Apple iPod success squeezes Sony

vbimport

I just posted the article Apple iPod success squeezes Sony.

GristyMcFisty used our news submit to tell us that the
success of Apple’s iPod has had major repercussions for Sony who once dominated
the portable music market with its walkmans. …

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8420-Apple-iPod-success-squeezes-Sony.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8420-Apple-iPod-success-squeezes-Sony.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Sony’s experience here is a microcosm for the music industry as a whole. They made business decisions on digital music that were designed solely to protect their distribution stranglehold with the intent of killing digital downloads. It took Apple, a consumer electronics company masquerading as a computer company, to get it into a form that ANYone would buy. But Hollywood’s still trying to poison the well. Can’t wait to see what happens next. Only one thing is for certain: they’ve seen the last of my money. :slight_smile:

lol, I dont drink the from the lossy format well, so as far as I’m concerned there is no water. I’m still waiting for a proper widespread online alternative to CDs. Sure, you see FLAC (lossless) downloads offered here and there for a premium price, but not much at all. Good things lossless is going to be an option (at least) with Sony’s new Hi-MD. No doubt stupidly restricted in some way tho, even for your own recordings. This is Sony, after all.

I’ve seen the new HI-MD device Sony is looking to push and although the specs look impressive, I won’t be buying one as the DRM is silly. I had to rebuild my machine at home and thanks to the DRM in SonicStage (OpenMG) all the tracks I had ripped into OGM format were no longer useable. At least with the Ipod you won’t get this. Sony have and will continue to lose customers thanks to it ‘stranglehold’ on music distribution. Minidisc will be dead within a couple of years anyway. Serves Sony right!