Apple iCloud popularity could lower NAND demand

vbimport

Apple iCloud popularity could lower NAND demand.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2011/07/swh0eg.jpg[/newsimage]Apple's upcoming iCloud service is expected to build on the company's iTunes success and introduce millions of music-lovers to a new way to store and access their collections. However, a report from IHS iSuppli considers the downside to the company's plans: a marked decline in demand for NAND flash memory storage in the years to come.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-icloud-popularity-could-lower-nand-demand-48508/](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-icloud-popularity-could-lower-nand-demand-48508/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

No $hit sherlock.

What the heck is this thing about apple?

All cloud based storage has the potential to reduce all local storage requirements.

My next door neighbour has a 500GB HDD, 35GB used… my missus has a 500GB HDD slaved to a 128GB SSD, almost 500 GB spare overall, I’ve got a 500GB HDD i this laptop, almost 400GB spare …

Between the three of us, we could get away with a combined storage of about 200GB, down from 1600GB.

Given that 90% of the OS files are common between all three machines … and 30% of the HDD is dedicated to the OS alone, you could shave another 40GB’s off … we’re down to 160GB …
My missus has 10GB of itunes songs … along with 1million other people … shave 999,999 * 10GB off …

Honestly … so long as you’re happy to be completely the same as everyone else, you could end up with a 2GB Bootstrapper SSD in your machine, and end up with a virtualised OS in the cloud, where 99% of your files are common property, and 1GB of the above is dedicated to your personal files, although there’s no reason they wouldn’t be stored in the cloud, apart from security …

Virtualisation & “The Cloud” are the biggest threat to storage technology markets ever …

It’s possible that the summation of all common human knowledge could be stored on a few Terabytes of storage.

Business and A/V Content would still be separate, as most business content is original … although hollywood could outsource it’s storage, because the movie & TV industry in hollywood is bad rip-offs/remakes of overseas series/movies anyway :stuck_out_tongue:

Debro it’s about apple because they are the ones whose cloud service will actually have an noticeable impact before anyone else. And like it or not they will probably be the 1st to get the cloud functionality right (easy and seamless). With 100’s of millions of iOS devices out there, the introduction of cloud services could have a huge impact compared to competing services who don’t have any product ecosystem in place. If you believe there will be any impact, that is. The product ecosystem is a huge advantage in the cloud services area.

Personally I don’t care much for the concept. I have an iPad and iPhone and love the idea that some of my information gets auto-synced over the cloud. But for bandwidth and other reasons I have no interest in a cloud storage service for any of my data or content. I’d rather my home PC handle that.

I also don’t believe cloud services it will affect the flash market. We all want more storage on our devices, always. Thats not going to change and Apple are not going to stop making devices with more storage capacity with each product iteration.

I don’t need the Cloud to store my music, its all stored on the radio.:wink:

[QUOTE=ivid;2596492]Debro it’s about apple because they are the ones whose cloud service will actually have an noticeable impact before anyone else. And like it or not they will probably be the 1st to get the cloud functionality right (easy and seamless). With 100’s of millions of iOS devices out there, the introduction of cloud services could have a huge impact compared to competing services who don’t have any product ecosystem in place. If you believe there will be any impact, that is. The product ecosystem is a huge advantage in the cloud services area.[/QUOTE]
Given that Amazon has already been “clouding” company servers & data for several years (and drop-box has already showed the inherent problems regarding security of cloud storage), I’d suggest that most people are already heavily affected by cloud based technologies. Apple is simply the first consumer-oriented cloud based service that will blatantly affect a mass-consumer audience. And I can’t help but notice that google android has google synch, which already backs up alot of information to your google account regardless - Apple isn’t the first to do anything. Apple just has a better marketing department.

Given Facebooks & Googles history regarding personal information and advertising, and Apples patented security flaw regarding location tracking, handing over all your personal data to apple/google/facebook is a scary thought.

[QUOTE=ivid;2596492]Debro it’s about apple because they are the ones whose cloud service will actually have an noticeable impact before anyone else. And like it or not they will probably be the 1st to get the cloud functionality right (easy and seamless). With 100’s of millions of iOS devices out there, the introduction of cloud services could have a huge impact compared to competing services who don’t have any product ecosystem in place. If you believe there will be any impact, that is. The product ecosystem is a huge advantage in the cloud services area.

Personally I don’t care much for the concept. I have an iPad and iPhone and love the idea that some of my information gets auto-synced over the cloud. But for bandwidth and other reasons I have no interest in a cloud storage service for any of my data or content. I’d rather my home PC handle that.

I also don’t believe cloud services it will affect the flash market. We all want more storage on our devices, always. Thats not going to change and Apple are not going to stop making devices with more storage capacity with each product iteration.[/QUOTE]
Apple aren’t getting it all their own way :wink:
BAM http://club.myce.com/f161/amazon-sweetens-their-cloud-drive-unlimited-storage-ipad-support-322453/#post2596210