Apple Final Cut vs Adobe Premiere Pro CS3

Which one do you think is better because I’m thinking about getting one of the two. Price is not a factor.

What is your intended use and frequency of use? Is this for hobby, or professional use? What is your level of knowledge with video editing, and either of these programs?

Nice little review here could help

Hi :slight_smile:
Adobe have been long up there at the pinnacle. That’s what I would go with.

I will probably get it when I’m alot better then I currently am and for professional use,but one question is do I have to have a Mac or can I just get a Mac Operating system? And does it work with AMD Athlon 64 X2 processors?

You should also consider Sony Vegas, a new version of which was just released about a month ago.

I’ve got both Premiere Pro CS3 (part of the Creative Suite Master Collection) and Vegas Pro 8 on my system, and I’ve found Vegas to be much more straight-forward to use. It doesn’t quite have all of PPro’s capabilities, however it’s also more capable in some respects. I’ve found it to have a superior ability to work with compressed material like MPEG-2 ripped from DVDs, while PPro can’t play or work with these properly.

Vegas is also able to encode Dolby Digital 5.1, a capability PPro conspicuously lacks. Encore, which is included with PPro, can encode Dolby Digital 2.0 audio but the Surcode 5.1 encoder only gives you three trial encodes before requiring an additional $295 purchase on top of what you’ve paid for Premiere. This is one of the aspects of PPro that dissapointed me most. Fortunately, though, Vegas allows me to make up for it.

Does using MPEG-2 in your project andf then exporting to in the MPEG-2 quality downgrade the quality of your project? And is it much more straightforward than Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 because I have that and I was kind of looking for something that has a lot of features?

[QUOTE=cluelessidiot;1917934]Does using MPEG-2 in your project andf then exporting to in the MPEG-2 quality downgrade the quality of your project? And is it much more straightforward than Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0 because I have that and I was kind of looking for something that has a lot of features?[/QUOTE]

If your editor doesn’t have some kind of smart-encoding, then yeah using MPEG2 (or any long-GOP) format in your project will result in a quality loss. Sony Vegas does have smart-encoding for HDV MPEG2 video, and I believe it also applies to other MPEG2 as well.

I’d say Vegas is probably the easiest to learn. I tend to use it the most, except on the odd occasion where I need something an Adobe product (usually After Effects, though, not PPro) can do.

Generally a specialized MPEG editor like Womble complements the more professional products like Vegas, FCS or PPro quite well. The MPEG files that those can’t handle, Womble works with seamlessly.