Apple employee loses next gen iPhone prototype

vbimport

I just posted the article Apple employee loses next gen iPhone prototype.

Apple has contacted tech blog Gizmodo in an effort to have a prototype of the next gen iPhone returned after the blog purchased it for $5,000.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-employee-loses-next-gen-iphone-prototype-28715/](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-employee-loses-next-gen-iphone-prototype-28715/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

OOOPSIE!!!:bigsmile:

Yeah, that’s quite an oopsie. It’s cool to get a preview of the new iPhone hardware though, even if they weren’t able to check out the OS (since Apple bricked the phone remotely).

I’ve read this story several times on different websites and have seen 3 different prices, so which story is true? Is it just a publicity stunt? The last guy that lost a 4g iphone killed himself.

http://www.edibleapple.com/gizmodo-paid-10000-for-lost-iphone-4g/

I dont recall where I saw the 3rd price, but I do recall it being 15k :open_mouth:

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2511860]Yeah, that’s quite an oopsie. It’s cool to get a preview of the new iPhone hardware though, even if they weren’t able to check out the OS (since Apple bricked the phone remotely).[/QUOTE]

If Apple can brick a fone remotely I’ll never buy one. Pack of control freaks…

[QUOTE=paulw2;2511933]If Apple can brick a fone remotely I’ll never buy one. Pack of control freaks…[/QUOTE]

Ditto. However, I am looking forward to what they have planned for the 3rd gen Touch. I had a 1st gen, but took it back because I wasn’t happy with the quality of the video it played. Blocky during dark scenes, even thought the rip played flawlessly on my PC. We’ll see.

[QUOTE=Zzyzxroad;2511907]I’ve read this story several times on different websites and have seen 3 different prices, so which story is true? Is it just a publicity stunt? The last guy that lost a 4g iphone killed himself.

http://www.edibleapple.com/gizmodo-paid-10000-for-lost-iphone-4g/

I dont recall where I saw the 3rd price, but I do recall it being 15k :O[/QUOTE]
Even that story that you linked to now says 5K. “Update x3: Gawker editor Nick Denton said that the company paid $5,000 for the device”

[QUOTE=paulw2;2511933]If Apple can brick a fone remotely I’ll never buy one. Pack of control freaks…[/QUOTE]
I think it’s an opt-in only service part of Mobile.ME, but I could be wrong.

It’s a development model. Of course they’re going to keep control of it to keep any secrets out of enemy hands.

Note, you ever get one of those notices from your cell phone provider that they’re updating the software on your phone? Dude, any company can brick your phone, no matter what model. You better never use a cell phone again.

[QUOTE=negritude;2512209]It’s a development model. Of course they’re going to keep control of it to keep any secrets out of enemy hands.

Note, you ever get one of those notices from your cell phone provider that they’re updating the software on your phone? Dude, any company can brick your phone, no matter what model. You better never use a cell phone again.[/QUOTE]

No they can only disable the SIM card but a new SIM will work fine…

Yeah, with Apple being so tight with security I do wonder if it was a publicity stunt.

[QUOTE=raceman94;2512305]Yeah, with Apple being so tight with security I do wonder if it was a publicity stunt.[/QUOTE]
Looking at Apple’s history/culture, it’s HIGHLY improbable that this was a publicity stunt. They don’t need stuff like this to get publicity, they already get huge amounts of coverage no matter what they launch.

[QUOTE=Blu-rayFreak;2512355]Looking at Apple’s history/culture, it’s HIGHLY improbable that this was a publicity stunt. They don’t need stuff like this to get publicity, they already get huge amounts of coverage no matter what they launch.[/QUOTE]

And that’s just wrong, because most times they launch ill-conceived, overpriced junk.