Apple did it again: iPhone 5 breaks pre-order records

Guys, let’s keep the politics out, this is about the iPhone 5. I understand that you feel this is related but we’re now at a stage that it seems the beginning of the universe could be related to the iPhone :wink:

So please, let’s stick to the subject. This is the final warning, else the thread will be closed.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2655135]The sales of dedicated compact digital cameras has fallen significantly in the last year or two. Since the quality of the cameras in the phones is producing decent enough photos, a large % of people have abandoned the need for a separate compact. Meanwhile, the sales of DSLR have increased substantially.[/QUOTE]

There is no way built in cameras in phones can compete even with modest digital cameras…unless they have optical zoom.
I think there were a few several years ago, I was under the impression cell phones don’t have optical zoom, if that is so then my premise stands.
Only taking pics up-close is limited.
One has to qualify the term decent…

[QUOTE=Steve33;2655153]There is no way built in cameras in phones can compete even with modest digital cameras…unless they have optical zoom.
I think there were a few several years ago, I was under the impression cell phones don’t have optical zoom, if that is so then my premise stands.
Only taking pics up-close is limited.
One has to qualify the term decent…
http://www.unwiredview.com/2012/06/14/apples-idea-for-optical-zoom-stroboscopic-flash-etc-to-the-next-iphone-removal-back-panel-with-optics/[/QUOTE]

I agree with what you’re saying in regards to the quality and zoom not being up to the level of a standalone compact camera. However, the fact is, the sales of digital compact cameras has dropped significantly in recent times due to the cameras in cell phones. There is a large group of people who are happy with their cell phone photo quality for quick photos. People who want more have moved to DSLR as this section of the market has grown.

Guess that iSheep and their money is easily parted…

to be honest, i think that most like to be explained reason is fad

It is all about marketing… 8-(

I just got another good reason why I would never buy anything from apple. The new Iphone 5 cables have a chip in them make it hard for other companies to sell the cables cheaper. 30 dollars for a charging cable is a rip off. Just shows that apple is just like every other big company rip of t he little guy to make more money.

[QUOTE=samlar;2657739]I just got another good reason why I would never buy anything from apple. The new Iphone 5 cables have a chip in them make it hard for other companies to sell the cables cheaper. 30 dollars for a charging cable is a rip off. Just shows that apple is just like every other big company rip of t he little guy to make more money.[/QUOTE]
I’m surprised that it took 5 iterations of the iphone for you to realise that …

Love the attachement, Oly …
Ain’t that the truth …

Here’s the thing … what idiots are dumb enough to fork out for pre-orders of something they already have???

I rest my case.