Apple did it again: iPhone 5 breaks pre-order records

vbimport

Apple did it again: iPhone 5 breaks pre-order records.

[newsimage]http://static.rankone.nl/images_posts/2012/09/jtJveG.jpg[/newsimage]If Apple releases a new product it can be sure it will sell well. It just doesn't know how well, the iPhone 5 is another record breaking success...

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-did-it-again-iphone-5-breaks-pre-order-records-63826/](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-did-it-again-iphone-5-breaks-pre-order-records-63826/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Interesting story.

It’s significant to note that the technically aware people rate it as nothing special yet everyone still falls over themselves to buy one.

Originally it was all about the technology and what you could do with an iPhone but now I think it’s more of a perceived status symbol than anything.

[B]Wombler[/B]

This story makes me sick it really does.

How comes this occurs with this non-innovative overpriced junk but the Nokia 920 which looks and sounds incredible the result Nokia’s share prices drop mid announcement of it.

[QUOTE=Anthony1uk;2655007]This story makes me sick it really does.

How comes this occurs with this non-innovative overpriced junk but the Nokia 920 which looks and sounds incredible the result Nokia’s share prices drop mid announcement of it.[/QUOTE]First, because the liberal media elites promote their own kind. Nokia isn’t a company run by a liberal-minded CEO who supports the Democratic party. It’s my understanding that the CEOs of Apple and Google are both huge supporters of the Democratic party. And it’s no coincidence that they both get huge media coverage for everything they do. (I’m not saying Apple and Google aren’t significant companies, but everything they do isn’t necessarilly worthy of the media attention they get.) Second, the Nokia 920 runs Windows Phone 8, which is a huge threat to both Apple and Google.

Just goes to show you that the American Education System is working exactly as planned. The average American is about as bright as a 5 watt light bulb and will buy without question ANYTHING Govenment or Big Business feeds them without question.
Think of the rush to the Apple Stores when they bring out the Rhinestone encrusted Lady Gaga model, or the full Camo Rambo model.

I guess you guys never used an Apple phone, just your ‘hackable’ Android phones which is incredibly fragmented and just copied most of their stuff from Apple. 99% of them also look terrible

[QUOTE=BradWright;2655015]First, because the liberal media elites promote their own kind. Nokia isn’t a company run by a liberal-minded CEO who supports the Democratic party. It’s my understanding that the CEOs of Apple and Google are both huge supporters of the Democratic party. And it’s no coincidence that they both get huge media coverage for everything they do. (I’m not saying Apple and Google aren’t significant companies, but everything they do isn’t necessarilly worthy of the media attention they get.) Second, the Nokia 920 runs Windows Phone 8, which is a huge threat to both Apple and Google.[/QUOTE]

I think we can keep politics out of this. This has nothing to do with liberal anything.

Yes, please let’s not make this a political discussion. This is about the iPhone and it’s success (and I have no clue why people are so impressed by the iPhone 5 too).

The iPhone’s success is mostly based on design aesthetics, marketing, and brand recognition. This makes up for many flaws and stupid comments by their management.

When people see a phone with Microsoft branding they think of their slow and malfunctioning desktop.

Android it popular because of the number of different manufacturers promoting it.

[QUOTE=CharmedonWB;2655029]I think we can keep politics out of this. This has nothing to do with liberal anything.[/QUOTE]I was making a direct reply to another person’s question. Sometimes, I guess that entails politics.

Something makes me think that Apple is lying this time… or at least spinning the numbers… of course they sold out… did they make EXACTLY the same numbers of product the last time available for preorder? I doubt it… The post-paid cell phone market is drying up… how can Iphones sell in that number EVERY year when cellphone contracts run 2 years? This selling “record” numbers of an ever higher priced smart phone will come back to bite them when they get caught in the lie that iphone fever seems to last forever…

With the numbers of iphones allegedly sold @ $600 a pop, you’d think the cell carriers were giving service away for free!

I must admit I have a 4S but I am under contract for 2 years so I couldnt buy one of these even if I wanted too. ( Which I dont)

[QUOTE=Afferz;2655020]I guess you guys never used an Apple phone, just your ‘hackable’ Android phones which is incredibly fragmented and just copied most of their stuff from Apple. 99% of them also look terrible[/QUOTE]

My wife has an iPhone that I’ve used and being a bit of a tech head, I’ve used numerous phones on various other platforms as well.

The iPhone isn’t the end of the story as some people seem to think and I’ve always found some of it’s more deliberate limitations frustrating compared to other phones.

It has the potential to wipe the floor with everything else out there but unfortunately the features have been limited by Apple’s marketing strategy.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Afferz;2655020]I guess you guys never used an Apple phone, just your ‘hackable’ Android phones which is incredibly fragmented and just copied most of their stuff from Apple. 99% of them also look terrible[/QUOTE]

I guess you never owned an s2 or s3?

That being said. The insanity over Iphones seems pretty crazy. It’s definitely achieved a status beyond being a quality smartphone. It’s the label and its popularity that are selling the devices. I think its dangerous to be a fad, every fad passes.

[QUOTE=Zod;2655095]I guess you never owned an s2 or s3?

That being said. The insanity over Iphones seems pretty crazy. It’s definitely achieved a status beyond being a quality smartphone. It’s the label and its popularity that are selling the devices. I think its dangerous to be a fad, every fad passes.[/QUOTE]

Well said Zod, I couldn’t have said it better myself!

[QUOTE=olddancer;2655018]Just goes to show you that the American Education System is working exactly as planned. The average American is about as bright as a 5 watt light bulb and will buy without question ANYTHING Govenment or Big Business feeds them without question.
Think of the rush to the Apple Stores when they bring out the Rhinestone encrusted Lady Gaga model, or the full Camo Rambo model.[/QUOTE]

That’s a harsh statement buddy considering the US is the most successful economy of all time. It’s not in the best shape right now but over the course of history, it has been the best performer. You can’t achieve that when the average American is “as bright as a 5W light bulb”.

[QUOTE=FreqNasty_RiseS;2655117]That’s a harsh statement buddy considering the US is the most successful economy of all time. It’s not in the best shape right now but over the course of history, it has been the best performer. You can’t achieve that when the average American is “as bright as a 5W light bulb”.[/QUOTE]

What counts as most successful? The biggest of all time? I’ll give it that, but only because the US has the largest population for a 1st world country (nearly 300 million strong). That alone gives it a huge advantage.

200 hundred years ago the population of the whole planet was only 1 billion. I doubt any country historically could of had bigger numbers than the US because there weren’t enough people.

I would of though the Roman Empire, Egyption Empires etc… would have have been pretty successful in their hey day’s as well? Just not in size, due to lack of population back then.

It is a status symbol for many no doubt and that is why they are selling so well.
Not that I care for them but if they put a price tag of $1000, there would still be many that would think “this is the best, I have got to get it”.
It is after all, only a phone and all phones to one thing very well, make phone calls.
All that other stuff phones do…they do ok…“jack of all trades and master of none”.
Like…they take pics but even a cheap dedicated digital camera will smoke any of them.
Just my down to earth take on it…

[QUOTE=Zod;2655125]What counts as most successful? The biggest of all time? I’ll give it that, but only because the US has the largest population for a 1st world country (nearly 300 million strong). That alone gives it a huge advantage.

200 hundred years ago the population of the whole planet was only 1 billion. I doubt any country historically could of had bigger numbers than the US because there weren’t enough people.

I would of though the Roman Empire, Egyption Empires etc… would have have been pretty successful in their hey day’s as well? Just not in size, due to lack of population back then.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Roman and Egyptian Empires were successful in their day. I was referring to the most successful since the industrial revolution (which the UK started to their credit). I think Italy has done a generally good job with their economy over the years, like many places, it isn’t in the best state currently. On the other hand, Egypt has largely been a disaster in recent times. It’s been held back greatly by religious ideologies, like so much of the Middle East has been.

The US does have a big population but that counts for nothing if the majority of the people are dumb and disorganized. Africa and the Middle East have been around far longer than the US and other Western countries but how far have they progressed? Not very far.

I’m not American but I can assure you there will be plenty of people in Australia, Canada, UK, New Zealand, Japan and many other countries who will be lining up to buy the iPhone on its debut. It’s not just the Americans. In fact, Australians have a greater take up of Apple iPhones per capita than the US.

[QUOTE=Steve33;2655132]It is a status symbol for many no doubt and that is why they are selling so well.
Not that I care for them but if they put a price tag of $1000, there would still be many that would think “this is the best, I have got to get it”.
It is after all, only a phone and all phones to one thing very well, make phone calls.
All that other stuff phones do…they do ok…“jack of all trades and master of none”.
Like…they take pics but even a cheap dedicated digital camera will smoke any of them.
Just my down to earth take on it…[/QUOTE]

The sales of dedicated compact digital cameras has fallen significantly in the last year or two. Since the quality of the cameras in the phones is producing decent enough photos, a large % of people have abandoned the need for a separate compact. Meanwhile, the sales of DSLR have increased substantially.