Apple and U2 working on new audio format – that can’t be pirated

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Apple and U2 working on new audio format – that can’t be pirated[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2014/09/myce-u2-bono-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Apple and the Irish rock band U2 are working secretly on a new music format that should guarantee artists to get paid for their work. According to frontman of the band, Bono, the format will have so many advantages that users don’t mind to pay for the content anymore.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/apple-and-u2-working-on-new-audio-format-that-cant-be-pirated-72742](http://www.myce.com/news/apple-and-u2-working-on-new-audio-format-that-cant-be-pirated-72742)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

“Can’t be pirated” is strong talk. So far has any mass distributed content been able to make this claim and have it be true?

Apple and the Irish rock band U2 are working secretly on a new music format that should guarantee artists to get paid for their work. According to frontman of the band, Bono, the format will have so many advantages that users don’t mind to pay for the content anymore.

Lower the prices to a realistic level and you don’t need to invest in a new copyprotection,Bono(bo)!:bigsmile:
I remember when the 1st cd’s were released,they costed twice as much as an L.P.,while the production cost was less than half of that L.P…but those greedy bstrds wanted a premium for the ‘digital’ logo…:Z

If you can play it through an analogue output then it can be recorded, and that includes any loudspeaker!

So is their solution to produce a format that nobody will mind not being able to listen to?

The tie-up with U2 & Bonehead indicates it might be! :stuck_out_tongue:

After all, if things have reached the point where they are desperate enough to distribute their new album by mass-hacking iPods…

[QUOTE=roadworker;2737249]Lower the prices to a realistic level and you don’t need to invest in a new copyprotection,Bono(bo)!:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
The last U2 album was released at the lowest possible for 0.00 on iTunes. My wife asked me about it and I downloaded it for her. She didn’t like it that much but still was OK.

I vaguely remember being one of the many people happy when Apple finally offered music from the iTunes store that was essentially without DRM. It meant that newly purchased music (and upgrades of prior music) would work with more of my devices…

If this turns out to be something they implement, and it turns out to be as restrictive as prior “protected” music, it’d be a regression to the old days and I’d have to turn to Google Play and Amazon (along with the dedicated music distribution sites like Bandcamp) for music sans DRM.

then again, maybe it’d be for the best that I drop out of Apple’s ecosystem altogether.

[QUOTE=Albert;2737263]
then again, maybe it’d be for the best that I drop out of Apple’s ecosystem altogether.[/QUOTE]
:iagree:

Well, here’s a scheme they could use…audio watermarks in the downloads.

To buy the song, you must provide credit card info, home address, phone number, mother’s maiden name, name of your first dog (or other pet), most embarrassing moment, and other pertinent data. Wait three days for confirmation of information and voilà , you can hear your music. :stuck_out_tongue:

If the song finds its way online, the individualized watermark placed in your copy of the music leads directly back to you! Then the RIAA goon squad pays you a visit. :eek:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2737267]If the song finds its way online, the individualized watermark placed in your copy of the music leads directly back to you! Then the RIAA goon squad pays you a visit. :eek:[/QUOTE]
Reminds me of the eBook personalised watermarking I heard a while back.

If one happens to leave a bag of books behind on a picnic bench, sure that’s going to cost a small fortune to replace those books.

If that same person happens to leave their eReader behind at that bench loaded with watermarked books, they might think they only need to purchase a new reader. That is until a legal letter arrives in the post about sharing copyrighted titles.

As others suggest, it only takes an audio recorder hooked up to the headphone socket to rerecord the audio, something which I once did in the past to get around a few DRM crippled audio files. The only way to prevent that is add watermark detection in all hardware.

I know I stated this in the past, but I thought I’ll repeat here.

The way I see it is that bands in the future will need to perform to earn money. Digital recordings will just become promotional material, just like radio advertisers don’t charge people to listen to their ads!

A little more in-depth and how it compares with let’s say a beer bottle cooler:

[ul]
[li]A band creates a song and makings a recording of it, just like how a company designs a beer cooler to fit common bottle sizes and gets it ready for mass production.
[/li][li]The band advertises their work by posting their music online for free download and using Facebook, Twitter, Radio, etc. to announce it. For that beer cooler company company, they put out an ad on the radio, Facebook, etc. to announce it, e.g. that it cools your beer ice cold in 5 minutes.
[/li][li]People download the music and share it with their friends, which if a good song will get the band well-known. For that beer cooler company, potential customers hear their ad, head to the store to check out that gadget and tell their friends all about it.
[/li][li]As interest grows, the band will be requested to play in venues, at weddings, etc. i.e. their songs finally start paying off. As with the beer cooler, the customer loves the in-store demo, buys it and when their friends come around, they all want one of them also!
[/li][li]If the band gets popular enough, they’ll go on to perform concerts and earn even more income. Again, for the beer cooler company, bigger chains will want to stock it and place mass orders.
[/li][li]The band has the option of releasing their music on CD, selling T-shirts, etc. Yes, there are still collectors out there, just like how stamp collectors will not give up their stamp collection for digital images! Well, maybe not quite the same for cooler products though. :slight_smile:
[/li][/ul]

In my opinion, charging to download a song is the same as a company charging to listen to its radio commercial. It may make sense for a “Free Ads Paper”, but I think it should be history as far as music goes.

A plumber doesn’t earn a royalty every time one of their customers turns on a tap!

[QUOTE=Liggy;2737258]The last U2 album was released at the lowest possible for 0.00 on iTunes. My wife asked me about it and I downloaded it for her. She didn’t like it that much but still was OK.[/QUOTE]

My comment wasn’t especially aimed @ U2 or Apple,but to the multimedia industry as a whole…:wink:
I don’t even bother to search for that free album…:disagree:…I only like a handful of their songs…:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Albert;2737263]then again, maybe it’d be for the best that I drop out of Apple’s ecosystem altogether.[/QUOTE] Are you sure you’d be allowed to leave the cult just like that? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2737273]Are you sure you’d be allowed to leave the cult just like that? :p[/QUOTE]

Of course; no one company owns my loyalty! Why, If I ever–

the rest of this post becomes mysteriously censored, as Albert mysteriously disappears…mysterious-like!

Can’t be pirated? So they want to wipe out the Audio CD from our life? Remember, the last DRM from iTunes was removed by virtual burner, that record and rip in one step. But why the publishers and seller removed DRM from audio downloades and now want to come back with a newer and better system? Sounds to avarice.

@Kerry56
In the developer world there is still suspicion that Apple has a watermark (No DRM) inside each sold audio file where they can identify the purchase and so the one who give the music to others. There is still no acquittal.

There used to be rumors that if you burned a Copyrighted DVD and the copy was discovered being sold, they could trace the DVD back to the owner of the machine that burned it, I never really understood how that was possible and even now I still think its an Urban Legend.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2737284]There used to be rumors that if you burned a Copyrighted DVD and the copy was discovered being sold, they could trace the DVD back to the owner of the machine that burned it, I never really understood how that was possible and even now I still think its an Urban Legend.:)[/QUOTE]

If they were embedding drive or OS serial numbers in home-burned DVDs, someone on CDFreaks would have discovered it at least a decade ago. One or two of the resident experts might have been silenced with a non-disclosure agreement (for developing it), but not all of them. :iagree:

According to frontman of the band, Bono, the format will have so many advantages that users don’t mind to pay for the content anymore.
That sounds more like a challenge for to try to and crack it than giving money to Bono and Apple. :slight_smile:

agree totally! and of course neither he nor U2 ever did any ‘file sharing’! all this sort of thing does is piss (potential) customers off and throws down the gauntlet to crack the DRM or whatever. if it’s more important to stop people from copying your music, than have them listen to it, it’s time to pack in!!

What makes Bono think he’s worth pirating? :stuck_out_tongue:

If this new format can’t be pirated, I can gaurantee nobody will be stupid enough want to use it (that is, until Apple forces them… only a few sheep will scatter). How much spying, (falsly) accusing, and DRM-related gliches will the listeners have to put up with in order to play this new format? Too much. Is there going to be any chance of making otherwise legal backups? I doubt it. Aside from DRM and vendor support, will there be any real advantages over formats like FLAC, Vorbis, or Opus? I doubt it.