AOPEN CRW5224 and AOPEN CD952E

vbimport

Hi everyone
I just bought these: AOPEN CRW5224 and AOPEN CD952E
with the right media I can burn at 52x which really a good thing. But when it comes to CD to CD copying (or on the fly :slight_smile: ) thigns change. My CD-R is connected to IDE2 as Master and the CD-RW is connected to IDE2 as Slave. The funny thing is when I try to make an image, CD-RW reads about 40X according to FantomCD but the CD-R (which should also be 52X) doesn’t, it reads about 18-20X. This is really annoying since I can copy on the fly in about 7 minutes because of this. Making an image and then copying is faster but not preferred. I just wonder why the CD-R is below it’s performance. Any ideas?

Originally posted by xarux
My CD-R is connected to IDE2 as Master and the CD-RW is connected to IDE2 as Slave.
There’s your problem. When two drives are sharing one IDE-chain it results in a performance decrease when you’re using both drives:

When you’re running two drives on the same IDE-channel they will receive commands from the software. Unfortunately the IDE-channel only permits to run one command at the time and the second drive at the same channel is locked and cannot receive the information until the first command has been finished. So if you have two writers attached to the same IDE-channel both drives are likely to obstruct each other. This will result in a buffer underrun or in the worst case the second write process won’t even start.