AOpen, Acer, EFM and Subchannel QUESTION

vbimport

Hello,

I currently own an (antique) Panasonic 4x8 (no CDRW) and thinking of upgrading to something a bit newer. The AOPEN 1232A or ACER 1208 look like interesting drives, but … when I look up the CloneCD compatibility pages, the 1232A supports proper sub-channel read and write (RAW+96) but no EFM support, whereas the 1208 supports EFM but no RAW+96 write.

I always thought there was only one kind of subchannel data…

• what is this EFM thing?
  • How is it different than this 96 pieces of subchannel data (bytes or bits?)
  • why is it that an AOPEN drive can still copy SD2 even though it does not support EFM?
  • Why isn’t EFM just included in the 96 pieces of subchannel data?
  • How come no writer supports both EFM and RAW-96 read and write on data and audio?
  • Which do I want anyway? EFM or the RAW+96? Which is better? Should I just get one of each?

I’m just a tad confused… Kudos to anyone who can clear this up for me…

thanks

• what is this EFM thing?

This indicates if the writer can copy SafeDisc 2 protected game titles.

• How is it different than this 96 pieces of subchannel data (bytes or bits?)

There are two kinds of SubChannels: 16 bytes which is used for the SecuROM protection and some other protections. And 96 bytes which is roughly only used for PlaySation games.

• why is it that an AOPEN drive can still copy SD2 even though it does not support EFM?

Where did you read this? In my SafeDisc 2 list? Remember that my list is based on user experiences so it’s different from the CloneCD lists.

If would advise you to go for the burner that supports EFM since the lack of reading abilities could be solved by using a different unit and correct EFM Encoding cannot.

The writing abilities are (to my opinion) more important than the reading abilities.

Hope I’ve explained it enough. If not ask your questions! :stuck_out_tongue: