aonePLUS and aone PREMIUM, help needed asap

hi guys, i just joined this forum to ask this, seemed like the place seen as this is the site i kept coming across while looking for the answer but i never found it

anyway
, i have been using aoneplus dvd+r dl for around 2 years now i think, i bought a new bunch off of ebay but i was sent aonePREMIUM, and ive had nothing but problems and only realsied afterward that they were different

the discs just plain dont work, and if they do, it hurts to watch because its a struggle

i dont know much about the discs but from what i can tell, ricoh is good, and umedisc isnt so good

the aoneplus i have is ricoh-jpn-d01
these burn at upto 8x

the premiums are umedisc-dl1
and they dont even burn faster then 2.4x even though the packaging says 8x

the seller is telling me this, that the premium have replaced the plus and that plus are now finished and non-existant, then he goes on to say that i need updated firmwire to use them properly =/

i have a sony DW-Q30A and i dont know exactlywhere to look for updates but through windows,it tells me its up to date

can someone help filter the truth and the lies n tell me whats going on with these discs please?

ta:bigsmile:

[QUOTE=johnnyturk;2414275]i dont know much about the discs but from what i can tell, ricoh is good, and umedisc isnt so good[/QUOTE]

You’ve already figured out the answer to your own question. UME is a cheap low-grade media manufacturer, based in China. All the media they produce is C grade at best, and landfill material at worst. Do not use those discs. They’re worthless.

However, the seller is also correct, your DVD burner is based on an older model of Lite-On drive, and is most likely not going to have a clue as to how to handle those UME discs. So, you can buy a new DVD burner, to see how that works, or, you can just get some decent media.

If you’re looking for more RICOHJPN D01, then try to find some FalconMedia Pro DL discs. Search the forum for threads about Falcon.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I agree with Negritude :iagree:…since you appear to be a fellow Brit (your use of the word “ta” makes me think so), the Infiniti DLs I’ve used have also been RICOHJPN D01, so they may be worth trying. You’ll have to shop at a place that shows the MID for the media though, such as www.svp.co.uk (just in case Infiniti have switched manufacturers).

Edit: Hmmm…no Infiniti, but these Aone DLs appear to be RICOHJPN D01: http://www.svp.co.uk/consumables/blank-dvdr/double-layer/double-layer-non-printable/aone-8x-double-layer-dvd-r-aone002_spindle-tub-of-10.html

Might just be time to get a nice shiny new burner, though :bigsmile:

UMEDISC DLs…what a thought :doh:

great help guys, i just wonder if its true that aoneplus us getting replaced by premium cos if thats true then its a horrid change by aone

anyway, the buyer claimed to have PLUS in stock and has offered to replace all my discs

ill be more careful in future, cheers

[QUOTE=johnnyturk;2414498]
anyway, the buyer claimed to have PLUS in stock and has offered to replace all my discs[/QUOTE]

That’s handy :iagree:…let’s just hope they’re the same MID as the ones that worked for you before. :wink:

Aone’s have always been faked RICOHJPN D01’s, and were probably made by UMEDISC anyway. Their new product probably just uses their own MID instead of the fake one.

[QUOTE=jubjubbird;2414621]Aone’s have always been faked RICOHJPN D01’s, and were probably made by UMEDISC anyway. Their new product probably just uses their own MID instead of the fake one.[/QUOTE]

exactly.
The Aone brand comes directly from UmeDisc. Aone CD-R, DVD-/+Rs, +R DLs are made by UmeDisc.
Maybe the BD-Rs are still outsourced though.

It’s rare that UmeDisc uses their own MID for DLs.

johnnyturk: do you have an access to any Lite On, Samsung or Benq (1620-1655) DVD burner?
Could you please burn one AOne Premium DVD and post the quality scan here?
Thanks.

yep i can confirm that the plus have been replaced by the premiums. it happened around 6-8 weeks ago. As previously stated the ricoh jpn have always been faked codes but i have also found a far smaller failure rate on the new premium discs. just my luck i suppose. BTW im using a pioneer 116

Pioneer (along with NEC/Optiarc and Samsung, in my experience) are pretty tolerant of crappy media usually. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2416534]Pioneer (along with NEC/Optiarc and Samsung, in my experience) are pretty tolerant of crappy media usually. :)[/QUOTE]

You mean Pioneers support on dual layer media is much better as the competition. So it can sometimes burn decently on cheap stuff that is not MKM/FTI/RICOH(JVC made). :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=dakhaas;2416924]You mean Pioneers support on dual layer media is much better as the competition. So it can sometimes burn decently on cheap stuff that is not MKM/FTI/RICOH(JVC made). :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that too :bigsmile: :iagree:

I kinda meant both SL and DL though, my Optiarc/Pioneer (and Sammy) drives were the only ones that didn’t spit the crap stuff back out at me (I swear I would have got the middle finger from my LGs, if they had fingers :bigsmile: ).