AOL Turns 25 How Did You Start

vbimport

AOL Turned 25 this year and I was wondering,
How did you first connect?

I started way back when ( 1990 ) with AOL dial up.

Back in 98-99 when we were still being charged by the minute for dialup internet access. Used a few long-dead providers. My phone bills were massive :sad:

Then I went proper, unmetered dialup access with my cable provider (1999-ish), who I’m still with all these years later on broadband.

I guess it was about 2000 for me, and I got a extra phone line for dial up, then about 2002, I switched to Sat. service, way faster than dial up but it had it’s fair share of problems. Then in 2008 I switched to cable and I haven’t looked back.:bigsmile:
Now if they would bring out fiber optic that would be sweet :cool:

1999 with a dial-up connection, and as the evil kitty said the phone bill was a problem, btw i still have my modem and it works perfect after all this years of use.

I didn’t go broadband till about 2005

I was on Dial Up for a long,long Time :frowning:

@Arachne

Staying with the same provider for a long period has it’s advantages :smiley:

@touchdown

Now if they would bring out fiber optic that would be sweet

Hopefully soon, just jumped from Covad 1.5 to A T & T’s 3.0 and I want more.

At work I have 5.0 and I am starting to feel it is slow. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=bean55;2520276]I didn’t go broadband till about 2005

I was on Dial Up for a long,long Time :frowning:
[/QUOTE]

2002 here for broadband, we were one of the last two areas in the city to be done. My mum, who lives close to the city centre, got broadband long before I did. At least I could go use hers. :bigsmile:

I got cable about 2 years ago and there’s nothing like it, I don’t think i could stand a slow download.I still have aol mail,my wife wanted to keep it.I remember the downloads that were disconnected or timed out.:iagree:

screamin’ and cryin’ the blues:cool::bow:

Cable here was twice the price, had to settle for what I got till something better comes along cheaper.

I didn’t have any other chooses either till 2008, and at that I can only get cable, DSL is 1200 feet short of a switching station (at least that’s what AT&T says) so that service is not available.

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2520298]…and at that I can only get cable, DSL is 1200 feet short of a switching station (at least that’s what AT&T says) so that service is not available.[/QUOTE]

Same for me, cable’s the only option I have, good thing I’ve been happy with the service overall. Too far from the exchange for DSL.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2520316]Same for me, cable’s the only option I have, good thing I’ve been happy with the service overall. Too far from the exchange for DSL.[/QUOTE]

yeah, compared to dial up and Sat., cable is the cats meow…:smiley:

[QUOTE=touchdown_1;2520328]yeah, compared to dial up and Sat., cable is the cats meow…:D[/QUOTE]

Hehehe, nice choice of words :wink:

Definitely tons better than dialup (I’ll trust your judgement on the Sat. part, as I never used it) :smiley:

Hehe, my mum was never unlucky enough to be saddled with dialup, but she says she wouldn’t touch it with a ten foot pole. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=bean55;2520252]I started way back when ( 1990 ) with AOL dial up.[/QUOTE]

Well, i started communicating with other idiots via the Bulletin Board Systems (BBS). Had my own BBS (Remote Access for DOS). We “mailed” each other via echomail (Frontdoor and G-echo for the win!). It ran on MS-DOS 6.22 with a Novell Lite network share to another computer via a 50 ohm coax cable. It dialed automatically every night to synchronise all the posts. I’m so proud of it, because i built it all by myself and tuned to software to complete automation. Loved it.

Then came IRC and the internets. No more use for BBSes(unless you want to host a telnet server for old time’s sake).

I started ruining the internet first via … Compuserve dial up… :o
Come on… i was young! I did not know! I only had a Zyxel modem!

Then came the “free” dialup ISPS. The ISP was free, the connection wasn’t.

After that, ADSL and still doing that.

I started with AOL but i don’t remember the year. At the time they were the only ISP to offer unmetered dialup and i stayed with AOL until ADSL went live on our exchange in 2003, then switched to Pipex with a 512k connection.
I’m now with o2 as they have an unbundled presence at our exchange, which is cheaper and faster than the BT network can provide.
We’re due fibre by the end of the year, so if the price is right i may switch ISP again. :o

@Mr Belvedere

I started ruining the internet first via … Compuserve dial up…
Come on… i was young! I did not know! I only had a Zyxel modem!

AOL wasn’t much better in the early days :disagree:

@Marloyd

I got cable about 2 years ago and there’s nothing like it, I don’t think i could stand a slow download.I still have aol mail,my wife wanted to keep it.I remember the downloads that were disconnected or timed out.

I too still have AOL because it’s the only thing the wife will use for mail. :smiley:
And yes I still remember the disconnects and dropped signals, and that annoying sound :frowning: when it did drop.

@vroom

1999 with a dial-up connection, and as the evil kitty said the phone bill was a problem, btw i still have my modem and it works perfect after all this years of use.

I did at least start with the unlimited connection for $19.99 a month.
Used the standard built in modem in the old Compaq.

@Dee

We’re due fibre by the end of the year, so if the price is right i may switch ISP again

May switch? :smiley: Come on admit it you will switch :bigsmile:

AOL is still around, wow.:eek:

I always thought of AOL as the world’s first virus.

I first got on line in 1998 with the local phone company on dial up then in 2000
the cable company decided to do a trial with broadband. I was the first person
in the county to get hooked up and free service for 6 months for being a tester/
guinea pig and it made me feel good to know I was the first at something after
all these years. lol :bigsmile:

I’ve been with them ever since that first day that I got hooked up it has been 10
years now :eek: :eek:
WOW!!! does time ever fly by it seems like it was only yesterday. :doh:

[QUOTE=bean55;2520404]@Dee

May switch? :smiley: Come on admit it you will switch :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]If the price stays at £24.95 for a 40mbps unlimited connection, then i’ll go for it. :slight_smile:

[B]Dont get ALO in south Africa
what did i miss ;-)[/B]