Ao Lin 16x DVD-R

[QUOTE=mogster;2070403]Thought I’d sign up and post since this was just about the only page I could find concerning AO LIN DVDs. Bought some myself off ebuyer, pretty cheap at £5 for 50. Burned about 1/4th of the pack so far, no problems as of yet.

Nero DiscSpeed seems to reckon they’re Verbatim brand - MMC 03RG20. They do actually have a very similar feel to the verbatims, the die colour looks exactly the same to the verbatim and the label side also has the same feel, just without the glossy verbatim logo.

Hope you guys can give me some input =)
I’ll run a quality scan with DiscSpeed and upload the screenshots later, however, it seems DiscSpeed has gone AWOL on me.[/QUOTE]

Hi mogster,
unfortunately your media are most likely fake - they are not made by Mitsubishi Chemicals (Verbatim) nor its OEM partners, but by some company from China or Hong Kong, which is using a “stolen” MID code instead of its own or some licensed…

[quote=mogster;2070403]Thought I’d sign up and post since this was just about the only page I could find concerning AO LIN DVDs. Bought some myself off ebuyer, pretty cheap at £5 for 50. Burned about 1/4th of the pack so far, no problems as of yet.

Nero DiscSpeed seems to reckon they’re Verbatim brand - MMC 03RG20. They do actually have a very similar feel to the verbatims, the die colour looks exactly the same to the verbatim and the label side also has the same feel, just without the glossy verbatim logo.

Hope you guys can give me some input =)
I’ll run a quality scan with DiscSpeed and upload the screenshots later, however, it seems DiscSpeed has gone AWOL on me.[/quote]Does the package say where the discs are made?

Also, can you make out the hub code of the discs? [There should be a code near the hole in the middle that might be hard to see]. If you can make out the hub code, please post it, and we can tell you if they’re just B-grade reprinted Verbatim or fake, like [B]pepst[/B] suggested. :flower:

Here’s what I can see:
722M and DVD-R on the shiny inner edge…

That doesn’t sound too much like genuine Verbatim. I believe it is a Hong Kong fake.

Well, the reviews for them aren’t bad, and they all burned fine, no verification errors… is it safe to say they’re ‘good’ fakes? Or should I copy everything off them and have a moan at ebuyer?

[QUOTE=mogster;2070413]Here’s what I can see:
722M and DVD-R on the shiny inner edge…[/QUOTE]
Definitely fake. :sad::sad::sad:

Time to moan at ebuyer. Fudge, there’s quite a lot to copy off them.

edit
What exactly does this mean… that they’ll become unreadable after a few months or something?

(can’t edit last post)

All it says is that burning at 16X was too fast in the LG ;). It doesn’t say anything about possible degradation, unless you rescan (under identical conditions) at regular intervals in the future and compare.

Hmm… well, I scanned some Sony DVD-Rs that I had, they came out about the same, just their PI error rate was half that.

Since the texture and die of them is identical to a verbatim disc, I’m just gonna burn up the rest at low speed and hope for the best. They where cheap anyway, better than the value crap they sell at Tesco.

Oh, and I think these discs are manufactured by some company called “Abcron” since their “PlayO” brand discs share the same HUB code according to a thread that google turned up.

I knew these were fake just from looking at the crappy packaging. :wink:

[QUOTE=mogster;2070485]Hmm… well, I scanned some Sony DVD-Rs that I had, they came out about the same, just their PI error rate was half that.

Since the texture and die of them is identical to a verbatim disc, I’m just gonna burn up the rest at low speed and hope for the best. They where cheap anyway, better than the value crap they sell at Tesco.

Oh, and I think these discs are manufactured by some company called “Abcron” since their “PlayO” brand discs share the same HUB code according to a thread that google turned up.[/QUOTE]

These media are made by Guangdong Aolin Magnetic Electric Industrial Co., Ltd, the same manufacturer is making a media also for Playo and other crap brands.

Very interesting.
Curious to see how long it’ll be before the dye starts to corrupt.

In the meanwhile I’ve submitted a support ticket to ebuyer, they’re a reputable retailer, so I expect they’ll exchange them for something else without any fuss like they usually do.

[QUOTE=dakhaas;1993593]By packaging style alone I’m expecting something with a faked MID.
Let me guess they abused MCC’s MID.

Wonder how much I guessed right. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
SPOT ON !. I’m getting good at this. :stuck_out_tongue: