Anyway to get better writes with this crap media? (Memorex DVD+R DL 8x RITEK S04)

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Lite-On SHW-160P6S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Liteon SHW-160P6S crossflashed to a SHM-165P6S. From now on I will only get Verbatim discs but in the meantime what can I do to get the best results possible out of the RITEK S04 discs with my burner? I enabled Force Hyper Tuning and Online Hyper Tuning and burned at 4x and got this result:

General Information
Drive: LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S
Firmware: MS0R
Disc: DVD+R DL (RITEK S04)
Selected speed: 8 X
PI errors
Maximum: 677
Average: 72.05
Total: 2152883
PI failures
Maximum: 208
Average: 1.22
Total: 290765
PO failures: n/a
Jitter: n/a
Scanning Statistics
Elapsed time: 17:07
Number of samples: 198197
Average scanning interval: 1.21 ECC
Glitches removed: 20

Doing a force burn at 2.4x resulted in an unreadable disc. Should I burn at 8x? Disable Force Hyper Tuning and/or Online Hyper Tuning? Thanks.

If you have a few discs left, you can try upping the write speed like you thought [probably not a good idea, though], strategy swapping, or burn a few more discs with only HyperTuning enabled to see if the drive can possibly learn the media [for this, you would have to burn about 4 discs at the same speed to see the results].

4x SmartBurn off, HT OHT OS on
That would be my recommendation. Haven’t burned many DLs but those settings work great for single layer discs.

What would turning Smart Burn off do? Also, Albert when you say only Hyper Tuning enabled do you mean the Force Hyper Tuning or Online Hyper Tuning. I’ve got about 13 more of these discs.

Damn all that Liteon stuff is useless, it bothers me that they have so many strategies and little tweaks that can be performed yet they hardly make a difference for me.

Just use a Pioneer, beats all of liteons special settings without the hassle lol.

I advise to disable ALL of the settings and only use the stock standard settings. Activate stuff and mess around after you have exhausted all other options. Sometimes the stock settings work fine and all that hyper stuff screws it around.

As cd pirate said, LiteOns arent the best DL burners, especially for non Verbatim DLs.

But with Ritek DL media it’s a hit or miss too. Some batches can be quite good while others fail at the layer break.

Here are 2 Verbatim DLs that I burned at 2.4x with the first one having Force Hyper Tuning and Online Hyper Tuning turned on and the second one with them off.

I don’t really know if the results can be compared across media but it seems it does better with them turned on. I would have thought that the Verbatims would have scored better though. I guess my burner just sucks.

LiteOns are tolerant, but not great, DL burners. The A1 series was pretty good with DL burning, but the rest are pretty much just OK, in my experience. They can make great burns, but they are not as consistent as [comparing today’s drives] the Pioneer x12/x15 series and the Optiarc 7200 series.

Any recommendations on doing changing the writing strategy? Pretty much all of the RITEK S04 discs I burn have a result similar to that which I posted (though most aren’t as bad), where it starts out acceptable but gets bad toward the end of the layer. Also for some reason, the second layer results are much better than that of the first layer.

edit: Nevermind, it looks like OmniPatcher doesn’t support my drive.

Hi. I also had the same problem. You can go with a Pioneer DVR-115/215, it does a good job with Ritek DL media. I tried with the LiteOn’s default settings (SB enabled) and the result was terrible.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2135282]Hi. I also had the same problem. You can go with a Pioneer DVR-115/215, it does a good job with Ritek DL media. I tried with the LiteOn’s default settings (SB enabled) and the result was terrible.[/QUOTE]
All newegg has is the 116 and 216.
Is the 116/216 this years model? What’s the difference?

Can someone explain the media strategies to me? Do they contain more info than just what write speeds to use? Here are the available media codes that I can swap the Ritek S04-66 with:

[QUOTE=shawnmos;2136608]All newegg has is the 116 and 216.
Is the 116/216 this years model? What’s the difference?[/QUOTE]

116/216 are the latest ones, check the Pioneer section.