Anything to remove label residue?

I’m not sure this question fits here, but it doesn’t seem to sit anywhere else either. :confused:

I use Avery 1" x 3" removable labels on jewel box lids to identify DVDs. They work great, but leave a sticky residue when they’re removed. All the solvents I’ve tried to remove the residue (mineral spirits, isopropyl alcohol and acetone) have left a very cloudy area on the clear plastic jewel box lid.

Does anybody know of anything that will remove the residue and leave the lid clear?

Thanks for any help.

Try something like “GoopOff” or one of those. They are oil-based. Alcohol is the least corrosive option.

Just use whatever oil you use for cooking, or even liquid margarine.

Oil usually works for removing this kind of glue.

Soaking in hot water and detergent is good too.

Give WD40 a shot. I have gotten ink out of a carpet with that stuff, and have never seen it damage anything.

Maintenance folk across the land swear by a product called “Goo-Gone”.
It is the best product I have used to remove adhesive residue without damaging the substrate.

That’s Goo-Gone, [B]NOT[/B] to be confused with Goof-Off !!

[quote=DrageMester;2145060]Just use whatever oil you use for cooking, or even liquid margarine.[/quote]Thanks, Drage. I tried it and it does work, but getting rid of the oil takes a little work.

[quote=Andrew G;2145164]Give WD40 a shot. I have gotten ink out of a carpet with that stuff, and have never seen it damage anything.[/quote]That works as well. It leaves a little oily residue, but dishwashing detergent gets it off.

[quote=jflan;2145175]Maintenance folk across the land swear by a product called “Goo-Gone”.
It is the best product I have used to remove adhesive residue without damaging the substrate.[/quote]I’ll give that a try.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. :slight_smile:

I always have good luck with Goo-Gone