Anything I can do with cheap DVD+R DL or should I bin them?

Once upon a time…

… ere I was a pucker CDFreak :wink: I purchased a spindle of ZERODEFEX (ROTFLMFAO) 2.4x DVD+R DL disks (ImgBurn info appended below). Is there anything that I can do to make it worthwhile using these disks? Force a slower write using MediaCodeEdit etc? Or should I just send then to the big recycling bin in the sky?

I’m strapped for cash at the present, so using them for non-essential stuff like movies and tv-series would help tide me over.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Slainte

midders

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-E10L LE07 (USB)
Current Profile: DVD+R DL

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 4,173,824
Free Space: 8,547,991,552 bytes
Free Time: 927:32:74 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x

DVD±R DL Boundary Information:
L0 Data Zone Capacity: 2,086,912
Changeable: Yes

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: CMC MAG-D01-00
Book Type: DVD+R DL
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 2
Track Path: Opposite Track Path (OTP)
Linear Density: 0.293 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 16,580,607
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 2,283,519

Performance (Write Speeds):
Descriptor 1...
-> B0: 0x02, B1: 0x00, B2: 0x00, B3: 0x00
-> EL: 4173823 (0x003FAFFF)
-> RS: 6,853 KB/s (5.1x) - WS: 3,324 KB/s (2.4x)

You could save them for christmas and use them as decorations in the tree!
Many defex is one of a multitude of enets brand. If their marketing department would claim water is wet I’d demand independant verification.
The disks are made by CMC and are not exactly regarded as among the better ones but apparantly they sortof work in some burners - I take it from your post yours is not one of them. Perhaps you could give them to a friend or, better yet, an enemy!
The available options for usable dual layer disks are Verbatim, Verbatim, Verbatim. Or perhaps you could try Verbatim. If you find both made in India and made in Singapore, the latter would be preferable.

Another case of wasted money.-

[QUOTE=midders;2433568]Is there anything that I can do to make it worthwhile using these disks?[/QUOTE] Use them as ninja throwing-stars (shuriken) to pester your enemies. :iagree:

LOL, remembers me of that South Park episode… :smiley:

[QUOTE=midders;2433568]

I’m strapped for cash at the present, so using them for non-essential stuff like movies and tv-series would help tide me over.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, use them for non-critical stuff by all means - i.e. stuff you’re only likely to watch the once or stuff you have backed up elsewhere should the el cheapo discs fail.

That is of course, if you can convince your nice LG drive to burn them successfully. My E10N (the non-LS version of your drive) is VERY fussy about disc quality. Paws crossed yours is less so…:wink:

EDIT: Having typed all that, I too get the feeling, on re-reading your post, that your LG is staying true to form and turning its nose up at the discs. In that case, give them to someone you don’t like, or wish to no longer be friends with. :bigsmile:

Thanx for the input, guys and gals.

Yes, my E10L does tend to “fart in the general direction” of these disks; I seem to remember that about 1 in 3 would work, with most of them failing at the layer-break or even earlier.

Oh, and even if they do burn successfully, my standalone DVD Player (Denon) “picks it’s nose” at them; the Yamaha I had before would play anything I threw in it, even cheap crap, but the laser went bye-byes :frowning:

Slainte

midders

Hehehe. For future reference, I find Philips players/recorders will play practically any grade of discs as well. I’m on my third (had 2 players, now have a recorder) - bought for that reason. :wink:

Yup, I’d say ditch the discs, or invest in a Sammy/Optiarc/Pioneer drive for dealing with any further cheapies. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=midders;2433946]Thanx for the input, guys and gals.

Yes, my E10L does tend to “fart in the general direction” of these disks; I seem to remember that about 1 in 3 would work, with most of them failing at the layer-break or even earlier.

[B]Oh, and even if they do burn successfully, my standalone DVD Player (Denon) “picks it’s nose” at them[/B]; the Yamaha I had before would play anything I threw in it, even cheap crap, but the laser went bye-byes :frowning:

Slainte

midders[/QUOTE]

Hey midders,

thats the point.
Even if burned & verified successfully, means not much in case of quality & reliability. :wink:

I think the DVD fairy must have waved its magic wand at these disks, or at my LG drive, because I’ve now burned over a dozen of them without any problems AND they started working in my standalone :smiley: