Anything as good as Plextor Premium 2 for ripping with SATA?

vbimport

Hi all…

Years ago I ripped a lot of CDs in my collection using several Plextor drives. The final ones I got were a Plextor Premium 2 and a Plextor 760A, both IDE (not SATA). I still have these drives. I also have a few current generation LG Blu-Ray writers that I use most of the time for movie viewing and such.

I have a new computer build that I’ll be ripping from, but it doesn’t have onboard IDE, just SATA.

I’ve seen people discussing various options (use old IDE drive with an IDE card, get a newer, SATA drive, etc.), but there doesn’t seem to be any definitive word on 1) which of these options is better, 2) if there are any SATA CD rippers that are as good as the old Plextors, and 3) if not, what IDE card works best with these old IDE CD rippers.

Can anyone who’s researched this let me know? I looked here for discussions on that, but most of them have just kind of petered out without any resolution.

• Tim

Are either of those Plextor drives really top shelf CD rippers? Unless your discs are damaged or have some screwy copy protection scheme pretty much any drive will be able to rip them fine. With the Accuraterip database you can tell if your drive doesn’t rip a track correctly.

That said, there’s a thread on IDE controllers here. The most recent posts are pretty current. I tested several PCIe IDE controllers and reported the results.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2714390]Are either of those Plextor drives really top shelf CD rippers? Unless your discs are damaged or have some screwy copy protection scheme pretty much any drive will be able to rip them fine. With the Accuraterip database you can tell if your drive doesn’t rip a track correctly.

That said, there’s a thread on IDE controllers here. The most recent posts are pretty current. I tested several PCIe IDE controllers and reported the results.[/QUOTE]

I think that the two drives I mention used to be considered top-shelf rippers, back when I bought them (many years ago :slight_smile: ); don’t know what’s considered great now.

I used to rip with EAC and Accuraterip, with pretty high accuracy settings for EAC, and it took me a really long time to rip them (tho’ they were as accurate copies as you could get, I guess).

I would then use MediaMonkey (which I use to manage my audio library) to tag everything precisely.

Since MediaMonkey now includes Accuraterip, I believe, I had been thinking about using that; it would be nice to have that “keep ripping and take the average” methodology of EAC, but using both EAC and MediaMonkey wouldn’t be as easy and would take much longer, as before.

Thanks for the link to IDE controllers - I’ll take a look there!

Still, I wonder if any old-guard CDFreaks people would know what’s “as good as the old IDE Plextor drives” for accuracy - sure, I can compare using Accuraterip with the drives themselves, but wonder if it’s worth using drives as old as these are to do the work.

• Tim

I dont think that there are currently any drives that can come close to the old plextor’s and i dont believe that we will see drives that can come close to the old plextor/yamaha CD burners.

If you still have the old plextor drives then get an IDE controller and use them only for ripping, if not try some of your current drives with EAC and see how they perform.

So I couldn’t find a local store that carried IDE cards (at least not right near me), so I ordered the StarTech one that’s talked about here as being good.

Meanwhile, I bought a JMicron JM20330-based IDE/SATA converter, and I’ll try that to see how well it works. Eventually I’d prefer an actual card, but I’d like to compare how well each work.

What’s your personal experience with the JM20330? Has it worked well in general for you? From what I read here, as long as you’re only reading from an optical device, it generally works well. One thing I wonder is how any ripper software could accurately pass low-level control commands via a converter like that.

• Tim

[QUOTE=vroom;2714425]I dont think that there are currently any drives that can come close to the old plextor’s and i dont believe that we will see drives that can come close to the old plextor/yamaha CD burners.[/QUOTE]
The facts are not in evidence on this one. Some of the early LG multi-format SATA Blu-Ray drives are fantastic CD burners on par (or better) than a Plextor Premium. I have done extensive testing of both with old and new media. Unless you need Plextor exclusive features like gigarec IMHO there is no reason to be clinging to the old Plextor drives for CD burning.

In terms of ripping the reviews say the Plextor 755/760 is a good top shelf ripper, but I haven’t seen any reviews that show the Plextor Premium to be one. Here a BenQ 1650/1655 is a great choice also edging out the 760 slightly in the reviews cdrinfo did.

[QUOTE=Stereodude;2714565]The facts are not in evidence on this one. Some of the early LG multi-format SATA Blu-Ray drives are fantastic CD burners on par (or better) than a Plextor Premium. I have done extensive testing of both with old and new media. Unless you need Plextor exclusive features like gigarec IMHO there is no reason to be clinging to the old Plextor drives for CD burning.

In terms of ripping the reviews say the Plextor 755/760 is a good top shelf ripper, but I haven’t seen any reviews that show the Plextor Premium to be one. Here a BenQ 1650/1655 is a great choice also edging out the 760 slightly in the reviews cdrinfo did.[/QUOTE]

Huh, interesting - when I got the Plextor Premium 2, I had read reviews that said it was a good one (even ordered it from Germany, since it wasn’t available in the US when it came out). I have the 760A, but that’s also IDE. I have 3 generations of LG drives, not sure which ones may have been similar to the ones you mention.

I’ll see what I can find on cdrinfo then.

• Tim

[QUOTE=tbessie;2714598]I have 3 generations of LG drives, not sure which ones may have been similar to the ones you mention.[/QUOTE]I’m referring to the G_W-H20_ / G_C-H20_ drives. The first blank can either be a G or B (if they have HD-DVD support or not). The 2nd either a L or N (if they have Lightscribe support or not).

Today I took my Plextor Premium 1 from the shelf,connected it to my usb 2.0 to sata/ide converter,flashed it to firmware 1.07 (last time I used it was still on v 1.05 :eek:)and putted it back in business,as external drive.
I’m fed up with things like riplock,slow EAC ripping speeds in secure mode and the occasional audiocopyprotection choke from my MatSHITa :Z
I bought my Premium in 2003,a real Japanese build,for only to use it on special occasions.
That drive is more than 10 years old now,and has done hardly 50 rips over all these years.
And now I can use PlexTools Pro XL 3.16 again if I get in trouble with some audiocd’s…:bigsmile:

Classic Rainbow ripped @ 19.4 X average speed in EAC Secure Mode…:bow::bow:
Same cd with my “riplock removed” LG BH08LS20 is 3.4 X average in EAC secure mode…:Z

@roadworker

Today I took my Plextor Premium 1 from the shelf,connected it to my usb 2.0 to sata/ide converter,flashed it to firmware 1.07 (last time I used it was still on v 1.05 )and putted it back in business,as external drive.

hey there, could you be so kind and share with me what kind of Delock converter are you using please? the link is not working well; What OS, Burning software? I appreciate it,

@tbessie
what is your latest experience with JMicron JM20330-based IDE/SATA converter please? thank you

[QUOTE=cdfreeqs;2777755]@roadworker

hey there, could you be so kind and share with me what kind of Delock converter are you using please? the link is not working well; What OS, Burning software? I appreciate it[/QUOTE]

Not available anymore @ the manufacturer’s page,but here’s another link :

Updated my OS several times since using the converter,and so far,it works from win 7 to win 10.
I hardly burn audio cd’s anymore,but if I do,it’s usually with Nero or Padus DiscJuggler…

Thank you for your feed-back, Now I have to decide which device to choose IDE to USB or IDE to PCIe card. How about the nero version, in time, I’ve found that not every version support AMQR.

I appreciate it.

[QUOTE=cdfreeqs;2777779]How about the nero version, in time, I’ve found that not every version support AMQR. [/QUOTE]

TBH,I really don’t know which is the latest version with AMQR support…I know it was supported in Nero 7,but I’ve skipped a few versions after that 1,and AFAIK,the option is not available anymore in Nero 2015 and Nero 2016,it seems…
As for myself speaking,I was never a real fan of AMQR,because it doesn’t comply with the RedBook standards,so you can’t predict it’s compatible with all older cdplayers you have…

If you’re after a supported software,maybe you can give PlexTools a try…

Hello
with Windows 10, without native ide, we can use card adapter (pci, scsi, usb, et…)
I use my old pletor PX 40TS scsi again with an old olso scsi adaptec card (29160_ ultra 160scsi)
@ 17 X average speed in EAC Secure Mode: Work fine.
Sorry, i don’t really know write with this tools !

:musical_score:

Extremely late answer, but I think Nero v5.5? At least that’s the latest version supporting Yamaha’s DiscT@2 burning :slight_smile:

AMQR have proved to be very compatible with all older hardware CD-players I’ve tested, all the way from the old '80s Philips ones. It is only larger pits and lands making a 74minute CD a 60 minutes in effect (pits and lands are extended by 15%). You can however do that to a larger extent with a Plextor supporting GigaRec which can more than double that (extend pits and lands by 40% if memory serves me right).

However, just like you I don’t like to use options not compatible with the standards and so I only make such discs for testing purposes (never tried to create a negative GigaRec CD to make a +40% disc though and so don’t know how compatible that is).

Hmm, I still use XP and Adaptec’s ASPI for this and have never tried Windows 10, but PX-40TSi and PX-40TSe (external) are my preferred Audio ripper even though I have a pile of old Plextors including 2 brand new Premium2 and a Plextor Premium.
However, thanks for the info… I just assumed it would not be compatible… The next natural question though would be… Where on this planet can we find a PCI-e Ultra SCSI 50 pin card compatible with more recent motherboards? :smile:

PCIe to PCI adapters may work, should anyone ever need to use a legacy card. Of course, use of such adapters requires your card to be low-profile, or you have to have an adapter and a case which allows you to install the card in a different location.

Thanks Albert, I figured it had to be done using an adapter… Oh well, I have a spare motherboard, a spare processor spare RAM and two spare 2940AU SCSI cards (the original bundled with UltraPlex back in the day) and even a 29160N SCSI card so I’ll survive some more years using my XP setup :wink: