Anyone using G-DOCs routinely?

vbimport

I have used Google-Documents calendaring for years. For my shop, for my family, for Hubby’s group.

But this morning, I was twinking around with the Spreadsheet offering (I do this every couple of years, and never been pleased with it).

And I’m still not pleased. It imported several good size Excel and LibreOffice spreadsheets accurately, but SORT functions were severely limited.

I haven’t tried to create formulas yet but it read and functions with many IF THEN ELSE and LOOKUPs. It’s done this for a few years, though. I am wondering if someone’s using G-DOCs - spreadsheet or word-processor - with any regularity. Is there still a file-size limit on each document itself?

I use the word processor semi-regularly, when I have a letter to print or just to write text notes to myself.

(there’s more info about Spreadsheet size limits and the other Docs formats in the link below)

Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides size limits

Documents, spreadsheets, and presentations you create, as well as files that you upload, have some limits built in. For instance, files you create or upload that are larger than 25GB can’t be viewed within Google Drive. There are also limits, specific to file type, listed below.

Documents: 1,024,000 characters, regardless of the number of pages or font size. Uploaded document files that are converted to the Google documents format can’t be larger than 2 MB.

Spreadsheets: 400,000 cells, with a maximum of 256 columns per sheet. Uploaded spreadsheet files that are converted to the Google spreadsheets format can’t be larger than 20 MB, and need to be under 400,000 cells and 256 columns per sheet.

https://support.google.com/drive/answer/37603

The 20Mb limit is better than it was two years ago - I think it was 2Gb at one time because our film-database was too large. It’s tripled since then into the 6Gb range when converted back to a spreadsheet system, so I’ll upload and test that.

I did a 4-sheet (one spreadsheet, 4 ‘pages’) earlier but it was small, although all the flow-thru calculations and look-up formulas worked.

It still lacks so many data-entry functionalities that it will be difficult for an Excel user to create and maintain “cloud-based” G-DOC spreadsheets. Google seems to have made headways in Capacity. Now they need to improve Form & Function if they want to seriously take their ‘cloud services’ into the profitable rather than the base-level arena.

But at least it’s another step.

While I often use G-Docs, I too am disappointed with their spreadsheet capabilities. I have considered moving to Office 365 so I can have my Excel spreadsheets on the go.