Anyone tried M-Disc?

vbimport

EDIT: D’oh, nevermind. I just realized M-disc doesn’t have a BR version yet.

Whats an M-Disc Please ?
did google and came up with 2 myce threads :wink:

[QUOTE=diane7;2638578]Whats an M-Disc Please ?
did google and came up with 2 myce threads ;-)[/QUOTE]

http://millenniata.com/ :flower:

And very interesting technology it is too!

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks
very expensive here in South Africa R2.500 .
Ill stick to my verbatum - @ R 69 for 25 original .
havent found a place that sells single M-disc .
interesting read .

Just 4 interest found somplace in RSA selling 10 m-discs at R720 :frowning:

Yeah but what you’re really paying for is the security of the data.

I’d gladly pay that to be able to archive to discs where I knew the data layer wouldn’t degrade.

The usual writable optical formats are too unreliable as the dye layer degrades over time. M-Discs are immune from this as the data layer is made from inorganic materials and this makes them a very attractive proposal for archiving data that you just can’t afford to lose.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=diane7;2638578]Whats an M-Disc Please ?
did google and came up with 2 myce threads ;-)[/QUOTE]

Sadly the forum search doesn’t work as well as google. I tried mdisc, m-disc, and mdisc and came up with zilch. And there’s not a thread in blank media with any tests. I was more interested in burn failure rates and personal experience, but at the current size/price I’d never be able to afford them.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2638590]Yeah but what you’re really paying for is the security of the data.

I’d gladly pay that to be able to archive to discs where I knew the data layer wouldn’t degrade.

The usual writable optical formats are too unreliable as the dye layer degrades over time. M-Discs are immune from this as the data layer is made from inorganic materials and this makes them a very attractive proposal for archiving data that you just can’t afford to lose.[/QUOTE]

When I first read about them yesterday, for some reason I was thinking they were BDR discs, so $20/5 discs seemed like a bargain. Then I saw they were DVD’s. Wow! And shipping on their site is like $13.50 for one set! That comes out to $1.50 / GB, which is nuts. 2TB of M-Disc would cost you $3000! Okay if you bought the 25 packs it’d be $86.58, or $1.29/gb, or $2598/2tb, but still…

I could buy 25 hard drives for that price and have FAR more data security than M-disc because you could have 2 mirror drives at 12 different physical locations. I have a feeling their only clients will be government where waste is the name of the game.

[B]Edit:[/B] Just tried adding ~2tb of M-discs to my cart. Shipping is FAR more reasonable in bulk. $18.22 for 18 25-packs, so $1323.22 total. $0.65/gb. A lot better than my previous calc, but that’s still ~13 hard drives for the same price, 2x @ 6 locations, etc. The ONLY benefit I can think of is, if their claims are accurate, you wouldn’t have to do any maintenance on the discs like you would with HD’s (spin them up every few months to prevent lubricant from drying on the spindles). It’s too bad though. I was excited to see someone was trying to address the longevity problem. A BDRXL M-disc would be awesome, but it’d probably cost $300 / disc.

[QUOTE=Guavaman;2638611]Sadly the forum search doesn’t work as well as google. I tried mdisc, m-disc, and mdisc and came up with zilch. And there’s not a thread in blank media with any tests. [/QUOTE]
:disagree: You can find some tests here: http://club.myce.com/f76/millenniata-m-disc-dvd-r-326519/

[QUOTE=pepst;2638613]:disagree: You can find some tests here: http://club.myce.com/f76/millenniata-m-disc-dvd-r-326519/[/QUOTE]

Gasp! I didn’t even think to look for Millenniata, but the thread title does say M-Disc. I’m blind and forum search doesn’t work. Sorry about that. Thanks!

Edit: I searched on “M-Disc” again. Found it. Page 2 near the bottom. Hate that newB feeling…

[QUOTE=Guavaman;2638611]Sadly the forum search doesn’t work as well as google. I tried mdisc, m-disc, and mdisc and came up with zilch. And there’s not a thread in blank media with any tests. I was more interested in burn failure rates and personal experience, but at the current size/price I’d never be able to afford them.

When I first read about them yesterday, for some reason I was thinking they were BDR discs, so $20/5 discs seemed like a bargain. Then I saw they were DVD’s. Wow! And shipping on their site is like $13.50 for one set! That comes out to $1.50 / GB, which is nuts. 2TB of M-Disc would cost you $3000! Okay if you bought the 25 packs it’d be $86.58, or $1.29/gb, or $2598/2tb, but still…

I could buy 25 hard drives for that price and have FAR more data security than M-disc because you could have 2 mirror drives at 12 different physical locations. I have a feeling their only clients will be government where waste is the name of the game.

[B]Edit:[/B] Just tried adding ~2tb of M-discs to my cart. Shipping is FAR more reasonable in bulk. $18.22 for 18 25-packs, so $1323.22 total. $0.65/gb. A lot better than my previous calc, but that’s still ~13 hard drives for the same price, 2x @ 6 locations, etc. The ONLY benefit I can think of is, if their claims are accurate, you wouldn’t have to do any maintenance on the discs like you would with HD’s (spin them up every few months to prevent lubricant from drying on the spindles). It’s too bad though. I was excited to see someone was trying to address the longevity problem. A BDRXL M-disc would be awesome, but it’d probably cost $300 / disc.[/QUOTE]

Apparently they’re working on a Blu-ray version but I’m not sure what stage this is at.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2638638]Apparently they’re working on a Blu-ray version but I’m not sure what stage this is at. [/QUOTE]

The twitter feed on their website says its at least 1 year away. Still, if the DVD version prices are any indication…

As of 2 days ago:
"@itsOhJay We are currently developing a Blu-ray style M-DISC that will have similar storage capacities to current Blu-ray discs."
"@itsOhJay But those discs are still in dev and are at least 12 months or more from release."

The M-discs do not have any hard coat scratch protection and are scratched very easily. If their longevity claims prove to be somewhat accurate, they will be best used for data that does not require regular access in the future.

And judging by the reviews here, they aren’t too reliable, either.

Thanks for that link blacklodge, saves me wasting my money yet again. The LG burner is actually pretty good, well so far and it was silly cheap at around £13 ish.
With the crazy prices for the discs at the moment I think I will definitely wait to buy and try. To make coasters at around £4 a disc (with shipping,) well I think I would cry!

I suggest reading the “amazon review” carefully, you will notice that there is absolutely no info that werent known to us before… And moaning about drive incompatibilities with a spanking new tech disc is just…lame.

You’re right [I]chef[/I], but I will still wait for more feedback and the price of the discs to be more reasonable.

Sure, but this is storage media (at least for me.) New tech or not, drive compatibility is kind of important…

Sure it is important but every new ODD technology was incompatible to the previous

DVD is not compatible with plain CD drives, Blu-ray is not compatible with DVD, …

technology is not compatible, the compatibility is made by combodrives which are able to handle all of the named technologies.

But the guy said this LG drive was supposedly compatible. Now if it’s misleading information on the part of LG, this reviewer not understanding the specs properly or whatever, that I don’t know.

Still, would be offputting to spend 50 bucks on a bunch of media that doesn’t work on a drive that’s supposed to be compatible with it.

[QUOTE=chef;2647798]And moaning about drive incompatibilities with a spanking new tech disc is just…lame.[/QUOTE]

See below.

[QUOTE=H3rB3i;2647837]DVD is not compatible with plain CD drives, Blu-ray is not compatible with DVD, … [/QUOTE]

That argument is actually not applicable to M-Disc as they do not use a new format. Burned M-Discs use the standard DVD+R format and according to their site should run on any DVD+R/RW compatible drive. According to the Millenniata website:

[B]How can I access my data on an M-DISC?[/B]
Once written, the M-DISC can be read or played on any quality DVD drive that supports the common DVD+R/RW format. Most DVD drives that were manufactured after 2005 and almost all Blu-ray or BD drives support this format.

Yes, you do have to have a special burner capable of burning M-Discs because it requires a higher power laser, but you should not need any special drives to read it. Sounds like the discs aren’t living up to the manufacturer’s claims.