Anyone tried fw 1.6 for PX-708a

Has anyone tried the fw 1.6 from plextor.be?

i have updated my 708a to fw1.06 and it works fine for me. no problems at all. dunno why others are gettin problems. maybe the 708a has a mind of its own…

I created 3 disks so far with 1.06, all seems to be fine.

Hi!

I tried it, too!
I had no problems when burning, but the error rates on my media aren’t better than with 1.04.
Has anyone else recognized, that 1.06 doesn’t support Mount Rainier anymore? This is the reason why I went back to 1.04, as there aren’t real advantages with 1.06.

Legnerp

i still havent tried 1.06…

Has anyone else recognized, that 1.06 doesn’t support Mount Rainier anymore?

is mount rainier support only for CDRW and not available for the DVD-/+RW for the px708a/uf?

@shoestrings

Advertising promises CDRW and DVD+RW, but in fact it is only supported for CDRW no matter which FW applied! :frowning:

Hi!

OK, I flashed the RPC1-version of 1.06 from the Dangerous Brothers and now Mt. Rainier appears again… strange… perhaps I had an “early” version of 1.06 before…

Legnerp

Originally posted by Legnerp
I had no problems when burning, but the error rates on my media aren’t better than with 1.04.

How do you determine error rates?

Have tried it with CD-R’s so far only. Works great with them.

@Derekasaurus Rex

I own a LiteOn DVD-ROM and I’m using KProbe with it. KProbe works on LiteOn DVD-ROMs too, but it’s written for LiteOn burners only, so it won’t give comparable results on my DVD-ROM; but if I only use my DVD-ROM, differrent media types will be comparable for me… :wink:

You can find many threads about KProbe (and the program itself) here in the forums, so just use the search button…

Legnerp

I have updated the firmware on my Px 708A to 1.06,I did not update to 1.05 do to the bugs. I have burned one Maxell 4.7 DVD+R disc at 8X as well as two multisession 700 meg CDs without any problems.

Works fine here as well.

But the running OPC technology seems more sensitive as it slows down to 4x at the end with most discs it writes at 8x, this also includes ricohjpnr01 which have never slowed down for me before.

updated to 1.06 , so far , no problems for me ,

robert ,

anyway, i upgraded my firmware 1.04 to 1.06 for my px-708UF external drive a while ago… everything went fine… but my problem is after rebooting and restarting winxp the drive can’t be detected properly… take note that the external drive is still turned on while booting… there’s a yellow exclamation point with the plextor external drive according to my device manager… what i did was turned the device off then turned it on again. the drive was properly detected after i did it… once again i reboot windows and the drive is still left on. and again the problem is that the drive cant be detected again… :frowning:
after that i repeated the whole process and still the problem persist… after rebooting i went back to 1.04 and the problem was gone… verified it again by rebooting atleast 3 time and no problems encountered. anyone here experienced this problem with their PX-708UF drive? btw i’m using a firewire port with my plextor. the problem only shows when using 1.06. :confused:

although the problem is not that critical but my only concern is when i’ll be rebooting i have to turn off the drive and turn it on again after booting process is complete…

is mount rainier support only for CDRW and not available for the DVD-/+RW for the px708a/uf?

The only aspect of Mount Rainier enabled with DVD+RW is fast format. No defect management.

Today I decided to upgrade to firmware 1.06 but as I did it I started having problems with packet writing. Everything worked fine with fw 1.04 . After fw upgrade it was impossible to write DWD+RW. I went back to fw 1.04 and the problems disappeared

I’ve burned about 10 discs since installing fw 1.06 and no problems so far. The lead out portion of Nero seems to take too long tho…anyone else notice this?

alshah,

Yeah, it does take longer. I also saw something I never saw before. Nero was doing something like adding borders for maximum compatibility.

See my thread here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90995

I ended up flashing back as I like Roxio better cuz I used it (Adaptec) since WAY back in the day with my blazing fast Plextor 4x CD-R burner (cost: $550)

I flashed 1.06 and started having problems. First, I usually burn either Verbatim Data Life Plus or TDK DVD+R. In both cases…the burner usually flies and does 8x with no problems. With the 1.06 firmware, I burned to TDK and first burn did up to 90% and slowed down to 3.9x. The second burn aborted 40% into the burn (never had a coaster before with this drive…). The third burn did 3.9x through the entire disk. Forget this firmware for me…went back and reflashed 1.04. Now…three 8x burns using TDK with NO hiccups. I’m sticking with 1.04. Hope Plextor gets the messages we’re all posting.

Bob

Nero 6.3.1.6.
WinXP SP-1
Plextor PX708A on IDE 2 as Master