Anyone know where I can find a SH-S203B burner in stock?

vbimport

Here I go to order this from NewEgg, and they’re out of stock. Now I can’t find the SH-S203B in stock anywhere!

Do any of you guys know of a trustworthy place to order this from that has them in stock?

Thanks.

I moved this to the Bargain Basement, since this is the better place for that question :wink:

You can’t rely on any dealer claiming he sells a 203B, many of them just ship a 203D since they don’t know that this is a different piece of hardware.

if u have circuit city avail, they have the retail sh-203b burners for sale. pricey tho. $79.99 + tax.

I already checked Circuit City’s web site, no results for the SH-203B.

Gone that quick? I should have stocked up.

And of course, the stupid question I’m going to ask is, what is the difference between the 203B and 203D? It seems from searching and browsing threads, that the 203D has slightly better media support and can burn a little faster with some media, so what’s the big deal? Also, can’t you cross-flash a D into a B if you’re that obsessed with one?

I have 2 of them ( SH203B) and they both died after burning about 50 discs at 20X.

I didn’t say I was really that obsessed with that drive, it’s just that I know it’s a good one thanks to the review on here and have had it recommended to me. But just for the heck of it I looked up the ‘D’ drive too, and got absolutely no results for any e-tailors.

The rest of my parts are should be coming by the end of this week, and I really need to get this drive somewhere.

try froogle.com

[QUOTE=31337;2101587]The rest of my parts are should be coming by the end of this week, and I really need to get this drive somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Well, the SH-203N is available and in-stock:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151154

It’s the same drive with the addition of Lightscribe, and it’s won the NewEgg customer choice award twice, which makes it more highly regarded than the 203B, at least by the people who bought it there.

If absolutely necessary, I’m pretty sure you can also flash your 203N with 203B firmware, if you find it works better.

Ok, went to froogle.

Have any of you guys ever heard of TechSunny, eTech4Sale, or Upgrade Nation?

[QUOTE=31337;2101619]Ok, went to froogle.

Have any of you guys ever heard of TechSunny, eTech4Sale, or Upgrade Nation?[/QUOTE]

I wouldn’t trust the product coming from any of those places. I don’t think their stock is accurate, and as someone said already, you’ll probably get a D instead of a B. Plus, if there are any problems, none of them will give you the kind of customer service that NewEgg does.

I really want to stress the idea that you should just get the 203N from NewEgg.

Well, the SH-203N has the same speed and specs as the SH-203B (just with the addition of LighScribe obviously)

Do you guys think that drive will still do a great job? I asume it should work fine with CodeKing’s FB/FR firmware, correct?

Just wondering, how exactly would it work if I were to use a SH-203B firmware on the SH-203N drive? Would it really make any difference, or should I just stay with the SH-203N firmware and then go to the FB/FR firmware after I’m sure it’s not a defective drive?

Thanks

If you are still looking…and have to have the 203B:

$21.66 at zipzoomfly + ship…

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=10006485-OP&prodlist=celebros

Edit…never mind it is an open box…

Is Zip-Zoom-Fly generally good for open box items? I might get that, but I’m kinda leaning towards the SH-203N if it’ll perform just as well.

Do you guys think I’d be ok getting the SH-203N and flashing with the FB/FR firmware?

I’ve seen them at my local Target, they were I/O Magic rebadges, not a guarantee since some of them were also LiteOn drives. Might want to take along a handy pocket knife…:slight_smile:

If you have access to an AAFES (Military Only), they are selling MAD DOG rebadges, which are all SH-203B for $30 for internal & $50 for external, I bought the internal, reflashed it with Samsung’s FW, and works like a charm.

No Target here, and no access to the military store either.

I think I might go with the SH-203N as long as it looks like it’ll perform just as well, and work fine with the FB/FR firmware.

[QUOTE=31337;2101668]No Target here, and no access to the military store either.

I think I might go with the SH-203N as long as it looks like it’ll perform just as well, and work fine with the FB/FR firmware.[/QUOTE]Heck just download the Sammy utility and make your own f/w’s and/or use MCSE :wink:

Um…yeah, I don’t know how to do that. I was just thinking of using the FB/FR firmware for it eventually. Do you think that this drive will work just as well as the SH-S203B? I mean it looks like it to me, but…

[QUOTE=31337;2101686]Um…yeah, I don’t know how to do that. I was just thinking of using the FB/FR firmware for it eventually. Do you think that this drive will work just as well as the SH-S203B? I mean it looks like it to me, but…[/QUOTE]Yes, the difference is minute if there is any.

That said being the owner of one I’d say they’re a mediocre drive except as a CD burner. Mine will likely never burn another DVD, especially since I just got a NEC 7200A :).