This just in:
That shed a lot of light on it. I didn't know that a soundfont was an .ini file (not that it matters).
I think I finally figured it out that different sound cards have their own soundfont. That would explain the changes over the years. That would also explain why old "Musinum" files I have made now sound so different.
There was one particular MIDI I liked that started with a single, powerful bass drum beat. It used to scare the doo-dah out of people when it first started. Now, it's not the same and useless to me.
A decade or so ago, a comp guru changed my soundfonts without telling me. I was so disappointed. All my MIDIs were useless; ruined. Now I know that they all "sounded" the same, just the sf was changed. Now I want to learn how to change sf files.
I'll look into WinGroove now.