Anyone Know or Like MIDIs?

vbimport

I love MIDIS, but have some questions for anyone who knows something about them.

G.

I used to use them a very long time ago but ask your questions and we’ll see if anyone knows.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I agree. Some of them are pretty attractive but I don’t think I’d wear one…

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2701814]I agree. Some of them are pretty attractive but I don’t think I’d wear one…

[/QUOTE]

Perhaps when you’ve had a few ‘jungle juices’ of your choice? :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2701814]I agree. Some of them are pretty attractive but I don’t think I’d wear one…

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2701857]Perhaps when you’ve had a few ‘jungle juices’ of your choice? :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

[B]You 2 Made My Day [/B][COLOR=“Red”][/COLOR] :flower:

From time to time, through comp upgrades and recoveries, the sounds of my MIDIs have changed noticably. Somewhere I picked up on something talking about “voices”; a “voice library” aka the instruments a player uses.

Well, I just had an old HD installed in my comp as a slave and I got into all the old MIDIs I used to listen to. Although they sound great, once again, they are changed. I liked them fine the other way, too, and some have suffered in the translation. They don’t have the same impact.

Anyone know about MIDI “voice libraries”, “instruments” or such?

G.

Years ago,I liked to play with the program WinGroove.
It made the midi’s much richer…:iagree:

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2701884]From time to time, through comp upgrades and recoveries, the sounds of my MIDIs have changed noticably. Somewhere I picked up on something talking about “voices”; a “voice library” aka the instruments a player uses.

Well, I just had an old HD installed in my comp as a slave and I got into all the old MIDIs I used to listen to. Although they sound great, once again, they are changed. I liked them fine the other way, too, and some have suffered in the translation. They don’t have the same impact.

Anyone know about MIDI “voice libraries”, “instruments” or such?

G.[/QUOTE]

The MIDI files are just descriptive details designed originally to be used by sequencers, synths, and other MIDI aware equipment, or in other words there’s no actual audio in there, which is BTW also why they’re so small.

It’s your audio hardware, drivers, or both that have changed, not the midi files.

The actual sounds played are either sampled or synthesised by your audio hardware so there can be quite a variation between audio cards, PCs, and other devices.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=diane7;2701859][B]You 2 Made My Day [/B][COLOR=“Red”][/COLOR] :flower:[/QUOTE]

Thanks Di…

[QUOTE=Wombler;2701949]The MIDI files are just descriptive details designed originally to be used by sequencers, synths, and other MIDI aware equipment, or in other words there’s no actual audio in there, which is BTW also why they’re so small.

It’s your audio hardware, drivers, or both that have changed, not the midi files.

The actual sounds played are either sampled or synthesised by your audio hardware so there can be quite a variation between audio cards, PCs, and other devices.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

I know there’s no “sound” in 'em. I know they are not .wav files.

I just realized that the various sound cards come with their own “sound fonts” (instruments). That’s why the changes over the years. Now, if I can find how to access and change their voice libraries, and if I can find others to replace them with, I can change sounds.

:bigsmile:

You may well indeed be able to use additional sampled sounds or reprogram existing sounds depending on your hardware. :iagree:

I think that’s one of the reasons though why MIDI files fell out of general use as you can’t really guarantee how they’ll sound from one PC to another.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Gaarry;2702603] Now, if I can find how to access and change their voice libraries, and if I can find others to replace them with, I can change sounds.

:bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

Tried WinGroove?..it’s old,but still runs on newer OS…
You’d be surprised what that old fart of a program can make your midi’s sound…:bigsmile:

This just in:

That shed a lot of light on it. I didn’t know that a soundfont was an .ini file (not that it matters).

I think I finally figured it out that different sound cards have their own soundfont. That would explain the changes over the years. That would also explain why old “Musinum” files I have made now sound so different.

There was one particular MIDI I liked that started with a single, powerful bass drum beat. It used to scare the doo-dah out of people when it first started. Now, it’s not the same and useless to me.

A decade or so ago, a comp guru changed my soundfonts without telling me. I was so disappointed. All my MIDIs were useless; ruined. Now I know that they all “sounded” the same, just the sf was changed. Now I want to learn how to change sf files.

I’ll look into WinGroove now.

:bigsmile: