Anyone keep trailers on purpose

I keep the trailers if they are of movies that I like. On Find me Guilty I kept the Boondock Saints trailer and on Kiss Kiss Bang Bang I kept the V for Vendetta trailer.

Not me
only primary title is backed up

not sure why this is in the anydvd forum, but i get rid of all the trailers. if there were any I’d want to save, I’d probably rip them out separately and save as an avi file on my computer or something…no need to waste space on the dvd.

I always do 1:1.

Movie only…

Do I keep trailers - Never
Do I keep some of the extras - Only if I can keep SL disk at “1-to-1”.

One of the funniest and best ever comes from “House of a Thousand Corpses” by Rob Zombie but the movie is not for the squeamish.

I always do 1:1, so I keep the trailers. Not a big deal in my opinion, for if I want to get to the main movie I just hit the MENU button.

Hello Folks,

I personally am only interested in making the best video copy of the feature Movie only as possible so I do not copy menus, trailers, subtitles or non-English audio streams.

@ doveplay,

It might helpful to make your Forum posting understandable that you explained exactly what software program you were referring to when you make reference to the “Menu button”.

Best Regards,
bjkg

ummm…the MENU button on my DVD remote. To go straight to the Title Menu so I can skip the previews and watch the movie.

@ Dr. Who:

When you say you make a 1:1 copy, do you mean that you make a bit for bit copy (minus intentionally corrupted sectors) to a DL disk (DVD9 --> DVD9) or do you copy the entirety of the original disk (menus, extras, extra languages, subtitles etc.) to a DVD5 using a MPEG-2 transcoder or encoder? The first choice would yield an identical copy of the original, but the second would yield copies which were severely lacking in quality due to the high compression needed.

As to the original poster’s question, I remove trailers as well as all extras and non-English language tracks. I sometimes keep the Director’s commentary but that is quite rare. I do retain the menus and the Studio logo animation which is displayed when the DVD is loaded. The studio logo is tiny- usually less than 20 seconds, and I prefer to start the DVD with it, rather than a “This video has been removed” screen. I also prefer to retain the menus as they are often quite small and useful for finding a certain scene without having to press the Next button on the DVD remove 15 times.

jasonwc, if you use CloneDVD2, you will not have the “This video has been removed” screen. It just takes it out altogether, like it was never there.

@strachan:

Ah, yes- I had forgotten about that feature in CloneDVD 2. Unfortunately, CloneDVD does not have the Deep Analysis or Advanced Error Correction options that DVDShrink has. At this time, I believe DVDShrink/Nero Recode provide about the best quality attainable through MPEG-2 transcoding due to the deep analysis and AEC options. Someone correct me if I am wrong here. I would prefer to remove the studio logo altogether but I do not want to do this at the expense of video quality.

There’s also another catch. CloneDVD will only remove studio logos/trailers and other crap if it’s not part of the menu. Some newer movies have been adding this directly in the menu so it can’t be removed with CloneDVD. Kung Fu Hustle is an example of a DVD that does this. DVDShrink can remove parts of the menu, but it will display a “This Video has been removed” screen.

Don’t forget - if CloneDVD can remove unwanted titles completely it doesn’t need to compress as much as Shrink or Recode. You must keep that in mind when you compare these products.
You could also use CloneDVD2 to remove unwanted titles without compressing and then use Shrink to compress. CloneDVD’s output is always 100% DVD spec conform, its output will always work 100% with Shrink. Writing can then be done with CloneDVD.

this is exactly what i do.

make all of my cuts in clonedvd2 in DVD+/- DL mode so it doesn’t compress then shrink has much less data to compress increasing the quality.

That’s a good idea. I should try that. It would be nice if CloneDVD implemented DeepAnlysis and AEC though. I guess they are going for ease of use over maximum customizability.

@Tru:

I was aware that CloneDVD removes the titles, rather than simply replacing each frame with a “This Video has been removed” picture. However, Deep Analysis, used with, or even without AEC, provides a significant quality improvement over CloneDVD’s output, even though Shrink has less space to work with.

there were rumors a while ago about clonedvd possibly implementing an encoder which would completely do away with all of these transcoding conerns.

not sure if it still is or ever was in the works though…

Thank you for your suggestion Tru and reasonnotrules. I just backed up Finding Nemo Collector’s Edition [WS R1]. Apparently Pixar really loves their extras. After removing all extras, non-english language tracks and director’s commentary, DVDShrink showed 77% (33% compression).

After using CloneDVD 2 I was able to make a backup with the menus and movie without any compression. It actually came to 4.06 GB. As you stated, CloneDVD2 is much slicker than DVDShrink. It replaced the deleted titles with a 2 second black screen so if someone tries to watch a deleted bonus feature they’ll be returned to the menu rather than having to stare at a “This Video has been removed screen”. It’s also great not having to press menu to get by the studio logo.

@reasonnotrules:

Well, I’m not sure how CloneDVD2 could use an encoder and make backups in an acceptable amount of time. DVD Rebuilder with CCE can create extremely high quality backups at high compression but MPEG-2 encoding takes a really long time. Both DVDShrink and CloneDVD 2 use transcoders. There is a quality trade-off but it takes much less time to make a backup. The big difference between Shrink and CloneDVD 2 is that Shrink uses a two pass system- the first pass called “Deep Analysis” scans each frame and decides how to best allocate the available bits so the scenes that need the most bitrate get it. Shrink’s Advanced Error Correction feature adds a postprocessing filter which further improves quality on DVDs with a lot of compression. However, both are transcoders and are significantly faster than any encoder. On a typical 2 hour movie, CloneDVD 2 will take 20-30 minutes to complete. DVDShrink with Deep Analysis and Smooth or Sharp AEC will take about an hour, give or take, and DVD Rebuilder will take 4-6 hours.

An encoder would increase quality at any compression ratio, but unless the compression being used was over 25% (with Deep Analysis) you’re not likely to notice the difference unless you look closely. The real advantage of an encoder is for TV Series where 35-50% compression is needed. At 45-50% compression, any transcoder is going to provide very grainy output with loss of detail, but an Encoder like CCE can do a fine job and will look as good as a transcoder at 15-20% compression.