Anyone here's modified their Radeon 9500->9700?

vbimport

I read about this at another forum and I was thinking if I should get one myself and do it. Its more than $100 difference between the two cards, and the 9700 rox, so if it really works and its easy, I think I’m going to go for it. But I want to hear about what people say first…
Will the card last me awhile? I know the 9500 runs DoomIII with playable framerate, and so 9700 will be even better… but will any crazy stuff other than that come out anytime soon that the card won’t be able to play??

Haven’t modified my card but i’ve used the Rage3d tweak. Not sure if thats the forum you found out about moding the card but, I’m sure you can find much info at www.rage3d.com.

No, actually, I heard from HardOCP, and this is the link I got from it:
http://www.maxdownloads.com/~ian/wizzard/

They don’t produce 256-bit 9500’s anylonger, so if you’re thinking of buying one now you’re out of luck.

You`ll need a 9500 nonpro with the 9700 pcb layout, which means that the ram chips are placed in a “L” formation (two on one side of the fan and two on the other)

Also the make of the ram are important, the Samsung2.6ns are the best, you can get a fullt o/c able 9700pro !! The “worst” is the Infineon3.3 which is hardly able to pass 300mhz ddr

The original clockspeeds of a 9700pro is 325/620 (310ddr)

If you hardmod it you can flash it with a 9700pro bios and you`ll never need to worry about patches etc in the future.

I was only able to get a Sapphire with Infineon3.3, so I`m on a 9700np softmod…works like a charm, but the 9700pro speeds are probably out of my range…maybe with ramsinks and a heatpipe…dunno

You wont find one i a store so your best chance is to get a second hand one…

Actually, I’ve found a couple of places that still have 'em in stock. And I just bought one for $220 CDN.

Btw, it is a Sapphire, but I don’t know what speed ram it is yet, haven’t really looked at it closely yet…

Originally posted by SkYLiNe
Btw, it is a Sapphire, but I don’t know what speed ram it is yet, haven’t really looked at it closely yet…

I remember reading that Saphhire is one of the brands that doesn’t overclock (convert) to 9700x…

Sapphire (or any Powered by ATI Boards) probably wont work with Built By ATI Boards.

uhhh :confused:

Sapphire (or any Powered by ATI Boards) probably wont work with Built By ATI Boards.

didn’t get that one…sorry

the first sapphires worked very well with the mod…but after the problems that ATI had with delivering chips most layouts of the boards changed…(L-shaped memory disappeared)

i searched 4 months…till i read somewhere that the chance in getting a “good” 9500np was only 40% or so.
If you get a 'bad"one…you have a problem…the risk is just to high

Then the modded firmwares for the 9500pro came so we could reach 9700pro speeds (with ramsinks)…

That is why i buyed my Sapphire 9500 pro…it rocks

By the way 3.3 ns (1000/3.3=303 mhz) isn’t that bad…the infinion 3.6ns memory is bad (1000/3.6 = 277mhz)

www.rage3d.com for more info
and
http://www.rage3d.com/board/forumdisplay.php?forumid=22

Um, i just got home… I’ll see if I can get the thing to work maybe tonight… but so far, the card seems to be the old style (L-arrangement for the ram), oh and its also has a red PCB…

How do I tell what the speed of the ram is?

dhc014: I didin’t get what you were saying either…

Dee-ehn: Most of the “success” cases I have read about at [Hard] Forums seem to be by Sapphire card, or else I wouldn’t have taken the risk to buy it. Anyway, I do hope it works, but if it doesn’t, its still a good replacement for the GeForce2 Ultra card currently in this system.

connect-3d seems to be good also for overcocking

for the speed of the ram you look at the text on the memory

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
I remember reading that Saphhire is one of the brands that doesn’t overclock (convert) to 9700x…

That is not true. There are only two manufacturers of ATI graphics cards in the world. One is ATI itself (production plant in Canada), the other one is PC-PARTNER in China (owner of Sapphire).
The only difference between “built by ATI” and “powered by ATI” on a hardware level is what type of memory-modules are used and the color of the PCB.
My HIS Excalibur 9500 Pro is built in China, has a red PCB and reference ATI-fan. Guess what’s written under the HIS-sticker?
ATI :slight_smile:

The softmod will work on any 9500 with L-shaped memory, however it’s not guaranteed that softmodding the card won’t give artifacts. That portion is luck, you need a GPU chip that didn’t fail to become a 9700.

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]
That is not true. There are only two manufacturers of ATI graphics cards in the world. One is ATI itself (production plant in Canada), the other one is PC-PARTNER in China (owner of Sapphire).
The only difference between “built by ATI” and “powered by ATI” on a hardware level is what type of memory-modules are used and the color of the PCB.
My HIS Excalibur 9500 Pro is built in China, has a red PCB and reference ATI-fan. Guess what’s written under the HIS-sticker?
ATI :slight_smile:

The softmod will work on any 9500 with L-shaped memory, however it’s not guaranteed that softmodding the card won’t give artifacts. That portion is luck, you need a GPU chip that didn’t fail to become a 9700. [/B]

Hmm looked it up and I wasn’t mistaking… I informed the guy that wrote this so it can be corrected…