Anyone here Diabetic?

vbimport

I know in a group this large some of you guys must be diabetic…

if so…how long have you been?
what happened to make you finally go get tested?
how has your life changed since?

*i’m asking cause…well i think i am…and i’m too chicken to go get tested…my mom is type2 insulin dependant…and recently…as of this past weekend…i’m great inside but the second i step in the sunlight…my right eye feels like glass shards are in it…and its super painful…which saying that…try driving with your eye watering to beat the band…its just natural instint to close the other…and forget going anywhere during the day…its all i can do to drive to work…with closing my eyes as much as possible…and getting home

so any advice…??? besides going to the docs…:slight_smile: yeah I’m going monday…cause i know i can’t go on like this…

[quote=Sexy_Southerner;2020436]I know in a group this large some of you guys must be diabetic…

if so…how long have you been?
what happened to make you finally go get tested?
how has your life changed since?

*i’m asking cause…well i think i am…and i’m too chicken to go get tested…my mom is type2 insulin dependant…and recently…as of this past weekend…i’m great inside but the second i step in the sunlight…my right eye feels like glass shards are in it…and its super painful…which saying that…try driving with your eye watering to beat the band…its just natural instint to close the other…and forget going anywhere during the day…its all i can do to drive to work…with closing my eyes as much as possible…and getting home

so any advice…??? besides going to the docs…:slight_smile: yeah I’m going monday…cause i know i can’t go on like this…[/quote]
Dont be afraid SS, great stides have been made in keeping this disease in check, make sure you do as the doctors say and I am sure you will be fine. You are not alone.:wink:

Nobody likes to go to doctors, but you just have to at least to know if there is smth wrong.
Last year I thought I had stomach ulcer, no pills helped and finally I got scanned from inside whatever the procedure is called (thanks God I didnt have to wait long and it was free - Canada, eh :wink:
There wasnt anything serious but pain was constant and I couldnt sleep.
I finally found a good Chinese doc who gave me some enzymes and some herbal stuff and now I drink coffee and eat all I want, I know I shouldnt but life is short :slight_smile:

About diabetis I saw a documentary the other day on northern communities developing it at scary rates. What they are doing now is turning back to natural fats (fish and so on), adding vegetables but cutting on sugar, pastry, bread and other processed foods. Looks like its working for them.

There is also a good book you can check out, probably one of the best on holistic ways and stuff - “you are what you eat” by Gillian McKeith.

Anyway, dont be a chicken, there are many here to support you.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-symptoms.jsp

For anybody who thinks they might be diabetic, get tested! Putting it off is killing you. Every time your sugar gets high, it damages your internal organs, and your sight. It can and will blind you if you don’t take care of it. :frowning:

[quote=Sexy_Southerner;2020436]

so any advice…??? besides going to the docs…:slight_smile: yeah I’m going monday…cause i know i can’t go on like this…[/quote]

Hope every thing turns out fine For you…:flower:
You have been through lots in life .
thinking of you keep well
di :slight_smile:

well i’m back…

borderline diabetic…
was what he called it…so i’m not full blown…and i’m NOT NOT …
sooo i have to check my blood sugar with this monitor thingie…every morning and every evening for a month and go back…

plus he said NO SOFT DRINKS!!! just kill me now please

[quote=Sexy_Southerner;2021170]
plus he said NO SOFT DRINKS!!! just kill me now please[/quote]

good now you can Just hit the hard stuff :bigsmile: :wink:

Glad U ok :flower:

Drink diet soft drinks as they don’t actually contain sugar. Yeah, they taste like poo but it’ll tide you over for a month.

I was told before that I was borderline diabetic. Haven’t changed a thing and other than some minor back problems that I’ve had for almost 8 years I feel better than ever.

Diet soft drinks are not always safe. Also, don’t ever believe that sugar free is safe either. Many sugar free products contain sugar substitutes that are just as likely to run your glucose up.

Look on the bright side, border line still gives you time to change your eating/drinking/exercise habits before you have serious problems. :slight_smile:

I know some things both of my parents were diabetic & so far I’ve been lucky never even testing borderline.Usually below 100.
Read about aspartame or nutrisweet I think you will decide against diet drinks or other things sweetenedwith it.
Now for more bad news try not eating anything with high fructose corn syrup especially for this month.It’s supposed to be worse for diabetics than even regular white sugar.
If you really want to make your doctor double check the results in a month go on a strict Atkins diet.That will bring your blood sugar down.

Diabetic killed my brother in law last year

Glad to hear you aren’t at full blown diabetes S_S. And I sympathize on not having soft drinks…I think I’d blow a gasket somewhere with no Cokes for a month.

yeah…and decaf tea without sugar…blehhhhh just throw some dirt in some water :frowning:

I am Diabetic and just found out 2 months ago. I was told I could control it with deit. I got a on the metformin pill and start my diet. I have lost 30 lbs. so far.

What did the Doc say about your eyes? Sounded like an infection. Not blood suger.

it will be allright SS.Been there for a long time (since 10 yrs old) and its a normal ritchual now.started out with beef & pork insulin then moved on to humulin,now on a full synthetic and its great compaired to the past!!!
as for your condition, it may seen difacult in the begining but its fairly easy to get use to and its actually a health diet, watch carbs and excersises(musts!!). I eat polish & burgers & pizza everyday just pay for it by taking extra insulin and yes i do take 4 to 6 tests a day,but it like second nature. so stick it out, you’ll feel much better if you’ve beeen running high for a while(over 200). good luck and ask any questions if you feel the need.

the eye …he said was dry eye …wth…it was weaping like i was crying…but i use some gentle tears drops he said it was too dry…so we shall see about that…as well…

[QUOTE=satelight7430;2021944]it will be allright SS.Been there for a long time (since 10 yrs old) and its a normal ritchual now.started out with beef & pork insulin then moved on to humulin,now on a full synthetic and its great compaired to the past!!!
as for your condition, it may seen difacult in the begining but its fairly easy to get use to and its actually a health diet, watch carbs and excersises(musts!!). I eat polish & burgers & pizza everyday just pay for it by taking extra insulin and yes i do take 4 to 6 tests a day,but it like second nature. so stick it out, you’ll feel much better if you’ve beeen running high for a while(over 200). good luck and ask any questions if you feel the need.[/QUOTE]

thanks…my mom said her doc told her to lose weight…and exercise…but dang i’m underweight and i run 80+ miles a week :wink: …so i think that should be enough ;D

Diabetes has a strong familiarity, i.e. it is more frequent in families where there is at least a person affected.

If your mom has diabetes type 2, there is a higher probability compared to general population that you will have diabetes too.

You can prevent this condition (or at least delay it as much as possible) with some dietetic measures. For example, reducing sugar intake, eat more regularly, avoid alcohol excess, etc. Running is not exactly an anaerobic exercise, so it can actually be not enough.

Also regular physical exercise is a good idea, the best option is walking, swimming or other aerobic exercises.

I’m not sure that your eye problem is related to the diabetes in some way. It seems more a form of conjunctivitis, maybe caused by the Spring. Are you allergic to something? Did you touch your eye with dirty fingers? Also an infection can cause such a thing.

Eye problems related to the diabetes are more limited to the retina, and usually arise only after many years of ill controlled diabetes (it seems that is the prolonged hyperglycemia to cause the retinal damage).