Anyone having a problem with NEC/Optiarc (PATA) on a JMicron controller?

vbimport

I’ve been using several NEC and Optiarc (PATA) drives on JMicron controllers for a few years and have never had any problems.
Recently i upgraded my PC and fitted a Gigabyte GA-X48 DS4 motherboard (X48 chipset), it has the same Jmicron controller as the the previous board a P35 chipset board, but my god i had loads of problems this time around.

Checked with Vista and XP the results were always the same.
Checked with different versions of CD-Speed including some very old versions, the results were still the same.
Tried 5 different versions of the JMicron drivers and even used MS default PATA drivers.
The burst rate was 38MB/s so that should have been fine and the drive was reported to be in UDMA 4.

I began to think my AD7200 had developed a fault. To confirm, the drive was connected to another PC and found the drive was perfect.

Pic 1 AD7200A on Jmicron (Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Pic 2 AD7200A on an ICH7 PATA controller.

Both tests with the same disc.

Anyone else having similar problems?

I don’t have this board.
Having looked at the manual, you should in theory have no problems.
However I wonder if the motherboard BIOS might hold a clue.
On the BIOS page, there is little to support my guess though.
I say this because, my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6. Has a BIOS that controls/limits the options with the secondary controller (Gigabyte SATA 2).
In my case it is about its “SmartBackup”.

Prior to this board I did have an X38 chipset borad, which failed.
As I couldn’t get an identical replacement I did consider the X48 chipset.
But was advised that the P45 would be a better option for trouble free computing.
So far that has proved to be the case.

On the GigaByte GA-X48-DS4, SATA is exclusive to the Intel ICH9R (6 ports). The GigaByte SATA that you mention is only there (on this board) to support PATA, which doesn’t seem to work well with optical drives.

BTW: The board is completely stable and an overclockers dream (awesome in that department).

Run the CPU usage test.

CPU usage is between 0% and 17%

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2164902]I’ve been using several NEC and Optiarc (PATA) drives on JMicron controllers for a few years and have never had any problems.
Recently i upgraded my PC and fitted a Gigabyte GA-X48 DS4 motherboard (X48 chipset), it has the same Jmicron controller as the the previous board a P35 chipset board, but my god i had loads of problems this time around.

Checked with Vista and XP the results were always the same.
Checked with different versions of CD-Speed including some very old versions, the results were still the same.
Tried 5 different versions of the JMicron drivers and even used MS default PATA drivers.
The burst rate was 38MB/s so that should have been fine and the drive was reported to be in UDMA 4.

I began to think my AD7200 had developed a fault. To confirm, the drive was connected to another PC and found the drive was perfect.

Pic 1 AD7200A on Jmicron (Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4
Pic 2 AD7200A on an ICH7 PATA controller.

Both tests with the same disc.

Anyone else having similar problems?[/QUOTE]

Hi Dee-27,

I had similar problems with my JMicron controller on my Intel X38 ASUS Maximus Formula. ASUS offered a RMA the motherboard, but i declined and used SATA drives for a while. A BIOS update to the motherboard inadvertently solved the problem for me, so i could use my beloved BenQ 1655!!!

HTH
NBK

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2165935]CPU usage is between 0% and 17%[/QUOTE]I was just wondering if there was any negative CPU%.

Hi Dee-27,

I am curious. What did you decide to do?

NBK

Hi NBK.
I found a fix but not a suitable one for me.
If the Jmicron controller has an IRQ reserved in the system BIOS for it. It clears the problem. No use to me as this would mean losing one of my Yamaha multitrack recording cards, as it uses the available (legacy IRQ).

I’ve disabled the JMicron controller and have gone all SATA drives.
For anyone else who needs a fix, Let the JMicron use IRQ 15 exclusively.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2167847]Hi NBK.
I found a fix but not a suitable one for me.
If the Jmicron controller has an IRQ reserved in the system BIOS for it. It clears the problem. No use to me as this would mean losing one of my Yamaha multitrack recording cards, as it uses the available (legacy IRQ).

I’ve disabled the JMicron controller and have gone all SATA drives.
For anyone else who needs a fix, Let the JMicron use IRQ 15 exclusively.[/QUOTE]

Hi

My JMicron controller shares IRQs with other devices…

Thanks
NBK

How about a pci/ide sil card Dee? I’m not familiar with this mobo you have.

I have a Silicon 680, Bob, but it’s not fitted. There are 2 PCI slots, they both have to accommodate my Yamaha recording cards. I could get PCIE x1 recording cards, but the ones i have were expensive and i really like them.

I have a PCIE x1 SATA link controller with 4 ports (2 connected to optical drives). I also have the Adaptec hardware SAS/SATA RAID card (4 ports) and running on the second PCIE x16 socket and the 2 SSD drives from that. The motherboard has 6 Intel SATA ports, port 0 and 1 have a WD and Seagate HDD connected. Ports 2 - 5 have optical drives.

I’m also having to consider a bigger case and, i have a ThermalTake Armor and you know how big that case is. :slight_smile:

The easiest solution (for me) was to disable the JMicron PATA

@NBK. Yep i have had no problems sharing IRQ’s before. But i guess with everything that is installed in the PC, i’m just running out of resources. Having said that, the GA-X48-DS4 is a great board. Its rock solid and really fast.

Hi Dee-27—Hopefully you can help me here…
I have a near 1 year old PC -M2N-SLI Deluxe…
Been working GREAT, until 3 weeks ago…
I have a Samsung SATA 203B burner that was Highly rated in here.
Worked great until 3 weeks ago…Only changes i done is that in Bios i went AHCI from IDE…Have gone back n forth on them since…Reason for AHCI is that i’m useing an eSata External HDD…found it don’t really matter whether its on AHCI or IDE…(unless U know different).
--------I installed the JMicron drivers for the AHCI.------
Anyway—I been haveing Blue Screen o Death after every 4th to 5 burn of music CDs…Yesterday I got this " I/O Device Error "…
Have now installed my Good old IDE NEC 3540A burner that still works GREAT…
Should I uninstall that JMicron driver from the Device Manager in SCSI and RAID controllers and go back to IDE in Bios…
its the JMicron JMB36X Controller…
Your Help on this is Appreciated…

Just updated my JMicron Drivers from 1.17.8.1 to 1.17.44.5
Went to configure n it said (JMB36X Raid Device is not found)
Excuse my ignorance…Does it mean that the JMB drivers are for RAID only, or RAID + eSATA only…
I do NOT use Raid (Dissabled in Bios) but i do use an External HDD on eSATA…My AHCI is Enabled in Bios at this moment…
If I keep getting problems with my Samsung SATA burner 203B and I DELETE this JMicron driver, will it still work n will my eSATA HD still work…

Hi MrScary.
If you remove the JMicron drivers (completely) the standard MS ones will be installed after a reboot. I found these worse than the JMicron ones.
It does appear that Jmicron make many different driver sets. The newest ones are not always the best. Maybe try some older versions?

Cheers Dee…
What I have found is that if you not useing RAID or eSATA then the JMicron is not really needed…
Why do these manufacturers change the mobos n drivers etc., n make it WORSE…The old IDE were much simpler to use…