Anyone Have the Time/Paitence to help a Newbie

… with what undoutably is going to be a stupid question :o

[Warning - in terms of PC’s and the like I rate an “incrediably dense” - proceed with caution!!]

Here’s the thing… just brought a new PC. Got all excited and downloaded the ‘Limewire’ program as well as a virus sheild and Firewall.

However, even before that I noticed that I couldn’t play media files for some reason!? Keep getting a message, specifically:

“Cannot play this media file. The file is either corrupt or the application does not support the format you are trying to play”

Didn’t pay whole lot of attention then but now I have downloaded some files (MPEG’s too be precise) and find I can’t play them.

I have the problem with Windows Media Player, RealPlayer (which I also downloaded) and ‘Nero Show Time’ (which ‘came’ with the PC). All give me the same annoying message :confused:

I have checked them all and (apparently) have the latest versions and so forth. So questions is…

What incredibably stupid/obvious thing am I missing or doing wrong??

Any help would be most appreciated! thanks.

You could try updating the codecs for Windows Media Player. The other answer is the files are corrupt which does happen using P2P software like Limewire.

zazonz hi,

You could try updating the codecs for Windows Media Player

Errm, codecs you say? Did I mention I was a bit thick about this sort of thing? :wink: In all seriousness though, I ‘Googled’ it earlier and saw those referenced. Can’t seem to find any to download though?

The other answer is the files are corrupt which does happen using P2P software like Limewire.

Ok, understood. But actually it’s with all media files that I am having the problem - including the ones that were seemingly randomly already on my PC when I brought it

go here. download and install one of these. The lite or basic is really all you need. To many codec’s can be a pain. Codec’s are files that let players play various file types.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Codec_Pack.htm

if you start playing around with something like file type MP4 you might need something a little more heavy duty but if your just starting out these will be fine.

bkf,

thanks for the pointer! Will give it a whirl.

your welcome :slight_smile:

Oh: also ditch limewire. A very bad place to be. Enough said

Oh: also ditch limewire. A very bad place to be. Enough said

:confused:

Oh dear… not so good then eh!? What’s better, I keep hearing about this ‘bittorent’ thing?

Can’t talk about such things here. Sorry Forum rules

oooh! Gotcha!! Apologies, my mistake. :doh:

For what it’s worth I haven’t/don’t/won’t use it for anything that could be construed as ‘illegal’.

I live in Thailand so… errrm… don’t have to :o

Not that I can even work out how to use the stupid thing anyway!

I always wanted to travel there… Sounds like a great place with really good food :iagree:

bfk,

Yes, excellent place and very interesting! Can be a little hard at times with language/culture barriers but I’ve been working out here 5yrs now so not all that bad :slight_smile: