Anyone Have The "Mad Dog" Utilities?

[qanda]This thread is about the Mad Dog Multimedia Megastor MD-16XDVD9. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Mad Dog Multimedia Megastor drive with MD00 firmware. It has the infamous “Lead-In Writing” problem. I’d like to re-flash it with the KC03 firmware I got from the Samsung Korea site, but the TSDNWIN program says “Not compatible with this drive” (of course). Anyone know of a hacked version?

Thanks,

Keith

Hi and Welcome!

are you sure, your drive is a recycled TSST TS-H652D (or M)? There is a tiny sticker about that on the back of the drive then.

If so, then you may have a look into my signature :wink:

Michael

Hi,

Yes, I’m sure. The drive model is “MAD DOG TF-DVDRW TSH652D”, the version is “MD00” and the OEM code is “MD”. Because of this, the Toshiba and Samsung flash utilities [U]would not[/U] work. I tried hacking the Samsung Korea “KC03” firmware with a Hex Editor to say “MAD DOG” (etc) in the right places, but it did nothing, and now the drive is hosed – but I can still flash it. What I really need is the real MDMM flash utility and firmware. The company is out of business and the MDMM.COM web site is unresponsive. Does anyone have what I need???

(…and your signature?)

Cheerio - Keith

[QUOTE=n0ty;2291904]Hi,

Yes, I’m sure. The drive model is “MAD DOG TF-DVDRW TSH652D”,[/quote]Okay then. Manually editing a firmware file is not a good idea, since there are a couple of checksums which don’t fit after such a “hack attempt”. Let’s hope you haven’t permanently damaged your drive with that.

Does anyone have what I need???

(…and your signature?)
It has anything you need. Start with the firmware chapter of the Samsung Mini-FAQ :slight_smile:

Michael

Well, I couldn’t wait for someone to come up with the Mad Dog utilities… I found the latest TSST version of the firmware on the web. It took some trial and error to figure out how to hack it without blitzing the drive, but I figured it out.

The original Samsung version of the firmware I used is “200707101658479301_TS-H652D_KC03.bin”.

I made a copy as “TS-H652D_KC03_Hacked.bin”, and used used a hex editor on the “TSSTcorp” string at the very end of the file.

I used “Nero InfoTool” to determine the exact device string the drive reported, writing down exactly.

I changed the strings to the following:

[ul]
[li]The ID string “TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H652D” became “MAD DOG TF-DVDRW TS-H652D”.
[/li][li]The Version string “KC03” became “MD00”.
[/li][li]The OEM code string “KC” below it became “MD”.
[/li][/ul]

I then ran the Samsung “sfdnwin.exe” flash utility and loaded the new firmware file. It flashed and automatically re-booted the system. Everything was great after that. The drive doesn’t have the infamous “Lead-In” writing problem any more, can read any other disk, and reads and writes a little faster!

Reporting from the Midwest… :wink:

Keith
Systems Analyst/Programmer

Hehe :slight_smile:

using Samsung’s official flash tool sfdnwin (or tsdnwin) with the -NOCHECK command line parameter would have been the faster (and safer) method :smiley:

Michael

Hi,
I’m just starting to rip my cd collection and I’ve got the same drive and firmware as you had. I’m not a computer guru so I can’t hack the firmware like you did. Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the already hacked firmware? And a few words of how to install it would be appreciated too.

I’ll send you a PM just in case you don’t check this site very often–but it is the same request.

gsawdy@providence.edu

TIA, George

[RIGHT][QUOTE=n0ty;2292287]Well, I couldn’t wait for someone to come up with the Mad Dog utilities… I found the latest TSST version of the firmware on the web. It took some trial and error to figure out how to hack it without blitzing the drive, but I figured it out.[/RIGHT]

The original Samsung version of the firmware I used is “200707101658479301_TS-H652D_KC03.bin”.

I made a copy as “TS-H652D_KC03_Hacked.bin”, and used used a hex editor on the “TSSTcorp” string at the very end of the file.

I used “Nero InfoTool” to determine the exact device string the drive reported, writing down exactly.

I changed the strings to the following:

[ul]
[li]The ID string “TSSTcorpCD/DVDW TS-H652D” became “MAD DOG TF-DVDRW TS-H652D”.[/li][li]The Version string “KC03” became “MD00”.[/li][li]The OEM code string “KC” below it became “MD”.[/li][/ul]

I then ran the Samsung “sfdnwin.exe” flash utility and loaded the new firmware file. It flashed and automatically re-booted the system. Everything was great after that. The drive doesn’t have the infamous “Lead-In” writing problem any more, can read any other disk, and reads and writes a little faster!

Reporting from the Midwest… :wink:

Keith
Systems Analyst/Programmer[/QUOTE]

This is just a follow up in case anyone finds/needs this thread.
I followed mciahel’s instructions re updating Samsung firmware. It didnt work on a current Thinkpad running Vista Bus. I am a true novice at ths stuff and so the learning curve had a few drop offs. I probably should have closed everythng down and rebooted–trying from scratch. I didn’t.
Instead, I connected the Mad Dog to an old PIII running XPpro, downloaded the files and BINGOand it flashed the first time using the -NOCHECK option.

George

Hi,

one thing comes into my mind: Samsung has replaced sfdnwin by tsdnwin as flash tool. Perhaps Vista compatibility was one reason for that switch. And of course, tsdnwin supports the -nocheck parameter also :slight_smile:

Michael

Hi Michael, I’ll bet you’ve hit on it. With the Vista machine I was trying to use sfdnwin and on the old XP I used tsdnwin both with -NOCHECK. The problem on the Vista machine was it never gave me a chance to switch to the USB Mad Dog–just immediately said the software was not for my machine and it was seeing the internal DVD.

George

I adjusted the FAQ accordingly.

Thanks for your input :bow:

Michael