Anyone have a boot disk i can use

anyone have a boot disk i can use so tht it doesnt load cd drivers so that i can update my lite-on

If you are using a Win 98 boot disk (for instance you are running Win XP but want to boot to DOS), just edit the config.sys and the autoexec.bat to remove the load of the drivers you don’t want loaded.

Bootable disks created with Win98 and WinMe should bring up a start menu, which lets you choose whether it should load the CDROM drivers or not.

Would I be correct in assuming then, that if I use my Win98 Start up disk on my NTFS formatted WinXP system and chose the option to load without CD Rom Support then from there I could use MTKFLASH with no problems???

Anyone upgraded with MTKFLASH using this method and knows for sure that it works.???

Thanks!:slight_smile:

Just boot your PC using a Win98/ME boot disk (go to www.bootdisk.com if you don’t have one), select option number two (start your computer without CD ROM support) and wait for the command prompt. You’ll probably have to put MKTFLASH and your firmware ROM file on another floppy as they won’t fit on a 98/ME boot disk. Just switch the floppy and run MKTFLASH…I did this a few days ago and I use XP. I had no problems at all! Just make sure you backup your original firmware.

Originally posted by juji9
anyone have a boot disk i can use so tht it doesnt load cd drivers so that i can update my lite-on

Check your PM’s! :wink:

Or do a BootCD

http://liteon.notrix.net

/Dyzan

here are a nice selection of bootdisks

regards.
jt

http://www.drd.dyndns.org/index2.html

I would recommend the easy way, right-click your floppy, select format and tick Create a MS-DOS boot disk.
Now what I got was a disk with Mode.com, Keyb.com and 4 sys files for keyboard and 4 sys files for display.
These 10 files take up 347KB, and thus I had plenty of room and just threw the BIN and MTKFlash in too.

Rebooted and flashed, went perfect.

Why do you peple do it so hard for yourself? :slight_smile:
Or does 98/ME create weird bootdisk’s or what?
I’m on XP so I have repressed all memories of 98… :slight_smile:

You’re absolutely right. It’s very easy to make a bootdisc in Windows XP:bigsmile:

Originally posted by Airhead
[B]I would recommend the easy way, right-click your floppy, select format and tick Create a MS-DOS boot disk.
Now what I got was a disk with Mode.com, Keyb.com and 4 sys files for keyboard and 4 sys files for display.
These 10 files take up 347KB, and thus I had plenty of room and just threw the BIN and MTKFlash in too.

Rebooted and flashed, went perfect.

Why do you peple do it so hard for yourself? :slight_smile:
Or does 98/ME create weird bootdisk’s or what?
I’m on XP so I have repressed all memories of 98… :slight_smile: [/B]

Thanks! for the advice Airhead

I’m not one to make things difficult on purpose, I would just like to be maticulous w.r.t. detail when I go to flash my drive to prevent as far as possible any mistakes that can occur due to a faulty procedure on my part.

I made my Boot Disk in Win XP and the files present are:

DISPLAY.SYS

MODE.COM
EGA3.CPI
KEYBRD3.SYS
EGA.CPI
KEYBOARD.SYS
EGA2.CPI
KEYBRD2.SYS
KEYBRD4.SYS

Am I correct in assuming that if I use this Boot disk that “NO” CD ROM drivers will load up. I only ask since I don’t get the same choice as in the boot screen when using the Win98 start up disk???

If indeed NO CD Rom drivers load up when using the WinXP start up disk then according to the properties when I right click the floppy drive its only using 555 KB with 868 KB free which leaves plenty of room for BIN and MTKFlash as Airhead suggests…Great! Funny thing is that when I highlight the files on the disk its only taking up 357 KB like yours Airhead. I wonder what the discrepancy in disk space used is???

Thanks! for everyones patients.:slight_smile:

It’ll load you into the dos-prompt, with only your keyboard layout being loaded… Dunno if it uses the display-drivers… It worked fine for me, so I’m sure it will for you too :slight_smile:

Thanks! Airhead :slight_smile:

You have completely alayed all my fears of Flashing my 40125W WS05 Litey.

Right now I’m satisfied to burn at 40X but when I get a chance I’ll definately give MTKFlash a try. I was considering giving the other method of flashing using the editing of the Win Loaders a go but couldn’t figure out how to edit using Hex workshop 3.1 cause all I see is a bunch of jargon there.

At least the sticky here has a good tutorial for using MTKFLASH.

BTW You guys! run a real nice forum here.

All your hard work is much appreciated.