Anyone Had This with Liteon Combo

Few months ago purchsed a Liteon Combo drive model SOHC-5232K.
A couple of days ago I have seen some problems. The drive fail to record at x32 speed but will record at x16 and x40 speeds! I have used latest versions CloneCD and Nero and what happens is the buffers fill up and nothing? Normally after this happens I have to reset my system to regain control of the Drive as it locks up.

I have tried various media all of which worked fine some days ago at x32 and I have not installed any new programs or anything. Any one had this problem or can anyone offer any advice. The Combo drive is only a few months old. Should I RMA the Drive…

Thanks in advance for any advice

Forgot to mention I have the latest firmware installed in the Combo

Make a mistake the drive will only write at x16 NOT x24> THe drive uses CLV at writting speeds up x32 and CAV at x40 x48 and x52. All CAV writting speeds work fine! Again any help would be greatful…

Thanks

I have the same drive, and same firmware, I have had mine for about a month, build date is feb 04. I use TDK 48x media (Ritek) and it seems fine, using nero 6.3.1.10 for the burning.

It does do one strange thing though after I do a burn and go to do another it drops the burn speed down one level, doesn’t seem to matter what speed I pick for the 1st burn the 2nd burn nero always selects the speed 1 below what i used the time before, as I said before it works fine though. I do most of my burns at 24x unless it is music then it is 12x, I have tested burning data at most speeds up to and including 52x and had no problems so far.

I just remembered it does get a little picky with cd-rw discs I have a couple that I use for testing all the time and this drive has decided that it won’t burn to 1 of them but my LDW-411S burns to it without a problem?

I have a SOHC-5232K too, and yesterday i experienced something strange. I tried to burn a CD at 16X in Nero. The light on the drive was orange for a few seconds, but then it switched to green and i got a error message in Nero. I tried to burn at 16X again, and excactly the same thing happened. At last i tried to burn at 24X, and for some reason that worked. I wonder why it wouldn’t write my discs at 16X. All three blanks were of the same type (BenQ/Acer).

With my 52327s drive, sometimes the faster burn speeds disappear with certain brands of media, and only return if I close Nero and reopen. Sounds similar.

I can’t burn >16x when its on my ide controller card, but then again, that’s my own fault… Although it works good for dvd reading, which is mainly what I use it for.

how about trying the tool in this thread and seeing what it says?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=93914

if you are half way thru a spindle it might be that someone in taiwan mixed up some stock while packaging it…
i had a spindle of valuedisc or khypermedia that in the middle went from 700 meg media to 650 meg.

here is what dvdinfopro has to say about a valuedisc i have sitting on my desk right now:

Media Information                            

Format Capacity Not Formatted
Free Blocks 736960512
Free Capacity 702.82MB(736.96MB)
Media Type CD-R
ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m26s66f
ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s71f
Manufacturer Name CMC Magnetics Corporation
HD-BURN Certified YES
Available Write Descriptor CAV 40.0x 6000KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 32.0x 4800KBps
Available Write Descriptor CAV 24.0x 3600KBps