Anyone had luck with Dune Extended Ed. '06?

vbimport

1st time I encounter a problem using AnyDVD.
I’m using AnyDVD 5.9.5.9 + DVD Shrink - no luck.
Downloaded CloneDVD2 yesterday and tried it with AnyDVD, again no luck.

Thanks,

Update anydvd to 5.9.6.1

Then see if the problem exist.

also be more specific than “no luck”

what happens?

error messages? post exact error text.

Sorry for the lack of useful info. As suggested, I downloaded + installed 5.9.6.1

The following DVD Shrink error message appeared @ 52% encoding:

DVD Shrink encountered an error
Failed to read file “E:”

Incorrect function

AnyDVD Information:

Summary for drive E: (AnyDVD 5.9.6.1)
Drive (Hardware) Region: 1

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2066640 sectors (4036 MBytes)
Total size: 4025539 sectors (7862 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DUNE
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is locked to region(s): 1!

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Found & removed invalid VOBUs!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I am attempting a backup with DVD Decrypter… and will report findings.

See attached jpg of DVD Decrypter error message.

Below, is the DVD Decrypter log file:
I 22:27:13 DVD Decrypter Version 3.5.4.0 started!
I 22:27:13 Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition (5.1, Build 2600 : Service Pack 2)
W 22:27:13 Drive D:\ (FAT32) does not support single files > 4 GB
I 22:27:13 Initialising SPTI…
I 22:27:13 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices…
I 22:27:13 Found 1 CD-ROM and 1 DVD±RW!
W 22:27:15 Possible Structure Protection Found!
W 22:27:15 1 area has been marked as ‘suspect’.
W 22:27:15 Dummy sectors will be inserted where necessary.
I 22:27:16 Operation Started!
I 22:27:16 Source Device: [0:0:0] HP DVD Writer 640b E152 (E:) (ATA)
I 22:27:16 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 22:27:16 Source Media Region Code: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
I 22:27:16 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: None
I 22:27:16 Source Media Implementation Identifier: Daikin U.S. Comtec Lab
I 22:27:17 Destination Folder: C:\DUNE\VIDEO_TS
I 22:27:17 File Splitting: By File
I 22:27:17 Remove Structure Protection: Yes
I 22:27:17 Bad Sector Removal Method: Normal
I 22:27:17 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 22:27:17 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 22:27:17 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 22:27:17 Stream Processing: No
I 22:27:27 Copying VIDEO_TS.IFO… (LBA: 307 - 318) - KEY: N/A
I 22:27:27 Copying VIDEO_TS.VOB… (LBA: 319 - 63466) - KEY: N/A
I 22:28:03 Copying VIDEO_TS.BUP… (LBA: 63467 - 63478) - KEY: N/A
I 22:28:03 Copying VTS_01_0.IFO… (LBA: 63479 - 63525) - KEY: N/A
I 22:28:03 Copying VTS_01_0.VOB… (LBA: 63526 - 102188) - KEY: N/A
I 22:28:24 Copying VTS_01_1.VOB… (LBA: 102189 - 626435) - KEY: N/A
I 22:32:16 Copying VTS_01_2.VOB… (LBA: 626436 - 1150573) - KEY: N/A
I 22:35:14 Copying VTS_01_3.VOB… (LBA: 1150574 - 1674733) - KEY: N/A
I 22:37:44 Copying VTS_01_4.VOB… (LBA: 1674734 - 2199000) - KEY: N/A
E 22:50:49 Failed to read Sector 2066752 - ID CRC or ECC Error
E 22:50:53 Failed to copy VTS_01_4.VOB!

try to use anydvd’s ripper to hdd and then use shrink.

Hi Hypercube,

I had the same problem backing up my copy of Brokeback Mountain, AnyDVD 5.9.6.1 seemed to work fine, but DVD Shrink gave me the same message you got with Dune, exactly the same as I recall but I didn’t save it so it may have been slightly different. Anyway after fooling around with other programs much as you are doing it occured to me to pop my original disk in my DVD player. It pixelated and froze several times. So I took it back and got a new copy, and had no problem backing it up. Have you played your original yet? Maybe you have a bad disk.

I’m a newbie too, so I may well be on the wrong track, but your problem sounds so much like the one I had I thought I’d mention it.

that’s a great suggestion. this is always a possibility. if it doesn’t play, it certainly won’t rip!

also, please make sure the disc is not scratched.

if the anydvd ripper fails, I would exchange it for another copy. sounds like s defective disc to me.

I have to [U]admit[/U] that I haven’t played the DVD yet! I did try the suggestion of ripping it with AnyDVD and that worked. However, DVD Shrink gave me an error of a bad VOB file when I attempted to compress it on my HDD. The disk does not look scratched or pocked. I’ll check it out and see how it plays…

Thanks for all of the great advice.

Hey you know what Hypercube just use AnyDVD with CloneDVD that will work just fine plus you will be able to go from DVD+9 to DVD+5. Don’t know about the shrink but I would say toss that piece of software to the trash…slysoft makes both those programs and running the process with programs that work together is better then trying to mix and match the process…

Please don’t try to promote your own agenda in this case promote Slysoft products at the expense of other decent people product who has made them available to the public for free for years while Slysoft sells the same products with same or less function for $100. We all have to be grateful to those people who have designed product like “DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink” and made them available and free of charge to all of us for all these years.

I agree - each of the various programs have pluses and minuses and I prefer to have an arsenal of all of them and select the ones that best meet my needs at the appropriate time.

I cut my teeth using freeware and then got AnyDVD (used in combo with Nero products mostly) as this gave a new dimension. However, occasionaly, I still use the freeware programs as they have enable me to get round the sometimes inexplicable erros that Nero comes up witfh from time to time.

coolcolors has been posting random responses about anydvd and clonedvd2 all night some of which are relevant and some were not.

in this thread, since it’s in the anydvd forum, i don’t think that posting about slysoft products is that out of line.

also, slysoft products do not cost $100. they are actually reasonably priced, and there are coupon codes every other week.

you know I use anydvd and clonedvd2, but my arsenal includes all of the freebies as well. TThe best method of troubleshooting is to work with the person to solve the problem with the programs they already have, but if one already owns anydvd, suggesting clonedvd2 is not that far of a stretch considereng their high compatibility.

for hard to rip/damaged discs I always turn to DVD Decrypter as it’s the best at chugging it’s way through errors. for high compression issues I use shrink because it’s transcoding engine with advanced settings isn’t to be beat.

I guess I’m just trying to make it clear that not everyone that uses/recommends slysoft products has an agenda, and that doesn’t mean that we don’t appreciate all of the freeware products and all of the effort that their developers have put into them.

@TCAS
Didn’t expect that from you :disagree:
if the non-SS progs you mentioned are so great then why can they no longer function on their own :flower:
think you need 3 days off
and this the weekend to do so
have a big cool one on us :smiley:

I begg to differ I don’t have agenda on just using slysoft products. If you have proof I am trying to pass my agenda then please provides the facts to me then. I only say that as from using the program and that dvd shrink from what I read in maximum pc that the author isn’t updating that software anymore. That is why I would stay clear of software that isn’t supported by the author or being updated. I never said for some to go and buy slysoft software so before you put words into someone mouth. You should ask them why they say what they are saying. And also check on maximum pc magazine they even say that author dont support his software anymore.
TCAS maybe you havent read maximum pc magazine lately but if you did you would notice they say DVD shrink isn’t support by the author anymore-that should make you ask yourself is the software up to par to rip or burn. Flaming someone without facts goes to show that someone isnt keeping up to date on software updates so before you do that check your facts on current software revisions or updates.

Shrink has been out of date for some time now and we all knew that old news. I never have a problem with it using anydvd in the background out dated or not. Reasonsnotrules knows when something is brewing up she’s been here a while and is knowlegable. I will believe her before I believe a newbie statment due to I know her as well as alot of others have a great deal of knowlege and has proven they are as smart as they post.

reasonnotrules what the difference when I post day or night have to do with this forum? I read what post interest me and give my experience on it. Sysop what is the rule for someone tracking someone just cause they post? The wording of you how you said posting all night-I think is out of line and character for just my opinion. Updated or revised by author-freeware or sharware or purchased dont matter to my usage one bit but a good advise if its not supported anymore or author-I wouldn’t give it much chance the software will work on newer program encryptions.

the author develops nero recode now and was forced off of Shrink due to legal issues. it’s been this way for a while (over a year) and is not a recent event so maybe “Maximum PC” should work on covering CURRENT developments and not old news.

First I’d like to point out that if you knew what DVD Shrink was for, it never has been and never can BURN. It does not have a native burning engine. You must use an outside program to burn the output files from DVD Shrink.

It’s transcoder is still second to none if you’re willing to put in the time. It’s 100% up to the task of ripping and transcoding. just not decrypting. It’s decrypter is the only thing out of date, and this can be remedied by decrypting BEFORE using DVD Shrink thus making it a very useful program.

TCAS spends a lot of time on the forums and is a very knowledgeable and helpful member here at CDFreaks. He knws exactly what software is current and up to date. Just because Shrink can no longer be developed does NOT render it no longer useful.

Well Dr. Who tell me this if she knew that the program isn’t support why didn’t she or he fail to mention it then? That a simple question now? Knowledge is good if you tell the other new user what constantly updated and what is not supported-that will give the users more information how to proceed. Plus maybe you didnt read what I said but I was talking about DVD shrink…go pick a back issue of maximum pc April 2006 and it will mention DVD shrink is no longer support by auther. I don’t put down freeware or shareware that be noted but any program no longer supported should be used with caution and be sure to read its supporting docs. When I do mean outdated or no longer support its mean author isn’t keeping it up to date or revising later versions. Slysoft does that but I don’t promote their software as I don’t get paid to do so. To me I use these forum for information and give my experience to others. Tell me so how is someone that been here Feb 2006 knowledge-just cause they dont post dont mean they have something to offer to other users. I dont get what you have against newbie there is a reason why they called newbie but to put those people down that does show the rest that you do have agenda.

nobody is putting you down because you’re a newbie. The problem is the information you’re disseminating. and I was even on your side if you read my post about having/not having an agenda with slysoft products…

shrink has not been supported for well over a year, but informal forums like this take up the slack where the developer left off.

its decryption engine is the only thing on it that’s useless. it’s still a VERY valuable tool.

the goal of these forums is to help forum members make the programs they have work. The forum member who originally posted wanted to use dvd shrink and anydvd to solve his problem, and you told him to “toss [a very valuable and useful program] to the trash” and purchase clonedvd2. He probably doesn’t want to purchase something that he doesn’t have to and he doesn’t have to! That’s what TCAS meant by an “agenda” … pitching clonedvd2 when he already has a transcoder that works perfectly fine.

please read full posts before claiming to be a victim. I don’t think I’ve been rude through any of this. my goal in posting is always to provide accurate and helpful information.

I was simply stating that telling a user to toss out dvd shrink just because you don’t use it and don’t think it works well is neither good nor helpful advice considering that the program is still widely in use and works perfectly find in conjunction with anydvd (thanks to the good folks over at slysoft)

Putting down"NO" As for why it wasn’t mention…well because with anydvd it works fine from reading around it seems you have caused some sort of problem with a few users “not me”. I am not degrading a person by status of posts but how long they been here and their posts. When I bought anydvd I spent about 3 weeks reading and from my readings I knew who would help me if I had a problem there are a few new people here with 200 to 400 post and reading theirs I know I can get help from them too. As for picking up old outdated magazines why I ask do I need to. I don’t need help. I get my info on the internet. I do support slysoft products and will promote them too. I don’t get paid I think no one here does to be honest if the products good you just promote the best product out there. Lay down your guard and don’t be attacking me or we will both be banned And then I’ll have a vandetta on you my little friend. I am just like you I read 10X more than I post but if I can help I will to those who really want it. So take a xanax and just calm down. As for you won’t since you don’t get paid that’s your perogative most of us here will and we see nothing but thank you’s. Again not attacking you but you do need to chill. If you ask me something else I will Ignore you and that’s that!!! :cop:

Good post Reasonsnotrules. :bigsmile: