Anyone for Kaby Lake?

Kaby Lake was the reason why I bought now a Skylake for my actual Burn-PC :slight_smile:
Maybe Kaby is not bad but Microsoft decided to stop important Updates for W7 and 8.1 for Kaby. There is someone who amde patches to get it work but with the next Win-Updates Microsoft locks it again and so on

I´m not a W10-Fan, I also use some old Software and this PC works with Win7

Ryzen seems to be fast but not stable enough.

@Sean

I am about top give my old i5 750/P55A-UD4 a good clean, then pack it back in its box and let it Rest in peace.
Lately I am having a lot of blue screens, and most importantly USB3 does not want top work with any USB3 flash drive work perfectly with any USB2 device but good is that?
Time to start using the 5280K as a daily PC :frowning:

Although I didn’t get any blue screens while in use, I got them intermittently while shutting down. However, the USB drop-outs were still a right pain. For example, when a USB HDD dropped out, any file-explorer related window would hang for a minute or two as Windows would continue trying to access the affected volume. GIMP was the worst affected as it would completely hang once any USB drive dropped out, losing what I was working on.

My HP has some unusual model of SSD, probably something OEM specific as I find little from a web search. Even the latest CrystalDiskInfo update has trouble reading its info. This PC has certainly been used more than 2 hours since I got it and certainly did not go through those claimed read/write figures! :astonished:

For a PC that is almost dead silent, I’m surprised how well it keeps the drives cool. My room temperature is 24C. Drive ‘W’ is a Seagate 4TB desktop HDD I added, which was very straight forward - Pull off the case side with its lever, pull out the HDD cage, drop the HDD in, push the cage back in, attach the cables and snap the case cover back in place. I wish my last PC was that simple! Drive ‘G’ is the Seagate external 8TB, which shows just how ineffective its case is for ventilation.

The i7 7700K is rather extreme for my needs, but I figured I’ll future proof it and the HEVC hardware decoding could come in handy later. Hopefully the Windows 7 support does not get too problematic as I do need to run Windows 7 in VirtualBox for editing older publications. I have a lot of old publications at work that don’t open properly in Office 2016 and which would take a lot of time to reformat. So I have Windows 7 with Office 2010 installed in a VirtualBox to let me edit the older publications.

Nice machine Sean. :wink:

Regarding the SSD, at a guess it is most likely a Toshiba OEM.

One way to find out - I pulled it out. :slight_smile:

I thought that with this being my first computer designed for Windows 10 that Fastboot would finally behave. Turns out not the case even with this PC. :disagree:

When I shut down the PC, the monitor goes out falsely giving the impression that the PC is off. When I opened the case to take the photo, the fans were still spinning. In case it was just a one off, I booted back into Windows (which required forcing the power off first) and shut down. Again, it left the PC running even a minute later after the monitor went into standby. I didn’t notice this over the previous days as normally I turn off the UPS overnight. Once I disabled Fastboot and tried shutting down again, the monitor turned off and the fans spun down in the PC. So this is something I’ll need to disable with each Windows build update where it discretely re-enables Fastboot…

It uses 3d nand, so maybe an MX300 for OEM with 3D TLC NAND?
It should be a good drive, for daily use.

I cant find the Asrock SuperCarrier any place for sale at any price. The LGA 2066 and the 7900X are going to be my next build. I however will be using an Asus ROG motherboard for the build. I am investing a lot of cash into this next build as I have sold my older computers, all except the Z170, 6700K.

[quote=“alan1476, post:27, topic:314565”]
I cant find the Asrock SuperCarrier any place for sale at any price.
[/quote]https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asrock-z270-supercarrier-intel-z270-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-69m-as.html

1 Like

The shipping to the USA is more than the board LOL, and thats even if they ship to the USA, imagine what the return process would be like LOLOLOL

From my limited testing so far, Windows 7 (64-bit) appears to work and update fine in VirtualBox. I’m not sure whether Microsoft or VirtualBox tweaked something as previously Windows 7 would block Windows Update even with a spoofed Kaby Lake CPU.

I was surprised how straight forward it was to use my existing image - Install VirtualBox, copy the VirtualBox VM folder along with the disk images from the old PC and launch the .vbox file. Then enable Virtualisation in the BIOS setup (disabled by default on this PC), set the Virtual PC OS type (it defaulted to Windows 7 32-bit) and it’s ready to boot. :sunglasses:

The only hardware change Windows 7 reported was the CPU, which I captured a screenshot:

I checked for updates and let it install the June '17 rollup along with various other updates. When it rebooted, I checked again for updates and so it didn’t present the earlier Windows update lockout with Kaby lake CPUs:

If it does later present an issue, I’ll mention.

1 Like

Awesome build Sean, I still do not understand why you are so adamantly opposed to Windows 10 Pro but I guess you have your reasons. OS aside, that build is pretty nice.

Those screenshots are from VirtualBox (Virtual PC software running Windows 7), not my main Windows installation. I use it with an older version of Office for editing older publications that do not open properly with Publisher 2016.

This is the system information screenshot from the main OS, which is Windows 10 Pro:

I see, I would have thought that Windows 10 Pro would have worked with all of those applications, but since I do not use them, I have learned something from your post. Thanks Sean

What do you want to do with it? If core/thread count are more important, go with the AMD Ryzen 5 or Ryzen 7. If you are building a gaming rig, go Intel i5 or i7 as these have faster single and quad-core performance. The Intel i7-7700k is around the same price as the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X by the way.