Anyone else having overburning problems in 6.0.0.23?

I know this was an issue a few versions back, but I have the latest installed and can’t seem to do any overburning. Does anyone know if I still need to install the patch that was released a while back? (I never installed it – I didn’t need to do any overburning until now!)

I need to burn VCD, SVCD, movies on CDRs that are between 715mb, and 785mb big = can those be overburned on a 700mb TDK disk using Nero? This is a top-of-the-line-disk that burns at 52x.

I tried several times, but couldn’t. I sopposely installed the Nero Overburning patch, but I don’t see any sign of it’s presence inside Nero = where is it at? To install it, I unzipped it, then copied it inside the program folder = was that right?

OK, if I can’t overburn the disk with Nero, is there any other program I can use? Someone mentioned VCDEasy. Have any of you tried that program?

I need to make a closure on this problem = can you HELP

Thank You = bighunk

my 6.0023 overburns just fine…
But your not going to get 785meg on a 700 meg disk…there is not that much room on the overburn area of the disk…

and if your trying to burn .avi files then you run into a whole different issue… thats where the “not enough disk space” bug comes into play… the patch should fix that.

And don’t expect to get too much over 80 minutes on a 80 minute disk… If you want to burn more, then get 99 min disks…

Here are the instructions for burning with 99 min disks:

Set Nero to overburn 90 or 99 min… how ever big your media will hold… .ignore that Nero only sees 703 meg! To overburn:

set : “ISO Level 1” is ticked "which means Max of 11 = 8 + 3 chars (iso level 1)and “Mode 2 / XA” is ticked too and also “ISO 9660” and “Joliet” and you can also tick (if you want) “Allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories” and “Allow more than 255 characters in path”

Burn : “Write” and “Finalize CD” are ticked and write speed is up to you and “write method” should be set on “Disc-At-Once”

Note… Mode 1 has an 80 min limit!.. so don’t use it!.. use Mode 2/xa

I was trying to overburn an audio compilation. The final time was just over 81 minutes. In the past, I’ve been able to easily overburn up to 83 minutes on TY disks – no go this time around, tried several disks too.

Originally posted by kev99sl

I was trying to overburn an audio compilation. The final time was just over 81 minutes
– no go this time around, tried several disks too.
That is a good reason why you should start using excellent Feurio,
where, btw, you could test the disc capacity before burning it for certain.

I have just about decided to split the movies and burn them on two disk.

ai have never seen a disk that has more then 700mb capacity. If I go into that, I would imagine that I am going to pay a premium price for it, and never on sale huh?

Does anyone know the name of a good movie splitter. The one I tried wouldn’t split Mpeg files.

Thanks for youe efforts = bighunk

Originally posted by bighunk

Does anyone know the name of a good movie splitter. The one I tried wouldn’t split Mpeg files.

Editing/Cut/Join

what are you trying to do… only split mpeg files like on a dvd movie?

If you are trying to split your dvd movie into 2 pieces so you can maintain perfect quality because it won’t fit on one disk and still be perfect… then a free one is “DVDToolbox v0.13.7” it is basically the same as dvd fab if you want to buy it! and pay good money…dvd fab has a few more options…but if thats all you need… it works great…

http://www.dvdr-digest.com/software/dvdtoolbox.html - go to one of the mirrors listed here, as the official page is down…

If you are splitting avi files… then virtual dub is nice… http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Thank You for your interest,

I will be converting movies to VCD from AVI, mpeg, and Divx mostly. Should I split before or after I convert them?

There are a few movies that I must join two or three parts together.

So I need both video splitter, and joiner, and a converter. Anymore suggestions about what programs to use = the more simple, the better.

If I could find a program to do everything but burn, I will be satisfied. I have Nero 6, and I could convert with that.

I won’t be working with DVD movies for now, but I will in a few weeks.

Thank You

Bighunk

When burning dvd… I rip it first with #1 DVD Decrypter v3.160
then I look at it with #2 CloneDVD v1.3.11.2… when looking with that, I can see if its going to be at 100% or if too much less, then I opt to split the files I’ve already created when I ripped it … I use #3 DVDToolbox v0.13.7 to split it into two pieces…then I will go back to clone dvd “that at this point I haven’t actually used yet”… only viewed and I then burn it… I will obviously take 2 burns since we are talking about putting it on 2 cd’s. Clone dvd automatically sizes you r files to fit onto a 4.7 gig disk… if it has to compress it… so be it… it will… if not it will copy at 100% quality…it mostly depends on what options you think you can’t live without.

Now If I am doing divx… I still have to rip the dvd files off the dvd… I again can use dvd decrypter…but I usually use smartripper… mostly because l learned to use that before dvd decryptor… but I was forced to go to something a bit more sophistocated when burning dvds so I could pick and choose menus, sounds etc… but for ripping divx… there is no need for all those files anyway… so smartripper works just fine…
then I use xmpeg to convert them to divx , then vitual dub to split them if needed “afterwards” when they are already .avi files in divx format. Divx is a bit more complicated to play with than dvd burning… you have to install the divx codec and the mp3 codec… there are may options and different routes you can take that I’m sure many folks will have tons of comments and better preferences they prefer… but the bottom line is that after I have burn’t about 250 divx movies… I have started over and will not go back to divx because dvd is too cheap to ignore anymore… I can make a dvd movie at 30% original quality and it will still look better than a 2 hour divx on a 700mb disk… .I have the KISS 500 player and all that, but I still prefer the quality of dvd…
Divx is good, but anybody who says they can make dvd quality on a 700 mb disk with a 2 hour movie… has never burn’t dvd yet… I used to think mine were awesome until I started copying dvd. I have a 65 inch widescreen tv and dvd looks the best… period.
NOw if you want to put several Divx movies on a dvd disk, you could do that too, but why bother to save a few cents in disks?. besides, then youll have to remember what movies are on what disk… I just like my movies on one disk or I make my dvd onto 2 disk if its over 2 hours and lots of high action… if the movie moves slowly and is a drama… I can drop to around 65% quality and never notice the degredation.

The only reason I can see for playing with Divx is the ability to send them over the net abit easier,and its cheaper… but you will spend more time doing divx than with dvd… and my time is worth more. I think Divx quality is superior to dvd, only if you can give it more than 700 meg space to be played on… more like twice that starts looking like true dvd… even then its debatable.
I also like dvd’s because I can share them with freinds… the kiss player is the only one at present in the states that will even play divx 5.02 with a few rare exceptions of some older outdated units that are discontinued.

Do what you will… I’ve said my 2 cents… divx is fun to play with for sure… and its a cool challenge to master the art, but I feel I’ve moved on to better quality… I burn to cheap compusa dvd disk… that cost 7.99 for 10 with the jewel cases… I can burn them at 2X… even though my burner supports 4X… I’m not in that big a rush… and If I was… I would just buy the tdk disk at costco… about 30.00 for 4x R+ or the same for 2x R-

i have nero 60019 and i am unable to overburn. In the preferences it is enabled for up to 86minutes. And i am only trying to overburn 1mb:P,

burner: liteon 52x32x52 (QSOB firmware, which is the latest)

At the moment i have nero 551020 installed for overburning tasks.

Is overburning fixed in a later version?, cause i have a download limit sigh, so i would like to know before updating.

if you monkey with the setting you can disable overburn… mode one is limited to 80 minutes…
Here are my overburn instructions… that will allow you to even go up to 99 minutes provided you have the 99 minute disks!

Overburning works just fine if you follow these instructions…

Set Nero to overburn 90 or 99 min… how ever big your media will hold… .ignore that Nero only sees 703 meg!

set : “ISO Level 1” is ticked "which means Max of 11 = 8 + 3 chars (iso level 1)and “Mode 2 / XA” is ticked too and also “ISO 9660” and “Joliet” and you can also tick (if you want) “Allow pathdepth of more than 8 directories” and “Allow more than 255 characters in path”

Burn : “Write” and “Finalize CD” are ticked and write speed is up to you and “write method” should be set on “Disc-At-Once”

Note… Mode 1 has an 80 min limit!.. My Car kenwood Mp3 player will play 99 min audio .cdr’s just fine…even when converted from Mp3’s by nero…
But Note again!.. nero sets the settings when you burn audio and doesn’t even give you a choice to burn “Mode 2 / XA” which is needed to burn data.
This is why my player plays audio just fine but will not play correctly the data mp3’s, because my player wants mode 1., and mode 1 limits to 80 minutes… so my problem is that I can’t run data which is what mp3’s are, over 80 minutes because my car player needs mode 1… sorry to be redundant…

I am learning a lot today = thanks nighthawk, and windstrings.

How long does it take to burn a DVD disk, at 4 speed?

I think I am going to wait till after the first of the year to buy a DVD recorder, since there are going to be some significant changes in them = higher speed, lower prices.

I believe DVD double capacity disk will help lower prices of the DVD disk we have today = and the recorders. But if a good deal comes along = who knows, I may buy. It seems like just yesterday that I bought all of my CDR stuff.

I agree = DVD is beautiful, and I am looking forward to it.

I am not a collector, I watch a movie and move on = trading for another, (but I haven’t started yet LOL).

Thanks again

Bluefly

you can do that alright… just keep in mind the fast burners are only good if you can afford the disk that will burn that fast!

The other benfit is that you will take longer to get outdated…but you will pay to get cutting edge… no big deal if you can afford it…

when the faster ones come out… it will make the 4x and the like even cheaper… but at 4x you can burn in about 15 minutes… not counting your time to rip etc…

When I burn mp3’s at 4x… each 320kbs song burns in one to two seconds… pretty stinkin fast!

As the time get’s closer to the double size DVD recorder getting on the market, the present recorders will get cheaper and faster = that’s when I will buy the present day type recorder.

I have only been having my present CDR recorder for a few months now.

bighunk

im not sure where divx will go… I hated to put all that work into something that will outdate with better… so I decided to switch to dvd… the money for disks are not bad since I don’t do a ton of them all the time… YOu can findthem on sale and if you aren’t in a rush to burn them… you can pickthem up for less than 70 cents a piece… thats worth my time… its not worth spending hours doing this stuff to save 65 cents a movie, and ending up with substantially less quality and options.

DVD is in baby!!!

double density will be nice… but its unnecessary… I don’t mind burning a really long movie to 2 disk to keep 100% quality… it gives me a nice pee break!!!

I think it’s Philips that is making a DVD /Divx compatable house player.

Probably other companies will follow.

bighunk

Well if you really want one now… you can get the Kiss player…I have the DP-500 and I love it… it plays divx wonderful… on my 65 inch screen no doubt… it has scart connections for primo video and progressive scanning…

and obviously it plays dvd awesome too…

http://www.mtsbs.com/store.asp

YOu can update the firmware… they keep you current… just burn the .iso to a disk… “can be RW” and pop it in!

I still like dvd as my preference… but the 500 model is 100.00 more than the 450 and it will connect to your computer via lan!.. yep…you can play divx right off your hardrive and stream through the lan!.. or off your computer dvd player if you had a mind to… but that would be dumb since it has its on toshiba 1704 player…

You can make it region free if you need to also…

Originally posted by windstrings
[B]if you monkey with the setting you can disable overburn… mode one is limited to 80 minutes…
Here are my overburn instructions… that will allow you to even go up to 99 minutes provided you have the 99 minute disks!

Overburning works just fine if you follow these instructions…

Set Nero to overburn 90 or 99 min… how ever big your media will hold… .ignore that Nero only sees 703 meg!

Note… Mode 1 has an 80 min limit!.. My Car kenwood Mp3 player will play 99 min audio .cdr’s just fine…even when converted from Mp3’s by nero…
But Note again!.. nero sets the settings when you burn audio and doesn’t even give you a choice to burn “Mode 2 / XA” which is needed to burn data.
This is why my player plays audio just fine but will not play correctly the data mp3’s, because my player wants mode 1., and mode 1 limits to 80 minutes… so my problem is that I can’t run data which is what mp3’s are, over 80 minutes because my car player needs mode 1… sorry to be redundant… [/B]

Well in nero 551020 i overburn with iso level 2, mode 1. From memory selecting mode2/xa causes the filenames to change to capital letters which i hate. So i think it is a bug in nero6, as the same settings work in nero5. The way you suggested might be a workaround but it doesn’t solve the problem.