Plane spotters are no spies

Although this is not CD Freaks related, I would like to ask your attention for the following.

A very close friend of mine, with whom I have a very good friendship for over 22 years, has been arrested in Greece under the suspicion of espionage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick Dirksen is a plane spotter, he travels around the globe with fellow spotters to track down certain military aircrafts, as some collect stamps, CDs or baseball cards.

Along with a group of 12 Britons and a fellow Dutchman he was invited to attend an airshow in Kalamata, near Athens in Greece. Greek intelligence felt they were suspicious and were taking pictures they were not supposed to take and had the whole group arrested.

The Greek judge has taken a very long time to investigate the case of the plane spotters, who are still not charged with any offence. The Greek judge has established that the pictures taken did not contain any incriminating evidence, but still did not rule in this case. The lower Greek judge felt uncertain and referred the case to a higher court.

ADVERTISEMENT

The group is being held in a prison cell under poor conditions. A prison cell meant for 3 persons is shared with four and they have to sleep on 1 inch mattrasses. My friend has lost quite some weight and is now suffering from back pains.

Despite interventions of high politicians (Prime Minister Blair, EU Chairman Fontaine, Dutch and English Ministers of Foreign Affairs) nothing is accomplished to speed up the trial.

In support of my friend and his fellow plane spotters I have made a website where people can show support and can stay updated on the latest news.

ADVERTISEMENT

I would like to ask all of you to bring this to everybody's attention or even leave a message on the website, hoping this terrible incident will soon be over.

I would like to thank you all in advance for your support and hope you don't blame me for using CD Freaks for this, also on behalf of the plane spotters and their family!

http://www.wijsbek.com/index-uk.html

or for the Dutch version:

http://www.wijsbek.com

Thanks again!

Maikel

(aka Da_Taxman)

Source: Wijsbek.com

No posts to display