Anyone else getting aggravated by Firefox?

vbimport

The constant updates from Mozilla are beginning to get on my nerves. The big interface change from V3 to V4 was when things started going downhill in a hurry. It takes me almost 30 minutes to customize the browser to fit my tastes now. No, I don’t want tabs on top, no I don’t want all the controls hidden in a box on top, no I don’t want thumbnails of recent pages showing up in a new tab, yes I do want a Mail button which you don’t approve of…grrr.

I dislike the default theme, so I spent an hour or two hunting through the available themes to find one more to my taste. This was months ago, and I’ve been happy with it. Until last night’s 14.1 update, which broke my theme compatibility and the theme won’t be updated to match. GRRR.

Another hour looking through themes…and have one installed now that is ok, but not as good as the previous one.

Are they just trying to push everyone to Chrome?

I hear you Kerry

I myself is dreading the update to 14 knowing I will have to start over again on the tweaking.

I don’t tweak Firefox that much, but I do dislike the rapid release of MAJOR versions, which always has the potential to break add-on compatibility.

Last night I had to decline the 14.0.1 update because it didn’t support the PlainOldFavorites add-on.

I rarely use FF . I checked the “About” & it says version 11.0 .

The folks at Mozilla know they shot themselves in the foot with rapid major release updates. Chrome managed to pull it off due to the way it’s set up, and now Mozilla sees the difference in quality compared to their Firefox release schedule. The question is will they slow down/revert to older ways.

Version 11 was good and 12 was not to bad, version 13 I had to start tweaking

I hear you Kerry - amongst other things, I’m fed up with getting add-ons and my own tweaks messed up every ten seconds as a result.

I use Chrome here on my main PC (FF is on my laptops), and the experience couldn’t be more different.

I haven’t had much problems, but I use the 64-bit variant called Waterfox. I just updated from v10 to 13 so I guess I"ll see if there are any annoying changes.

Maybe you could look at setting up firefox sync Kerry56, It keeps pretty much everything

Well, I probably misled you on the setup time. I only meant that for the first time I install the browser, which I did not too long ago when I got an SSD. Updating to new versions usually goes ok, and doesn’t destroy my tweaks except those times when the updates break compatibility with one or more of my add-ons. Though that happens too often anymore.

I’m not really all that fond of Chrome, as it has many of the features I don’t like that they are adding to Firefox, but I’ve been able to push back with a lot of customization. I’m afraid they will eventually push the browser in directions I just can’t work with.

I’m not really all that fond of Chrome, as it has many of the features I don’t like that they are adding to Firefox, but I’ve been able to push back with a lot of customization. I’m afraid they will eventually push the browser in directions I just can’t work with.

I hear you Kerry56

I can’t handle Chrome and I do see FF heading that way more and more, so disappointing.

My main browser is IE9 but I also use Firefox purely as an extra so I’ve no customisations for Firefox installed.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I have IE8 because there are 2 sites I go to that will not work right with FF, and IE9 will not work either.

Microsoft is getting to far ahead of themselves, there are a lot of companies that can not change there software as fast as others . Simply can not afford to do updates as fast as the more lucrative companies.

I use IE9 the most & have only had a few sites with problems & those sites have now caught up . I do have Opera & FF installed but they are used mostly as backup browsers.
The FF version I have is out of date but functions well for the few times I use it . If it ever starts failing I will see about updating it.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2644276]Last night I had to decline the 14.0.1 update because it didn’t support the PlainOldFavorites add-on.[/QUOTE] A few minutes ago Firefox updated itself to 14.0.1 no longer complaining about the PlainOldFavorites add-on. I thougt I’d let Firefox update automatically on my new machine, but I don’t like this loss of control, so I’ve just set it back to manual updates.

I’ve had too many updates go wrong over the years and breaking things, so I’m not comfortable with most of the forced/automatic updates in various programs and operating systems.

aggravated with most software they seem to have to update all the time because someone has figured out how get into my computer through the program.

[QUOTE=samlar;2644640]aggravated with most software they seem to have to update all the time because [B]someone has figured out how get into my computer through the program.[/B][/QUOTE]

If the the above in bold is true sounds like you need to do some serious house cleaning.

Well they do not really get into my computer since I have zonalarm and clean it all the time but the updates always keep saying they can

Meh, it’s the only browser with such an active community that it does patch a lot. Also means there are lots of annoyances, because of dependencies, but in the long run you as a consumer/user are better off.

I don’t mind it much. I expect little from free products, since i don’t pay for them.

Kerry, I do understand the “fed up with Firefox” because of the constant droning, drum-beating of Updates. Chrome’s on Version 280? 370? Oh wait - ten more seconds passed, so that’s 14 new versions for them.

But it’s that same mentality and I’m glad Firefox ‘blinked’ and realized that was a waterfall they were hearing up ahead.

The constant updates have beaten me down from ever seeking add-on’s and widgets and whatever else some developers wanted to springboard into. That’s the real cost - Chrome’s been dismissive of this because they’re claiming Google Desktop/OS will solve all of these issues for developers. Yeah. Riiight.

But these are all interesting to watch. That’s all I do. We’re traveling with a couple of laptops with FF 4 and 6, by the way. They work just fine, although I’m sure our banks don’t like those now anymore than they ever do. “Works best with IE6…” Great, huh? They don’t make me wonder why folks stuff mattresses with cash instead.

“No one ever hacks Win98 anymore…” Hack it? I spent two days trying to remember how to install it. “Just copy it to C:, and run SETUP.” Huh?!! Is that it?!!