Anyone else been experiencing a slow PC recently? I reckon it may be Windows updates... (XP)

vbimport

Well, it’s a fairly recent install.

PC worked great to start off with but all of the PCs in the house and not just this one are sluggish recently. The System Idle process will be at 90%+ but the PC will be slow to respond and get gradually worse so that in the end I just have to reset.

It’s by no means unusable but it’s hardly the powerhouse for basic multimedia that it should be - with an Athlon 3000+, 1GB of DDR400 RAM on an Asus A7N8X-E mobo, it should be able to handle surfing the net and using a media player (Media Player Classic FFS) without any jarring. It’s getting quite annoying, and as I say - all PCs in the house are suffering the same fate. Has anyone else experienced this in the last few months?

It’s only after I’ve installed Windows updates and certain software that it happens. The software in addition to the updates is Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot and Lavasys Everest Free edition that are common to all the PCs.

So… anyone else?

Nope. XP Pro here, with all updates except SP3, which I haven’t gotten around to yet.

Running the same as usual.

Download ProcessExplorer and fire it up to see what is using the processor cycles. Windows Defender can take up to 50% of your System Idle when it’s doing a scan and there’s no other indications that it is running. That also would fit with an update since there’s usually a new Defender scan-list included.

Do you have scheduled scans set with those other malware apps? Two of them going at once - or at the same time as Defender - could really slow things down.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2057270]
It’s only after I’ve installed Windows updates and certain software that it happens. The software in addition to the updates is[B] Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot and Lavasys Everest [/B]Free edition that are common to all the PCs.
So… anyone else?[/QUOTE]

Everyone say that after SP3 was installed start up of XP is faster.
I did not noticed that, but in your case I think you have too many spy ware progs installed. I know for fact that Zone Alarm and Spybot do not get along too well.
This was discussed on a forums about 8-12 month ago.

Everest isn’t a spy/malware app. It’s more of a diagnostic app, and I have it installed on both my PCs with no ill-effects.

[QUOTE=groovemeister;2057270]Well, it’s a fairly recent install.

PC worked great to start off with but all of the PCs in the house and not just this one are sluggish recently. The System Idle process will be at 90%+ but the PC will be slow to respond and get gradually worse so that in the end I just have to reset.

It’s by no means unusable but it’s hardly the powerhouse for basic multimedia that it should be - with an Athlon 3000+, 1GB of DDR400 RAM on an Asus A7N8X-E mobo, it should be able to handle surfing the net and using a media player (Media Player Classic FFS) without any jarring. It’s getting quite annoying, and as I say - all PCs in the house are suffering the same fate. Has anyone else experienced this in the last few months?

It’s only after I’ve installed Windows updates and certain software that it happens. The software in addition to the updates is Zone Alarm, AVG, Spybot and Lavasys Everest Free edition that are common to all the PCs.

So… anyone else?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have any problems with ZA and spybot and SP3…they are co-existing well on my system…granted it was built in 2001 and still runs fine for a old rig but I am happy with it.

Well, looks like the problem is with Task Manager!

Just now it said I was using 6% CPU when Process Explorer said 80 something%. I will keep an eye on PE and see what happens - and report back. Thanks guys!

Be advised that Process Explorer itself (with certain settings) can use a significant amount of the CPU on a computer.

it could very well be conflict witt your apps, virus, you have four apps the more you have the harder it is once i had zone, spy boot, avg, lava, commodore, untill i format it install only one app, it is your choise.

I have XP3 on 5 machines for a week now and have had no slowdowns.
Actually I think my start up has gotten just a little quicker on all 5 of them.

bean55

The last time I felt my PC was fast was when I had an x386 with 2 megs of memory and used Microsoft Word for DOS. Almost snappy…then graphics came along and slowed everything down…:frowning:

I have 2 laptops updated to SP3. I notice no difference in speed. They are still slow…