Anyone done PC DVD games?

Looks like this media is getting popular (not surprising) :
Metal Gear Solid 2 (protection?)
Yager (Securom 4.85)
Pro Evolution Soccer (Securom 4.85)
Far Cry - ???
Deus Ex Inv. War - ???
Unreal Tournament 2004 - ???

As I havn’t got a dvd burner yet, has anyone had any success with these titles?

What is the best burner for dvd backups ??

Alcohol can’t backup DVD titles protected by SecuROM or those which can’t find into a single layer DVD recordable media (4.7GB).

Some of kamikazee’s posts in the blindwrite forum indicate that the latest version of blindwrite can back-up securom protected dvds with some hardware.

Of course, no burner can currently copy a dual layer dvd without compression techniques (which, if used, would mean there would be no chance of successfully by-passing the guard module of a securom protected dvd) but then, so far as I’m aware, no game has yet been released on a dual layer dvd.

apparently MGS2 is in dvd9 format

How can I tell if a dvd is dual layer (excuse my ignorance), any good utilities that be used in a dvd-rom drive (not burner) ??

Yes, Metal Gear… I only hear about it, but I’m afraid is a DVD9.

Professor, I believe that you will know it by looking the amount of data stored in the DVD. If it is bigger than 4,38 GB, then it is a DVD9.

Originally posted by Dufroise
Yes, Metal Gear… I only hear about it, but I’m afraid is a DVD9.

:Z Well if that’s the case, there’s no hope for that one with existing hardware. :frowning:

Bring on them dual layer recorders!!!

Originally posted by $CyBeRwIz$
Bring on them dual layer recorders!!!

Might not help, what if info the game is seeking data that lay on the other side, you gonna stop or pause the game to flip the DVD over???

LOL

Originally posted by xtacydima
[B]Might not help, what if info the game is seeking data that lay on the other side, you gonna stop or pause the game to flip the DVD over???

LOL [/B]

It’s just like the game saying “Insert CD 2 to continue”. Isn’t it?

that’s right, which should mean that a single layer recorder could do the job :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that there is a difference between double and dual layer dvd’s. Dual layer have only one side.

Don’t you know that a DVD9 IS a simply a dual layer dvd-rom, haven’t you noticed “the slight pause” when the layers change in a film?

This means copying them shouldn’t be too much hasstle or at least it’ll be likely.

People who don’t know what they’re talking about should ask questions not make statements. :bigsmile: