Anyone care to play a game of speculation?

vbimport

This has been floating around in my mind the last couple of days, since DVDShrink’s site was shut down.

Let’s say you are a sales manager at Macrovision. You have a new technology that your company has been developing for some time, let’s call it Ripguard. Unfortunately for you, no one wants it. The movie studios point out that your protection schemes in the past have been less than effective, and you’ve already admitted that this new one won’t be 100% effective either. What to do?

Let’s say you’ve done some research and found the two most popular programs for ripping and converting commercial dvd’s to dvdr are: DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink. Why are they so popular? They work, and they’re free! So as part of your sales pitch to the studios, you tell them—we’ve taken steps to curtail casual copying of your movies. STOPPED development of Decrypter, shut down the DVDShrink site and are now in the process of removing links to Shrink and Decrypter in all countries with DMCA type laws. Combined with our new handy dandy Ripguard, this will reduce casual copying tenfold. (not saying they will mind you, gotta remember this is a sales pitch) Since people won’t have many free tools, the tide will turn, and Ripguard will prevail.

I think it is a plausible, though paranoid interpretation of recent events. If the mirror sites in DMCA land start receiving notifications, I’ll be a little more convinced.

Comments welcome :slight_smile:

Edit—Whoa! The CDFreaks site went down as I tried to submit this post. Now I am getting paranoid! :eek:

your asking us for sales triks ? What ? Are you a seller for Macrovision ore ?

et’s say you’ve done some research and found the two most popular programs for ripping and converting commercial dvd’s to dvdr are: DVDDecrypter and DVDShrink. Why are they so popular? They work, and they’re free! So as part of your sales pitch to the studios, you tell them—we’ve taken steps to curtail casual copying of your movies. STOPPED development of Decrypter, shut down the DVDShrink site and are now in the process of removing links to Shrink and Decrypter in all countries with DMCA type laws. Combined with our new handy dandy Ripguard, this will reduce casual copying tenfold.

I’d advise the board to do a little more research about the interweb people who think security is a challenge that must be broken.

Man, I almost cried when I found out they shut down DVD Decrypter, and now they’ve stopped Shrink, too? WTF!?! This is why I have backups of all my application setups, so if anyone wants them, I can say: here ya go! I’m still using both programs in tandem to make backups…I wish I could find out how to contact Lightning_UK (author of DVD Decrypter) and send him more money… :bow:

edit Kerry56, the link to download DVDShrink in your post is still active, so at least people can rush to get it, eh? edit

The link in my first post is one that automatically comes up here at cdfreaks when you type in the name of the program.

Besides, this is just tongue in cheek.

Didn’t anyone else watch the X-Files for years and develop conspiracy theory-itis?

Sorry, I stopped watching X-Files when the conspiracy storyline became the main focus of the entire show. Besides, that guy smoked way too much! :stuck_out_tongue:

copying or mimicing is a basic instinct its how we learn to funtion as a humans :iagree:
how dare people remove (or try to) this basic human right :a :a :a basically its greed and more greed :a :a

i definatly suport any organisation that helps me do this and applaud all the organisations that distribute it freely i remember a label manifacturer trying to patent a round blank circle as a disc label for gods sake how stupid are some of our laws :doh:

DVDShrink is down :frowning: whatever next??

from the ashes something better will arise… never fear :slight_smile:

Mozilla DVD copy :wink: