Anyone bought a Samsung 840 series SSD 250Gig?

vbimport

I am looking for a new SSD I have a samsung 830 series I was wondering if anyone has bought one of the new 840 series and what you think about the new series.
I have read multiple reviews but I really don’t see much difference between the two series maybe someone would be kind enough to explain in simple terms the difference.

Sorry I just noticed the 840 review done here on Myce please either move or delete this post I posted in the wrong section.

The review here was actually the 830 series (it was a late review).

The new 840 series arrives with 2 different SSDs.
The plain 840 uses TLC (triple level cell NAND) and will be about the same speed as the 830, but probably less durable regarding NAND endurance.

The 840 Pro uses Toggle mode 2 MLC NAND, and will be quite a bit faster than the 830 series, and just as durable regarding NAND endurance.

[QUOTE=Dee;2662403]The review here was actually the 830 series (it was a late review).

The new 840 series arrives with 2 different SSDs.
The plain 840 uses TLC (triple level cell NAND) and will be about the same speed as the 830, but probably less durable regarding NAND endurance.

The 840 Pro uses Toggle mode 2 MLC NAND, and will be quite a bit faster than the 830 series, and just as durable regarding NAND endurance.[/QUOTE]Thank you very Much Dee.:flower:

Amazon has the 512gb Samsung 840 Pro listed at 609.00USD but out of stock. I can wait.:flower:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2662728]Amazon has the 512gb Samsung 840 Pro listed at 609.00USD but out of stock. I can wait.:flower:[/QUOTE]for 609.00 I can wait too I opted for the 250gig 840 pro installed and running windows 8 pro.:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=xorsists;2662754]for 609.00 I can wait too I opted for the 250gig 840 pro installed and running windows 8 pro.:)[/QUOTE]

Sounds good. Just for kicks, how does the 840 rate on the Windows experience index :)? Just wondering if the extra speed would show up there and take it above the 8.1 that the 830 shows.

The Tech Report review of the 840 (not the 840 Pro) pretty much slams its performance.

Their advice is to buy the 830 while its still available, or move up to the more expensive 840 Pro.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2664284]The Tech Report review of the 840 (not the 840 Pro) pretty much slams its performance.

Their advice is to buy the 830 while its still available, or move up to the more expensive 840 Pro.[/QUOTE]
From talk around the SSD forums, its exactly as Wendy says, if you want speed and endurance go with the 840Pro. At the Egg it comes with a free copy of Assasins Creed 111.:flower:

My idea is that the 840 Series 256GB will be a larger success. The drive costs less for Samsung to produce and less for consumers to buy. It also consumes less power. Most people would buy 256GB 840 instead of 128GB 840 Pro. Or, maybe the next iteration of TLC NAND-based 850 or something else will arrive sooner than expected.

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2664360]My idea is that the 840 Series 256GB will be a larger success. The drive costs less for Samsung to produce and less for consumers to buy. It also consumes less power. Most people would buy 256GB 840 instead of 128GB 840 Pro. Or, maybe the next iteration of TLC NAND-based 850 or something else will arrive sooner than expected.[/QUOTE]
Kenny, have you heard any talk of an 850 or 850Pro yet? I would think the 850 has to be at least a year away unless someone comes out with a drive that is cheaper and way faster than the 840 Pro, it would cheaper for Samsung to lower the prices on the 840 Pro than to come out with an 850 months after hyping the 840 series.JMHO.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2664375]Kenny, have you heard any talk of an 850 or 850Pro yet? I would think the 850 has to be at least a year away unless someone comes out with a drive that is cheaper and way faster than the 840 Pro, it would cheaper for Samsung to lower the prices on the 840 Pro than to come out with an 850 months after hyping the 840 series.JMHO.[/QUOTE]

The Pro Series is obviously targeted at the higher-end markets. Samsung’s second-generation TLC-based SSDs, or the third ones, do not have to be slower than 840 Pro. I have no more solid data on the endurance or longevity or MTBF or whatever it is of all the drives based on SLC, MLC, and TLC. What I know for very sure is most people were against the switch from SLC to MLC for years. Many of those waited years while most newcomers chose much cheaper MLC drives without ever using SLC ones.

What most reviewers and end users have said on the life cycles of SLC and MLC chips were not based on experiences or hard science, but on whether one first chose to believe FACT X popularized by some seemingly highly knowledgeable person.

The Tech Report reviewer wrote a fine review of one of Samsung’s latest SSD product. Anandtech’s Anand has posted a few good ones. But the overall quality of the various reviews is too low, low enough that I say there’s little sense in anything. I have had deeper trust in what the managers and engineers at Samsung and Toshiba have said, and they mostly proved to be correct. But then humans cannot compete with the rate of social progress lead by technologies that in turn are discovered by themselves. It is often impractical and impossible to expect for the average humans to observe the long-term impact of technological inventions and products on the societies in fairness.

It would have been a much different story if it were Intel or Micron instead of Samsung that lead the massive and bold proliferation of SLC chip-based SSD drives in the mid-1990s. It was a very significant change, but was not discussed significantly enough on most English-language technology websites. Again, the arrival of nearly cheapest SSD drives utilizing one of the latest fabrication processes cannot be interpreted as a progress because it’s by Samsung. It has nearly always been the same with Samsung-made optical disk drives.

Sometimes I feel Oriental languages and characters are savage. Sometimes I feel Western languages are retarded and make retarded people, but that’s something I’ll have to talk about in another space.

To answer the question, there is no reason I can think of why Samsung cannot release, either to retail or OEM, something that is both cheaper and faster than 840 Pro and it should have been clear it costs less for Samsung to make cheap and fast TLC drives than to make existing MLC drives cheaper in the first place since that was exactly why they chose to increase the share of MLC chips years ago and then that of TLC chips in more recent years.

Samsung did not start any “hyping” of the 840 Series drives. The unofficial, independent review performance scores are not that different from the official specifications. The non-Pro 840 Series products are actually fast and cheap drives. Millions of consumers once paid nearly same for SLC and MLC drives. That was when most experts were saying SLC is 1,000 percent more reliable than MLC, or the former lasts 10 times longer than the latter. You now have an opportunity to buy fast enough drives at something like 50% lower prices than MLC counterparts.

I only know of one company that actually sells SLC nand drives and that company is " SuperSspeed". Plus the fact that they only sell a 128gb version for over 200USD is enough for me to say that they are not going to sell very many at that price and the speed to price ratio is over the top.:smiley:
http://www.supersspeed.com/product.asp?proType=SSD(Solid-State Drive)&ct=SSD(Solid-State Drive)

[QUOTE=Kenshin;2664418]I have had deeper trust in what the managers and engineers at Samsung and Toshiba have said, and they mostly proved to be correct. But then humans cannot compete with the rate of social progress lead by technologies that in turn are discovered by themselves. It is often impractical and impossible to expect for the average humans to observe the long-term impact of technological inventions and products on the societies in fairness.

It was a very significant change, but was not discussed significantly enough on most English-language technology websites. Again, the arrival of nearly cheapest SSD drives utilizing one of the latest fabrication processes cannot be interpreted as a progress because it’s by Samsung. It has nearly always been the same with Samsung-made optical disk drives.

Sometimes I feel Oriental languages and characters are savage. Sometimes I feel Western languages are retarded and make retarded people, but that’s something I’ll have to talk about in another space.

You now have an opportunity to buy fast enough drives at something like 50% lower prices than MLC counterparts.[/QUOTE]
I sometimes share your suspicion of the crippling effect of language;).

It is not universal. It did not take me too long after researching and using the Samsung SSDs to be convinced that they are at the forefront of SMART SSD technology. And I’m more than willing to consider that their TLC will not disappoint.

At this point, I think that many people who take the time to do some research have gained some real trust in those Samsung engineers :flower:. I know that I am in awe of my 830s :). In all honesty, when I look at the reliability and firmware strength of the Samsungs, I’m hardly tempted to look any farther.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2664284]The Tech Report review of the 840 (not the 840 Pro) pretty much slams its performance.

Their advice is to buy the 830 while its still available, or move up to the more expensive 840 Pro.[/QUOTE]

Kerry,

I had one of these 250gb 840-series drives in my cart on Newegg tonight, with a promo code for an additional 12% ($21) off (sale price $179, delivery price $158)

And I didn’t buy it.

I was ordering it for a friend and your link to the review talked me out of it.

I have his computer on my bench now with a dead system drive
so I’ve gotta do a full, clean install anyway…

Wow, already a 840 out to the market !
Samsung is so damn fast at releasing products …
I stick to my 830 - 250 Gb for now …