anyDVD won't see drive

Just picked up a JLMS-HD166s LITE-ON DVD reader to feed my LITE-ON 811s writer so I don’t have to swap discs in one drive, HOWEVER… AnyDVD doesn’t list the reader and won’t decode from it. It works fine from the burner though (the burner is listed on the “drives” tab). Any ideas how to get AnyDVD to see the other drive? I’m running version 3.2.1.1. Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by wowarning

I’m running version 3.2.1.1.
Pls update it with the latest AnyDVD 3.5.2.1

The version of AnyDVD didn’t make any difference at all - I tried that. What did the trick was that I switched the jumpers on the drives to swap the master/slave relationship. For some reason that did it!! Just for the record I needed to make the DVD-R/RW the master and the DVD-ROM the slave. Don’t ask me why!

What did the trick was that I switched the jumpers on the drives to swap the master/slave relationship.
For performance reasons these 2 drives should be running on separate IDE channels, e.g. :

JLMS-HD166s - PS
LITE-ON 811s - SM

Hmmmm… you’ve got me thinking. I would agree right off the bat for disc to disc copies, but that is never the case with the DVDs. Wouldn’t the ripping/re-encoding process be quicker with the DVD-ROM and hard drive on separate channels?

Hmmmm… you’ve got me thinking. I would agree right off the bat for disc to disc copies, but that is never the case with the DVDs. Wouldn’t the ripping/re-encoding process be quicker with the DVD-ROM and hard drive on separate channels?

Yes, you’re right!

I would agree right off the bat for disc to disc copies, but that is never the case with the DVDs.
Why not ? E.g. this is the case with the 3d button ‘Write Existing Data’
when copying from the reader ( as source ) to the writer ( as destination ).

FYI, my HDDs are on Promise controller and my DVD writer is SM.
So, I ALWAYS copy the data onto the HDD first.

I don’t know if I’m getting your answer. You say “why not” when I state that I never copy from DVD to DVD and then admit that you copy everything to the HD first yourself. I am always starting with a DVD9, therefore I will never go ‘drive to drive’ because I will always need temp files written to the HD during the process. BTW - I believe it is the second button - “clone DVD” - that performs a DVD5 to DVD5 copy. (If you happen to be starting with DVD5 that is!) Therefore, I would think that the best setup for this type of operation would be:
HDD- pm
DVD-ROM - ss
DVD-R/RW- sm
Does this make sense? The DVD-ROM to HD rip will benefit from being on separate channels, and the HD to DVD-R/RW will also benefit from being on separate channels. I could certainly be wrong, this just seems to make the most sense to me.

I don’t know if I’m getting your answer. You say “why not” when I state that I never copy from DVD to DVD and then admit that you copy everything to the HD first yourself.
It’s because I don’t have an additional DVD-ROM/ writer to copy the files from.
I get the picture and my point was about copying from DVD 2 DVD using the 3rd button,
but since you never do this, the case should be closed. :smiley: