AnyDVD Vs DVD RegionFree

Does anybody know if installing both programs (anydvd and dvd region free) on the same computer, maybe without having them automatically started at PC’s powering on but activating them selectively, may cause some kind of conflict or crash?

Thank you for your suggestion

Mario

Originally posted by taccato
[B]Does anybody know if installing both programs (anydvd and dvd region free) on the same computer, maybe without having them automatically started at PC’s powering on but activating them selectively, may cause some kind of conflict or crash?

Thank you for your suggestion

Mario [/B]

I don’t think so, but why would you want to do this?

…with only anydvd, Instant Copy v.8 beta doesn’t allow me to back up CSS protected DVD’s.
Regionfree instead support this. I read somewhere that anydvd also should, but actually I get an error message.
Even if I use Clone DVD to make back up’s, I just wanted to try Instant to see the difference.
Bye

Originally posted by taccato
…with only anydvd, Instant Copy v.8 beta doesn’t allow me to back up CSS protected DVD’s.

When using Instant, make sure, that AnyDVD’s “Safe Mode” is disabled.
This should work.

thank you Olli. Anyway, Instant isn’t as good as Clone in quality.
I think I will store it in a different folder, may be the recycle bin.
Maybe I should give him one more opportunity.
Bye

Hi
Does anyone know what is the difference between DVD Region Free V3.10 and AnyDVD? I have noticed that you can rip the DVDs using either of them.

Stelios

All I can say is that I had some problems with an earlier version of AnyDVD (probably fixed by now) and so I tried out DVD Region-free and it worked perfectly. I’ve been using it ever since with no problems. Back then it was faster than AnyDVD as well but since I don’t have any experience with the newest version of AnyDVD I’m not sure if that is still true. Either way, when I use DVD R-F with DVD2One it takes only a few seconds more than the normal processing time it would take to run DVD2One. It saves the DVDDecrypter processing time completely. In other words you can do a movie only rip and transcode in about 8-15 minutes. Whole disk is around 20 minutes or so. I’m sold on it.

Hmmm… I must say that I’ve had no problems with the latest versions of AnyDVD and works on everything I throw at it :slight_smile: Works a treat with DVD2One…

So are both programs the same then? What is the difference between them?

Stelios

Originally posted by stelch
[B]So are both programs the same then? What is the difference between them?

Stelios [/B]

IMHO AnyDVD has many advantages. It is more flexible, because it works on a driver level, and doesn’t hook API calls.
In other words: It can do things others can’t, like providing a region free, unprotected DVD systemwide, where other tools hook on specific applications.
DVDRegionFree / Idle hooks Windows functions like CreateFile(), ReadFile() etc.
I am really amazed how well this works, and Fengtao probably did an amazing hard job, but I don’t believe this is a good way to do it. And I personally don’t like software which patches OS functions at all.

AnyDVD is conceptionally superior (although it had some compatibility problems at the beginning). With AnyDVD, you can share a DVD via the Network. You can copy it from the command line. Or with Explorer. With Windows Commander. With any application.
There is no need to invade the address room of any application or to patch any Win32 API calls. Even the Windows OS “thinks” the DVD is region free and unprotected. A clear advantage.

Note: I may be biased, because I was involved in AnyDVD’s development, but this is my humble opinion.

Hi,

DVD Region-Free v3.10 adds support for CloneDVD, you can try it at http://www.dvdidle.com/dvd-region-free.htm.

DVD Region-Free make CloneDVD copy DVD faster than AnyDVD, we have tested it, and you can try both to see the result.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

Olli

Thanks for your expert reply. That is what I wanted to hear. I always use AnyDVd with your program, CloneDVD, witch I find the best for backing up my DVDs. Congratulations for the development of this excellent software!

Stelios

P.S. In your new version I think it would be a good idea to eject the DVD after it has finish reading it.

Hello Cdfreaks,
Given the choice of using DVD REGION FREE or
ANYDVD what would your first choice be and why? I look forward
to all your replies.
Thanks in advance.

Ivanhoe…

The TRUTH is a LIE waiting to be told.

Dear all,

I’m Fengtao, the author of DVD Region-Free.

In my option, DVD Region-Free is better than AnyDVD!

1. I don’t like driver, since it works on kernel space, even a small bug can cause system hang or BSOD!

2. DVD Region-Free will be loaded only when DVD programs startup, if you don’t run it, it will not use any system resource, but AnyDVD will start at windows startup!

3. DVD Region-Free can support all major DVD copy software, such as DVD X Copy XPress, but AnyDVD can’t!

Best Regards,
Fengtao

I dont understand point 3.

Working at driver level, if the software has been written properly in the first place, AnyDVD should work just fine.

Im not away of any issues between DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD - not that you’d use both of them together anyway! - but it still stands that the copy tools you’ve mentioned ‘should’ be doing roughly what DVD Decrypter does. If DVD Decrypter works with AnyDVD, so should DVD X Copy etc.

I also hate the thought of apps hooking onto API calls. I mean, if you cant trust the response from an API call, what can you trust?!

Hi Lightning,

> I dont understand point 3. <

Neither do I.

> Working at driver level, if the software has been written properly in the first place, AnyDVD should work just fine. <

Sure.

> Im not away of any issues between DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD - not that you’d use both of them together anyway! <

Actually, I sometimes use them together, just to make an ISO with DVD Decrypter.

> - but it still stands that the copy tools you’ve mentioned ‘should’ be doing roughly what DVD Decrypter does. If DVD Decrypter works with AnyDVD, so should DVD X Copy etc. <

Sure. Only exception: AnyDVD won’t see I/O from Adaptec ASPI. But Adaptec ASPI should be avoided anyway, every other ASPI should work.

> I also hate the thought of apps hooking onto API calls. I mean, if you cant trust the response from an API call, what can you trust?! <

Exactly. Although DVD Region Free seems to work pretty well, it gives me the creeps that some alien tool invades my process space and patches functions. Shudder. But maybe that’s because I happen to be a programmer. :slight_smile:

Wow!!! Who would have thought that my post would get all 3 great ones here (Olli, fengtao, LIGHTNING UK). I am honored.

Stelios

And ‘Hello’ back Olli!

>> - but it still stands that the copy tools you’ve mentioned ‘should’ be doing roughly what DVD Decrypter does. If DVD Decrypter works with AnyDVD, so should DVD X Copy etc. <

> - Sure. Only exception: AnyDVD won’t see I/O from Adaptec ASPI. But Adaptec ASPI should be avoided anyway, every other ASPI should work.

Yeah why is that I wonder? What is it about Adaptec ASPI that makes it so different? I was looking at a tool called Bus Hound ( http://www.perisoft.net ) the other week and noticed that very thing. Well, I say that… it works ok in 98 but in my Server 2003 environment, it wouldnt see a damn thing! I reported it to them and supposedly they’ve now done something to make it work but it involves looking at the ide controller / pri - sec channel traffic instead of that of the device. I dont really understand how it all works at driver level but I do find it all very interesting!

Hi Lightning,

> Yeah why is that I wonder? <

Because Adaptec ASPI sucks? :slight_smile:

> What is it about Adaptec ASPI that makes it so different? <

It sucks? :rolleyes:

> I was looking at a tool called Bus Hound ( http://www.perisoft.net ) the other week and noticed that very thing. Well, I say that… it works ok in 98 but in my Server 2003 environment, it wouldnt see a damn thing! <

Forgot to mention: AnyDVD works on 9x with Adaptec ASPI, but not on Windows 2000/XP/2003

> I reported it to them and supposedly they’ve now done something to make it work but it involves looking at the ide controller / pri - sec channel traffic instead of that of the device.<

Did I mention that Adaptec ASPI sucks? :stuck_out_tongue:

> I dont really understand how it all works at driver level but I do find it all very interesting! <

Adaptec ASPI actually opens SCSI: drivers directly (via a kernel mode driver aspi.sys, just to make it work in non-admin situations and to create an SRB and send it.

Unfortunately this opens a can of worms for them, Adaptec ASPI is actually broken by design:

1.) They won’t see USB or Firewire Drives, as these devices don’t enumerate as SCSIx: This is a k.o. criteria anyway, I love Firewire! Makes development of writing Software much easier:
Switch off Firewire case, change burner, switch on. No “open computer case, reboot, etc.”

2.) They bypass any lower- & upper filter class drivers, maybe even the bus filter drivers. Drivers like “Hide CDR Media” (CloneCD) or “AnyDVD” or Bus Monitors are bypassed.

3.) They open the controller device object and cache the pointer. As ASPI has no real “Open” or “Close” device/controller Adaptec ASPI likes to crash with a BSOD after adding / removing controllers (remember: VirtualCloneDrive, DAEMON Tools, etc. are SCSI controllers as well!)
The controller can even come and go due to plug & play operations, system configuration changes, etc.
Roxio has very good reason NOT to use Adaptec ASPI in ANY OF THEIR OWN PRODUCTS!

4.) This is all well known for ages, and this is why I have written ElbyCDIO back in 1999 (2000?), and many others have tried themselves in Adaptec ASPI replacements.
There are many well working ASPI alternatives available (I tried those from NERO, RecDev, Poikosoft), all work fine with Bustrace, AnyDVD, etc.

5.) Adaptec ASPI must suck, because if you visit a message board and you find a message like “My CloneCD … CloneDVD … DVDDecrypter … whatever doesn’t work…” you always get the completely useless advise “Hey, you need to install the newest Adaptec ASPI drivers…” Shudder!
It is the same as telling “People, eat shit! It is good! You need it! Millions of flies can’t be wrong!” :slight_smile:

Important notice:
There is no issue or clash between Adaptec ASPI and AnyDVD. No need to worry. If your computer works, it will continue to do so.
Just don’t install it on your next computer.

Olli,

Nice answer!

Its like having my own private in-house teacher :wink:

Ahh i’ve heard of Bustrace… thats the one that looks all pretty. I think I downloaded the trial once upon a time because I really thought it looked the bo… I mean it looked really good, but never took it any further. I cant spend out thousands of pounds to buy software to help me develop a tool I give away for free! I mean, I enjoy making DVD Decrypter but I dont like it that much :wink:

btw, I know it makes marketing sense not to, but its a real shame you dont offer ElbyCDIO for download on its own. I could easily see it replacing that Adaptec ASPI rubbish.