AnyDVD & Vista Build 5744?

anybody try AnyDVD with Windows Vista?

Welcome to the forum.
I have tried AnyDVD on Vista 64bit. It doesn’t work.

64 bit won’t work but the 32 bit will at the moment.

Will there be a version that will work with Vista x64?

I would think so but it will probably happen after the release I would imagine.

ahhh… mine is 64bit.
and it doesnt works… tried it 10 mins ago after installation I lost my CD-Rom drive.

any other dvd copy software better than AnyDVD ?

Do other programs such as DVD Decrypter and RipIt4Me work on Vista?

None of these two work with VISTA 64 bit. almost %90 of all these programs are based on 32 bit structure therefore are incompatable with VISTA 64.

anydvd works on XP 64. so what is the difference between the XP 64 and Vista 64 bit? is it just that anydvd’s driver isn’t signed? if so then you can go to microsoft’s site and search for how to “allow unsigned drivers in Vista 64” (bit). not saying it will work or not cause i don’t have (or want any) Vista. but maybe worth a shot to try and report back to let others know it can or not.

Different kernals I think???

SlySoft (James) as previously answered questions concerning AnyDVD and Vista 64 Bit over two months ago ->

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1508765&postcount=7

BeLooken

I do not think MS will ever allow these types of unsigned drivers on the 64bit Editon of Vista. Just my opinion.

But to watch Hidef on vista you’ll need the 64 bit too. So slysoft might have some work to do.

I just hope the requirement of having signed drivers is not to expressly control which software Bill Gates “likes” or doesn’t “like” (in a DRM sense) and what will or won’t be “allowed” to be loaded onto vista.

Me … I’m happy as a duck with Windows 2000 SP4. …I’m tired of and wary of Redmond’s activations, privacy issues & motivations. I’m ready to switch to Linux when companies like Adobe (and Slysoft?) decide to write cross platform applications.

Whisperer

I agree. As soon as exe files and getting the drivers needed will be the best OS then.

Says who? I believe this information is wrong (you can use XP for HD-DVD/Blu-ray watching, too).

Yah Tru, I remember, from the the threads about region code issues, that you don’t use a player and you watch all your movies off your computer rig. So you should know.

Is your rig sophisticated? dedicated to home entertainment only? HD? can you play dts-ES? do your HDD drive bearings wear out faster from all the activity of movie playing, or maybe you are just playing movies off the DVD-ROM?

Whisperer

Tru I read a news article a month or two ago and if you have a 32 bit you may watch some movies that will downscale the quality so said and sometimes if you do not have the specific harware it may just not play at all. I’m not one to argue but I did see this article. Here is the news article :

Microsoft 32 bit Vista will not support HD movie playback

In another blow to the consumer, not to mention both blue laser formats, Microsoft’s Senior Program Manager, Steve Riley, let it slip during a Microsoft Vista presentation, that “next-generation high definition content will not play in x32 at all.”

Looks like the only way you will be able to playback the new Blu-ray or HD-DVD movies on a HTPC running Windows, will be to make the leap to 64 bit computing. The reason this is a blow to the consumer, is that a lot of folks probably figured that they could simply upgrade their present system with the proper 32 bit Vista version and a blue laser drive, then they would be good to go. But, this will not be possible as Microsoft has folded to Hollywood piracy concerns. This is going to leave a huge percentage of Windows desktops out in the cold, as the vast majority of users presently run 32 bit.

“This is a decision that the Media Player folks made because there are just too many ways right now for unsigned kernel mode code [to compromise content protection]. The media companies asked us to do this and said they don’t want any of their high definition content to play in x32 at all, because of all of the unsigned malware that runs in kernel mode can get around content protection, so we had to do this,” he said.

Well, so much for that. Make sure to read the whole article, as Microsoft is sure that blue laser is not going mainstream on the PC for years. At least they feel by the time it is, “everyone” will be running 64 bit systems. I am beginning to think they are right now. However, it’s almost a self-fulfilling prophecy now, with this bombshell.

How about you bleeding edge CD Freaks out there…how many of us are 64 bit ready now? Even then, how many meet the stringent hardware requirements necessary to output one of these films to a monitor or display, or even intend to in the next year or two?

This must of been their ace up their sleeve to force consumers to go with 64 bit over the 32 bit. A low blow neverless to the consumer I say.

The bold red is the full article.

Yeah, I’ve read this, too. But there was a second press release where someone else from Microsoft denied this statement. Sorry, I can’t remember where I read this, probably in the cdfreaks news section.
And - as a matter of fact - the current Media Center PCs from SONY and Toshiba play HD-DVD/Blu-Ray on XP 32-Bit.

Boy, these guys must be very afraid of AnyDVD. :wink:

This is off-topic, but you asked… :wink:

The PC? Not really. A little old, still AGP, I want to update it to PCI-E in the near future.

Yes, if you count “playing some games” as “home entertainment”. It is quite cool to play games on a big screen.

You mean HD-DVD or Blue-ray? Not yet, as there are no affordable drives available. I will probably start with the external HD-DVD drive for my XBOX-360. Not too big of an investment to give it a try and I am curious how good HD looks on my big screen, and I am hoping it’ll work with PCs as well someday (it has USB2.0 connectors). I see no reason why a software HD-DVD player shouldn’t run on Windows XP (it already does as an OEM version for Toshiba Laptops)
I have not much interest in Blu-ray, as it is region coded, where HD-DVD (still) isn’t.

Yes, when watching NTSC discs. (My DENON amp does the decoding, it is connected to the soundcard via SPD/IF, and the Audio stream is directly sent to the amp). When watching PAL discs I play them with 4% reduced speed and the Denon cannot be used for decoding. In this case the PC is decoding DTS only 5.1 (I use the NVIDIA PureVideo Decoders). Then the 6 channels are resampled to compensate the 4% speed reduction. Then the sound is re-encoded to DTS using an Auzentech soundcard (and to my amazement it still sounds pretty good, even if the sound has to be decoded, resampled, encoded and decoded again). So, with PAL discs I can enjoy the higher picture resolution, but I loose DTS-ES. C’est la vie. Still better as listening to 4% “Mikey-Mouse” PAL-Speedup.

I recently “lost” a HDD drive, but not due to “wear and tear” but overheating. My self made HTPC simply was way too hot inside. My fault. I play most movies from DVD anyway. Sometimes I copy them to harddisk first to adjust the position of the subtitles, so they fit into the CinemaScope 1:2.35 mask of the maskable screen.

@SlySoft: I would love if AnyDVD could do this on the fly! James, pleeeease!!! :bow:

By the way, the big advantage of playing DVDs on a HTPC is, that AnyDVD is running all the time. No more UOPs, Region Code trouble, “Adverts and Trailers”, …
Another advantage is that both NTSC and PAL DVDs can be played 24 fps progessive. No 60Hz, no “3:2 pulldown” judder (NTSC) and no Mikey-Mouse voices (PAL). You’ll love it. :smiley:
But you need a display capable of displaying a frequency of 48 or 72Hz vertical refresh rate (a multiple of 24, which is the frame speed used in cinemas).