Anydvd useage?

Hi,
I have nero recode and I just posted about how to use that under the nero forum.

I just downloaded the trial of anydvd and I am wondering how to us that? I know it runs in the background but I used to use shrink a year or so ago, then got to busy to make backups of my movies.

So now i want to do this and I have read anydvd is the best.

Do I just setup the settings - right now I just left the defaults - “ANY reason not to do that” aside from the language settings or something which are fine for me as they are.

Do I just use recode and then edit the movie? Is recode better then clonedvd or does it matter?

Well clonedvd2 or dvd shrink is better than just recode alone in my opinion.

Note to all we need to say clonedvd2 as there is a clonedvd from a different company as well.

comfortablynumm1 -

Suggest taking a look at the AnyDVD-CloneDVD User Tutorial, which will give you an idea how the AnyDVD software program functions ->

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022

BeLooken

I guess I am confused why you would use two utilities? I notice some people use anydvd to remote the protection, then clonedvd2 and recode to rip it.

Anydvd will just decrypted the drive to copy the DVD you’ll need to use a dvd copying program to back it up onto a DVD.

Description

Experience top quality home theatre! CloneDVD extracts, transcodes and writes any orginal DVD title you like to a single recordable DVD. Be impressed by the program speed and the amazing image quality of the movie copy. A special transcoding technology compresses your choice of DVD title with your selected audio and subtitle streams to one DVD Recordable. A Video Preview plays an overview of all selectable DVD titles. CloneDVD is very easy to use. Our unique Film Strip will guide you step by step through all settings - very suitable for beginners!

Copies movies in top quality!

Extracts, transcodes and writes any orginal DVD title you like to a single recordable DVD

You can include or exclude the original menu

Uses high-quality transcoding technology

EXTRA CRUNCHY: Crunches (compresses) your choice of DVD titles with your selected Audio- and Subtitle Streams to one DVD Recordable

Impressive program speed

Video Preview plays an overview of all selectable DVD titles

Very easy to use: Our unique Film Strip will guide you step by step through all settings - very suitable for beginners!

Image Quality: With an average selection of Audio- and Subtitle streams you will not notice a difference in comparison to the original. No block-artefacts

Preferences: Memorizes the last settings that were made by the user and proposes it the next time the program starts

Works with most hardware and software DVD Players

Writes on DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW

Stable and fast, does not need an ASPI driver

Distinguished technical support und customer care

24 hours, 7 days a week access to new updates and online help

We recommend to use AnyDVD with this software, to be able to copy copy protected DVD’s, if legal in your country.

Simply said, once you set up AnyDVD you don’t bother with it again (except for the many updates). The defaults are fine. If you are using CloneDvd2 (I highly recommend it), you just start it up, AnyDvd starts up automatically. You can compress to DVD5 (with Clonedvd2), split to 2 dvds with no compression, or burn directly to a DL (DVD9) disc. Take out all the extra crap if desired. It is a cinch. Really the easiest and fastest burning program around with excellent quality. And I have almost used them all. It burns to the HD and dvd at the same time, so if your media is defective, you don’t have to rip it again, takes about 8 min. at 8x to burn from the HD at 8x, 15 to 20 min. from beginning to end.

comfortablynumm1 -

Did you review the AnyDVD-CloneDVD User Tutorial (http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?threadid=72022) I provide a Web Link for in my #3 posting in this thread?

In the very first paragraph of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD User Tutorial it clearly states the purpose, function, and use of the AnyDVD-CloneDVD Software Programs.

BeLooken

You may find an easier solution with DVDFab Decrypter, in case AnyDVD doesn’t work.

I prefer DVD Shrink instead of Recode, even though they are written by the same guy.

And I have never had a case where AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 did not work…

I had Memoirs of a Geisha that didn’t work with my copy of AnyDVD, so I asked, found out about RipIt4Me and DVDFab Decrypter, and RipIt4Me handled it no sweat, and that got me leaning away from AnyDVD, at least for a while.

AnyDVD isn’t junk, it’s just sometimes one app handles certain releases / protections sooner than others, depending on what gets updated at what time and all.

I mean, using AnyDVD makes since when it’s been paid for, of course, but it’s good to have free alternatives. :slight_smile:

Hi,
I did read the tutorial. I was more confused on the burning to disk process.

I don’t know what dvd5 or dvd9 is? I use dvd-r’s most the time and edit it to fit on one disc. So how do you do it to two disks? I read that clonedvd2 does a better job at burning then nero recode because of something with the menus staying in tact better, how does that work or happen?

DVD 5 is a Single Layer DVD disk that can hold almost 5 gig of data.

DVD 9 is a Double Layer DVD disk that can hold almost 9 gig of data.

Since Double Layer media is so expensive, many people just use DVD Shrink (or recode or clonedvd) to compress the movie so it fits nicely on the much less expensive Single Layer media. If you can get compression 70% or higher, most folks can’t tell much of a quality drop at all, and 80% or more hardly anyone I know can.

I prefer DVD Shrink for processing the movies. The Re-Author mode is particularly strong, at least to me. But I do not use DVD Shrink to rip anything - only process the already ripped movie.

BTW, there is a good tutorial on DVD Shrink here:

There may be other useful tutorials on his main site too:

http://www.mrbass.org/

Best of luck. :slight_smile:

Me neither

• :bow: AnyDVD rules !

and that goes for AnyDVD with 1ClickDVDCopy also .

:slight_smile:

thx - so beardedkirklander - do you stick to ripit4me these days? I like free to…:slight_smile:

I have been using RipIt4Me and DVDFab Decrypter to rip (mostly RipIt4Me) and have at least temporarily removed my copy of AnyDVD from the system. I will continue to test those two apps and if I’m satisfied, may not reinstall AnyDVD for a while, if at all, except perhaps for testing so that I can be sure of what titles and protections it can still rip. A purchased version should be used, at least every now and then, eh?

Perhaps these recent AnyDVD glitches are just temporary and will soon be fixed or tweaked so that they don’t impact some of the diverse installations out there. I’ll look forward to that time, to be sure.

Memoirs of a Geisha was absolutely no problems for AnyDVD and DVD Shrink, so not sure where you went wrong.
RipIt4Me and DVDFab Decrypter are great free alternatives, BUT, becomes a multi-step process when you have to use Shrink afterwards. I have both DVDFab and RipIt4Me and they are great programs, but I prefer using AnyDVD and processing straight thru DVDShrink, it’s just [B]far[/B] more efficient IMO.

BTW, CloneDVD just outputs a lower video quality when compared with DVD Shrink, Nero Recode (basically Shrink), and 1ClickDVDCopy. Test comparisons here and at Digital Video Forums shows that.

Valid opinions all, except it really would not rip Geisha on my systems. Tech Support said it would be corrected as the product was updated, so if I had just sat back and waited, it would probably have worked out. But luckily I found out about the free alternatives.

Just because you and some others may not have issues with AnyDVD, that certainly does not mean that other systems may not indeed have issues as a result of the software and how it may interact with their hardware, etc.

AnyDVD on all Region 1 DVDs I’ve backed-up has been fully successful. Only RV gave an older version of AnyDVD trouble for me, and that was instantly corrected when I updated to the latest version that was already available at the time.

As far as programs giving some system configurations trouble, I find that it is usually the individual systems’ issues that cause most of the issues and not the programs itself. RipIt4Me and DVDFabDecrypter also has some problems for some users on a regular basis, but that doesn’t mean those programs are flawed does it?.

Just seems too hasty to say that you’d get rid of AnyDVD and use the longer process of RipIt4Me or DVDFab when AnyDVD used with DVDShrink makes it a one-step process. I can understand those who never purchased AnyDVD in the first place, RipIt4Me and DVDFabDecrypter are fantastic[B] free[/B] ripping proggys. But why not just keep AnyDVD when it is so successful for almost all others?

Ultimately it’s your prerogative so I wish you the best results with RipIt4Me :smiley: , But as for me, I’ll stick to AnyDVD, AND I’ll keep my RipIt4Me, DVDFabDecrypter, as well as all my other programs which I’ve come to enjoy, such as VOBBlanker (which can actually rip from the DVD if you have AnyDVD running in the background) :wink: :cool: .