AnyDVD reports region code incorrectly

Hi, I have been using AnyDVD for a while now, but I haven’t had this happen before…

AnyDVD is reporting that one of my DVDs is region free, when infact the disc is region code 3. What reason could this be for?

Testing the disc seperately with DVD Decrypter also gave region free, although Nero InfoTool shows the region code correctly… :eek:

If anyone can help, that would be great

What version of AnyDVD are you using? And did you make sure your selected the country region correctly? AnyDVD emulates Region 1 if you would look through its settings.

I’m using 6.0.8.0 - (yes I just noticed there is an new version just out).

I have AnyDVD to default to Region 2 ---- but! this is the disc - AnyDVD reports the disc wrongly on the main info.

How do you know the region AnyDVD reports is wrong?

Tru - Because the disc is region code 3…

-The DVD is from Korea (region 3 territory)
-My friend has the same DVD and confirmed the disc as region 3 also.
-It reported region 3 in Nero InfoTool.
-It failed to play on my Sony DVD player (standalone) that is region 2 only.

If AnyDVD was correct on the region free status of the disc, it would play on that region 2 player, no?

Korea can have region free discs…

But you said thet DVD Decrypter reported “region free”, too. Maybe the marking in the lead-in of the disc is “free”, but the IFOs say “Region 3” or vice versa? This would be an authoring error.

What error message do you get? If you see a graphic like “this disc is not supposed to play in this region” it is a region free disc with RCE protection.
Post the AnyDVD Info window for more details.
Is your Region 2 Player from Europe (PAL) or Japan (NTSC)?
Region 3 is NTSC, maybe this is the problem? (PAL player refusing to play NTSC disc)

Tru -

-Yes, I know Korea can have region free discs. Infact the bonus disc with this DVD is region free itself.

-This could be a possiblilty.

-Yes, I get an error message silimar to “won’t play because of region” with the player. However, both AnyDVD and DVD Decrypter report that there is no RCE protection.

I will post the AnyDVD info window below. Also, the player definately plays NTSC.

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD 6.0.8.0)
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Media is a Data DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 2 (opposite)
Size of first Layer: 2071856 sectors (4046 MBytes)
Total size: 3912517 sectors (7641 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: I[/I]
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Repaired invalid title search pointer table!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 2!

Hmmm… does the DVD play correctly on the PC with AnyDVD enabled?

Tru -

-Yes it does.

One other thing to note would be that Nero InfoTool reports in the “disc” tab, the format is NTSC 4:3. Now the menus (and maybe some bonus material) are NTSC 4:3, but the main movie is NTSC 16:9.

If the DVD plays correctly while AnyDVD is enabled, the problem must lie some where else.