AnyDVD problems ripping Harry Potter 7a

vbimport

I have had ANyDVDHD for many years and it hasn’t had a problem with tons of other DVDs and Blurays that I’ve thrown at it.
However when I try to rip Harry Potter Year 7 part 1 (blurary - part of the box set) to HDD it gives the following error:
Error reading from drive F:!
Sectors: 4107904-4107935
Sectors: 4107936-4107967
Sectors: 4108032-4108063
Sectors: 4108064-4108095
Sectors: 4108128-4108159
Sectors: 4108160-4108191
Sectors: 4108352-4108383

Also it had as similar problem with Narnia 1 (the Lion, Wardrobe, Witch) Bluray
I have tried updating my anydvd - but same issue
any idea?
thx

The latest version of AnyDVD HD should have no issues breaking encryption for those movies. Which leaves problems in the discs themselves.

You’ve checked for surface scratches and dirt/fingerprints I take it? If there isn’t anything obvious on the discs, then it is probably a poorly made disc, with problems that might not cause severe playback issues, but will stop a decryption program from making a perfect copy.

To make sure that it isn’t an encryption issue, I’d try a different program to rip the disc. We’re not supposed to mention other software in the AnyDVD subforum, but in this case you’ve already purchased AnyDVD HD, and this other program is free to use. Click on Spoiler.

The program is MakeMKV. It is free while in beta, you just need new beta keys from their forum every month or so. To use it, click File–>Backup to get the entire disc onto your hard drive.

I seriously doubt the other program will work, but it is something to try, just to make sure this isn’t an issue in AnyDVD HD.

Yep, discs look fine, and play fine too (I’ve watched the entire movie with the disk in - trying to archive on HDD), I’ll try the other program.

btw - great software (Anydvd).
thx!

Yep - Make MKV ripped it w/o problem.
Any idea why?

No, no idea. Its usually the other way round. Even the author of that program recommends AnyDVD HD when his fails.

But it does go to show that having another option for decryption is always a good thing.

You have not given us any information to help you, what region are these discs, no one else either here or on the Slysoft forum has reported this, it usually a poorly pressed disc and yes it will play but not rip. If you have done this with MakeMKV you must have a setting in AnyDVD wrong. Because if this disc was an issue the board would be lit up like a Christmas tree. There could be other reasons also, please right click on the Fox Head in the Taskbar and create a log file and upload it to here. I wll have a look. You can also try setting your region code if its not set. I can only see these things in a log file , what you posted is useless.

@cgot,

I have had the EXACT same problem with an brand new purchased dvd disc an long time ago !

the Disc had NO scratches (clean surface) just like yours, but scanning the disc gave some unrecoverable read errors !! Which indicates that it is an bad pressed / manufactured disc !!

Yet, the disc played just fine too here… except for a few macroblocks here and there, and THAT is what you should pay attention too !!

Macroblocks/distorted blocked images USUALLY means → read errors ← !! In other cases it means bad compression :stuck_out_tongue: !!

You see, a hardware dvd player may be more forgiving and might jump/skip over the area whit the bad sectors and continue the playback …

Anydvd however will not do that (from my experience) and will stop/fail the rip process eventually !!
Some clone/copy software however will do skip problematic arreas in an attempt to rip the disc from start to END …

But by doing that, not all of the data will be ripped!! and just because of that bad arrea that couldn’t be read/ripped properly. You’ll end whit a bad rip actually !!

that having said, you will be ABLE to watch that DVD rip perfectly on any dvdplayer but you’ll watching the movie with lots of macroblocks / audio skips …

And weird enough the audio/video however will not play out of sync despite of that missing data during the rip process :).

So I got out my Region 1 Harry Potter Year 7 Part 1 Blu-Ray to test and ripped it using AnyDVD HD + ImgBurn without issue.

14:55:58 Operation Started!
14:55:58 Source Device: [5:0:0] HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12NS30 1.03 (E:) (SATA)
14:55:58 Source Media Type: BD-R
14:55:58 Source Media Supported Read Speeds: 2x, 4.1x, 6.1x, 8x
14:55:58 Source Media Supported Write Speeds: 12x
14:55:58 Source Media Sectors: 18,908,320
14:55:58 Source Media Size: 38,724,239,360 bytes
14:55:58 Source Media Volume Identifier: HARRY_POTTER_7_PART_1
14:55:58 Source Media Volume Set Identifier: 02BCD486 HARRY_POTTER_7_PART_1
14:55:58 Source Media Application Identifier: SonicScenaristBD
14:55:58 Source Media Implementation Identifier: SonicScenaristBD
14:55:58 Source Media File System(s): UDF (2.50)
14:55:58 Read Speed (Data/Audio): MAX / MAX
14:55:58 Destination File: X:\BD emp\HARRY_POTTER_7_PART_1.ISO
14:55:58 Destination Free Space: 3,827,537,219,584 Bytes (3,737,829,316.00 KiB) (3,650,223.94 MiB) (3,564.67 GiB)
14:55:58 Destination File System: NTFS
14:55:58 File Splitting: Auto
14:55:59 Read Speed - Effective: 3.3x - 8x, 8x - 3.3x
14:56:03 Reading Session 1 of 1… (1 Track, LBA: 0 - 18908319)
14:56:03 Reading Track 1 of 1… (MODE1/2048, LBA: 0 - 18908319)
15:19:41 Exporting Graph Data…
15:19:41 Graph Data File: C:\Users\HTPC\AppData\Roaming\ImgBurn\Graph Data Files\HL-DT-ST_BDDVDRW_UH12NS30_1.03_SATURDAY-JANUARY-24-2015_2-55_PM_N-A.ibg
15:19:41 Export Successfully Completed!
15:19:41 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:23:42
15:19:41 Average Read Rate: 26,593 KiB/s (6.1x) - Maximum Read Rate: 39,948 KiB/s (9.1x)

^Which points to the problem existing within that particular disc, rather than a problem in encryption. It is possible to get a disc that is badly pressed, or even an entire run with that issue. Earlier discs might not have it, or if they find the problem, later discs might not show it either.

The real question is what is MakeMKV doing differently when it reads the disc? It may not be quite as sensitive to read errors as the ripper in AnyDVD HD.

The sectors could be in some extra feature or secondary audio track that isn’t being read.

If he used MakeMKV in Backup mode as I advised, then the whole disc got copied.

In that case, MakeMKV is doing something slightly different than AnyDVD HD. There have been decrypters for DVD’s that could skip bad sectors, but I wasn’t aware of one doing this with Blu-ray. And you always had to set DVDDecrypter to ignore read errors, it wasn’t automatic.

Of course, I don’t keep up with DVDFab’s capabilities at all. Maybe someone else can chip in with that info.

I’d be interested if his copy made by MakeMKV plays with no hiccups.

I haven’t ripped many blu-rays but I thought I would give this a try.
Using AnyDVD HD as the decrypter I used IsoPuzzle to rip.
This seemed to work fine.
Since the BD’s I ripped weren’t bad . I can’t say how it would work on a “bad” one .
Or if it even will try to read indefinitely on a BD till it gets it read.
Any one else ever give it a try ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2746215]I haven’t ripped many blu-rays but I thought I would give this a try.
Using AnyDVD HD as the decrypter I used IsoPuzzle to rip.
This seemed to work fine.
Since the BD’s I ripped weren’t bad . I can’t say how it would work on a “bad” one .
Or if it even will try to read indefinitely on a BD till it gets it read.
Any one else ever give it a try ?[/QUOTE]
All you have to do with AnyDVDHD is right click on the Fox head in the taskbar and rip to Image and you will have your perfect .iso everytime. You can also just rip the movie to your hardrive in DVD or Bluray complaint standards.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2746221]All you have to do with AnyDVDHD is right click on the Fox head in the taskbar and rip to Image and you will have your perfect .iso everytime. You can also just rip the movie to your hardrive in DVD or Bluray complaint standards.[/QUOTE]
That’s what I’ve done most of the time to .iso .
I will have to try the other rip to Bluray complaint standards .
I have done this with DVDs of course.

The OP seemed to be having problems. With this BD anyway.
It might be a “bad” disc as suggested but MakeMKV apparently ripped it.
The OP didn’t say if the MakeMKV rip/conversion had any artifacts.
I’m with Kerry I would like for the OP to post his results after watching the movie.

I haven’t tried MakeMKV with a blu-ray yet so I’m not sure if it only does a conversion to a .mkv file or will just rip to a BD folder. I plan to though.

The suggestion of IsoPuzzle was for a problem BD .
I tried it but I didn’t have a problem BD & it worked fine.
What I don’t know is if IsoPuzzle will keep trying “forever” on a “bad” BD like it will on a DVD. (If its’ set that way). Until it completes or can’t complete . Also if it will work on multiple drives for the same rip with a “bad” BD .

MakeMKV has three modes cholla.

You can open files on the hard drive (including an ISO). The output will be an MKV.

You can use the Open disc command, and it will make an MKV file from the main movie of your original disc. And if you use the Backup command, it will rip the entire movie to the hard drive in file format. Backup mode only works for Blu-ray, not DVD’s. As far as I’m aware, MakeMKV cannot make an ISO. So it has some limitations compared to AnyDVD HD, but one great addition, which is the ability to make MKV files.

If you happen to run into a Blu-ray that MakeMKV cannot decrypt, it works very well in conjunction with AnyDVD HD.

I did notice that MakeMKV has options to increase read attempts in the I/O tab of preferences. And you can increase the read buffer size. I’ve never messed with either.

Thanks Kerry ,
I DLed the latest version of MakeMKV & I’m giving it a try using the Backup feature.
I said this is an “evaluation” feature for 30 days for blu-ray.
That’s kind of how MakeMKV works anyway isn’t it?
You need to download a new version about every 30 days.
Or is this a permanent limit ?

Still trying to do a quick learning curve on blu-ray & figure out what does what.

Any opinions on using IsoPuzzle ?

MakeMKV does tell you that you have a limited amount of time to use it, but it doesn’t stop you from putting in a new beta key each month or so. When new versions arrive, you need to install them instead of a beta key.

This has been true for a long time now. I have to wonder how much longer it will still be available as a beta.

I don’t see a need for ISOPuzzle with Blu-ray unless you happen to find one that won’t rip any other way.