AnyDVD for Linux?

I was just wondering if you would consider in the near future to consider releasing a AnyDVD for Linux. As i believe if you did you would make a killing as there is currently no software available to do what AnyDVD does for linux. Plus all the Linux software DVD players dont even allow you to watch original DVD’s as they have CSS encyption. This would make it even more a usefull tool than that of its windows version. It is possibly to overcome the CSs problem bit it isnt easy. If there was a simple AnyDVD program running it would save so much agro

Thanks for reading this
Anthony

Yes! And while you’re on it, make a version for MacOSX as well! :slight_smile:

This would be an excellent idea. But are you SURE that there’s no software like this for Linux?

Some guy named Machiner came in here a couple months ago all foul-mouthed and calling me all kinds of derogatory names because I said that this sort of software didn’t exist for Linux.

After all, DeCSS was originally written for Linux!

Heh.

Ok, all joking aside there ARE DeCSS programs for Linux, but nothing like AnyDVD. It would definitely be appreciated, I’m sure.

Absolutely. I could not imagine to build a HTPC without AnyDVD. If there is an AnyDVD for Linux, I could consider Linux as the OS for my next HTPC.
Hmm, is there a DVD player software for Linux, where I can play PAL DVDs with 24fps? (Similar to ZoomPlayer together with ReClock on my XP box)

yup, if there was an anydvd for linux i would be able to completely ditch windows (i can run dvd shrink under wine, and they may port nero recode) and i’d be first in line to buy another license.

of course you can use anydvd under vmware, but they you’re still using windows and it’s slower than native.

libdecss, vobcopy and perl-video-dvdrip are just not good enough.

as for linux dvd players, yes there’s xine and mplayer, easily as good as media player, almost as good as powerdvd - hell you can even make xine look like powerdvd with a skin!

I bet elby will port CloneDVD first. There already is a Mac OSX port, a Linux port shouldn’t be so difficult.

well i’ve never tried clonedvd and for me to buy a linux version they’d have to port anydvd first (bit pointless being able to re-compress if you can’t rip!)

i assume you can do everything recode2 does - full, movie-only, replace extras with still image/colour, remove subtitles, open files/iso/disc, and is it as fast - i usually take 4-7mins for a full backup with recode2.

Same is true for recode.

Even better, it replaces extras with “nothing”, so you don’t even recognise something is missing…

All yes, except “open iso”. But they offer Virtual CloneDrive, so you can mount the iso and read from the drive. And it is as fast as recode.

Be patient. As Microsoft and Apple add DRM to their operating systems, users will be forced to look at alternatives. Linux will be the logical choice since it is (almost) mature enough for the average user. Then we will see applications written to handle the protections in Linux.

(It would be nice if we had it today, though :smiley: )

Good argument. Do you already use Linux for HTPC purposes?

Linux is pretty much the ideal platform for HTPC - try MythTV, much better than WinMCE, and more customisable - there’s so many cools things you can do yourself with Linux - like make fileservers, websites, home automation etc; fancy a web application that can change the channel on your TV whilst you’re at work? Easy!

Cool! Can you play PAL DVDs with 24fps instead of 25fps? (to compensate for the PAL Speedup)

in xine you can specify framerate, not sure about mplayer.

i must say that seems a pretty tall order too (bit fussy) and it all depends on if your computer can keep a constant framerate.

I really should take a deep breath and try out Linux. Do you have a link like “getting started with Linux” or “Linux for ex-Windows dummies”? :slight_smile:
Followed by “how to build a cool HTPC with Linux” :smiley:

Dudes, forgive me but I’m just getting caught up on this subject recently.

Quote: “As Microsoft and Apple add DRM to their operating systems…”

Please tell me what is DRM. Does it stop backing-up. If so, why would MS want to risk loosing some of their customer base?

I use Windows 2000 SP4. Don’t trust XP or Microsoft in general. Should I stop updating service packs because something “bad” might be added to my dedicated and perfectly functioning backup box.

I have always said that I’d dump bill gates the day Adobe writes Photoshop, Pagemaker etc to the Linux platform but if the CloneDVD and AnyDVD programs were written to Linux that would also bump me over to jump into Linux.

Best regards
Whisperer

DRM == Digital Rights Management. Basically means copy-protection, like with iTunes you can only play your music on one machine, not your iPod, PC and Mac. Same goes for the new Napster.

As far as service packs go, well you won’t get any more for 2000 anyway, SP4 is the last, they just released version 2 of Rollup 1.

Windows Media Player 10 already has a load of DRM stuff in it - like reporting back to MS the files you play, or asking for licenses to play music over the internet, or making WMA files you create only work on your PC. Currently it asks your permission and you can turn it off, but soon it may be in your BIOS (thanks VIA!)

In fact Windows Update has a form of DRM now called Windows Genuine Advantage - meaning you have to pass a test and report your system info back to MS before downloading bug fixes. Of course you can get around it, like all other forms of copy-protection.

Microsoft will put this crap in their OS as the movie/music industry demands it (and we all know the RIAA/MPAA run America).

BTW, you can run Photoshop on Linux using WINE, like you can run DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink too, and there’s even a Linux version of Nero, although no Recode.

Well I guess I’ll just keep Win2K SP4 as is without updates. I never ugraded any of my machines to XP because I just don’t trust the buggers. My backup box isn’t connected to the internet for many of the reasons you mentioned. I have been getting my SP updates on one machine and loading them onto my backup box via disk or flash stick rather than log onto MS. and security updates are not a big issue since I’m not connected to the web on that box.

Don’t use or like media player. too much connectivety BS like you said.

I’m a bit afraid of the learning curve involved with Linux but I’ve freakin’ GOT to dump bill gates! The WINE you mentioned must be an “emulation-bubble” that windows programs run inside of. That must have to slow things down considerably. I have many photoshop images that are 2GB in size (including all the graphic effect layers) and I need my super-duper dual processor, 4GB RAM, 7-HDD machine to rotate that image in a reasonable amount of time. Running on WINE emulation, I would assume, the same rotation would test my patience for speed. Just guessing here.

Have you or anyone run DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink or my favorite, CloneDVD/AnyDVD in WINE on Linux yet? Critique anyone?

Thanks
Whisperer

WINE stands for Wine Is Not An Emulator. It basically translates Windows API calls to Linux ones, it doesn’t do hardware emulation, which is why it only runs on x86. You can even get a version of WINE called Cedega that allows you to play DirectX games, so it’s not slow obviously.

Photoshop installs easily and runs great, especially if you use the version of WINE called Crossover Office (named as it was originally written to ease installing MS Office under WINE on Linux).

DVD Decrypter and Shrink are a bit cludgey, but basically everything works, bit of a cow to get setup though.

As is the point of this thread - no, AnyDVD/CloneDVD do not run in any way on Linux - well you can run them under VMWare, but that still means installing Windows.

The only way to learn it is by trying it. Goto Linux forums and web sites and read and do. No easy way to do it (but it is not hard once you get away from the MS way of doing things - no more C:\ drive :clap: ). I personally use SUSE and Gentoo.

So, can I just pull my C Drive out on my Win2K SP4 machine and load Linux onto a fresh HDD and I will boot and work? My 6 other drives are data only. no .exe

What I’m asking is, is the Architecture OK?, Bios work?, IDE stadards?, drive firmwares, partitioning ability etc, etc? Or do I need major changes in hardware?

Thanks
Whisperer