Anydvd doesn't detect my disc?

hey there. i’m new here but i’ve been using anydvd and clone dvd for a while now. i just put in my dvd “the upside of anger” to backup, but the red fox icon fails to change pink and remove the protection from my disc. when i open the drive information box it says there is no disc in my drive, although there physically is. :doh:
i have any dvd enabled, obviously but i can’t get it to start working. i have the newest version (5411)
please help!
-ryan

oh and i tried other discs to make sure it wasn’t a drive problem and they loaded and anydvd came up with a log for them. so it must be my disc…a new form of copy protection?

This is very interesting. I assume this is “The Upside of Anger”, Region Code 1 (US), released July 26, 2005 by New Line Cinema.
Please do the following:

1.) Disable AnyDVD (right mouse click on tray icon). Copy all .IFO files to your harddisk. Zip them into one file. Send them to support(at)slysoft.com. (Replace (at) with @)
2.) Keep the disc in the drive.
3.) Double click AnyDVD icon on desktop. Settings window opens. In the “program” tab, enable writing of logfile.
4.) Enable AnyDVD (right mouse click on tray icon). Wait 15 seconds.
5.) Double click AnyDVD icon on desktop. Settings window opens. In the “program” tab, disable writing of logfile.
6.) In your “My Documents” folder is a file called AnyDVD_log.txt. ZIP it and send it to support(at)slysoft.com. (Replace (at) with @)

When sending mails, please include some meaningful information like:
Original DVD “The Upside of Anger”, Region Code 1 (US), released July 26, 2005 by New Line Cinema, not recognised. Attached are .IFO and AnyDVD log files.

Thank you very much for your help!

After sending the logfile and .ifo files, could you try the previous AnyDVD version 5.3.2.1?
To do this, first uninstall the current version, then install the previous version.
I am asking, because this change in the newest version

• Fix: Long delay when inserting UDF packet written media
    could probably have some undesired side effect.

Thank you for your help!

If certain movies won’t backup do what I do. I have 2 Sony DVD recorders. I use 2 “Clarifiers” to dump the CSS. They work very well, but don’t compress longer movies in the SP mode. The only drawbacks are it takes the length of each movie to burn, and in a case like Troy you have to use the LP mode. They cost $99 each. Go to www.facetvideo.com I have relied on them when my X Copy Platinum was not working. It never hurts to have alt :cool: ernative backup sources. I also have seen some Panasonic recorders for under $200 now. I may seem extreme, but video & audio are my 2 favorite hobbies.

If certain movies won’t backup, do what I do:
Send the ifo files to SlySoft and wait 24 hours for an AnyDVD update.

@ walker1,

You have noble intensions but suggest not clouding the issue that Forum Member bevhillz90210 is reporting.

SlySoft Technical Staff is diligently working on the problem and knowing their track history will quickly get the problem corrected.

Suggesting using some other hardware device and/or software program does not get to the route cause of the problem but only contaminates the posting thread with spurious information.

If AnyDVD-CloneDVD combination are working correctly there is no need to suggest using any other hardware device and/or software program. Let the SlySoft Technical Staff thoroughly look into this problem and all SlySoft customers will benefit for our patience.

Suggest keeping this thread on topic will allow the SlySoft Technical Staff to quickly address the problem that Forum Member bevhillz90210 is reporting.

Best Regards,
bjkg

This is most definetely strange because New Line isn’t Sony. I doubt ARccOS is on that disc.

Unless forum member bevhillz90210 (or someone else having this disc) reveals more information, this will stay a mystery… :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone! The starnge thing is…when i look at “My Computer” and double click my DVD drive, there is nothing at all in the folder. and when i try to play the movie in media player, it says there is no disc. :doh: So I can’t even get to copy the IFO files…but if anyone can get something out of the log i made, like in SlySoft’s instructions, here it is:

(and keep in mind, D: is my dvd drive and G: is a virtual drive, just to avoid confusion)

debug: Drive D: real max_transfer_count = 63, nobypass 0!
debug: Drive G: real max_transfer_count = 33, nobypass 0!
debug: send_scan_cmd 2
debug: send_scan_cmd 0
debug: scan_drives_thread starting…
debug: scan_drives_thread WaitForSingleObject timeout -1!
debug: scan_drives_thread received Message 399c70, CMD 2!
debug: THREADCMD_ENABLE ON!
debug: scan_drives_thread received Message 399c98, CMD 0!
debug: scan_drives_thread start force 0 lock 1 refresh_speed 0!
debug: open_drive D: TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
debug: active
debug: Name F:\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe
debug: Path F:\AnyDVD
debug: medium state: 0
debug: Sending Patchlevel 1
debug: busy
debug: mode 0
debug: open_drive G: AXV CD/DVD-ROM
debug: busy
debug: mode 0
debug: scan_drives_thread WaitForSingleObject timeout 2000!
debug: scan_drives_thread timeout 2000!
debug: open_drive D: TOSHIBA ODD-DVD SD-R5272
debug: open_drive G: AXV CD/DVD-ROM

If you disable AnyDVD, does the disc show up? Does it play in your computer at all? Does it play anywhere at all? Can you try another drive?
I have the strange feeling, that the original disc is defective. I have seen this happen myself.
According to the log, the Toshiba drive does not see the disc at all. I believe that the disc cannot be copied, because it cannot be played as well…

tried disabling anydvd…nothing
doesnt play in the computer but it does play on my dvd player, and even on my cheap one too. just the computer doesn’t recognize it.
and i only have one dvd drive for the computer to try it on. i tried the earlier version of anydvd and it didnt make any difference… :confused: but it sounds like i got a whole team on my side for this problem so i’ll keep checking for an answer.

If the DVD isn’t shown without AnyDVD on your computer, it won’t show with a different version either… :sad:

Sorry, but the only solution is “return the disc” with the words “it doesn’t play on my computer”. As I said, it does happen sometimes that bad pressed DVDs don’t play. They might play in some drives, but not all.
Unless your Toshiba drive is broken, but this is unlikely, if it still plays all your other DVDs.

@ bevhillz90210,

Suggest using Nero CD-DVD Speed (http://www.cdspeed2000.com) and your DVD Drive (No Virtual Drive) to check your original copy of this suspect “The Upside Of Anger" DVD for Mastering Errors. To check a DVD for errors is rather a simple task and Nero CD-DVD Speed is a free diagnostic tool. Below is a Forum link that provides detail information how to use Nero CD-DVD Speed to check for errors. You can obtain a free copy of Nero CD-DVD Speed at (http://www.cdspeed2000.com)

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1044611&postcount=58

As stated above suggest checking your original suspect copy “The Upside Of Anger" for errors. When using Nero CD-DVD Speed if the Scan Disc shows Red (Bad) sectors this reveals errors. These errors are possibly the reason you are having difficulty making a back up copy of this DVD. In this day and age of mass-produced DVDs it is not unusual to receive a defective DVD disk.

Best Regards,
bjkg

Hi bjkg,

Well, he can’t, as the drive does not recognize the disc AT ALL. The disc does not play or read AT ALL in his computer. He must return it or try another drive in case his Toshiba drive is broken (which I doubt).

I think we’ve come to the conclusion of “defective disc”. I’ll take it back tonight, thanks everyone! I’l be back to this forum for sure!
-Ryan

I am new to this site but I have had a lot of practice backing up disks. I ran into this thread because I too was having the same exact problem. I bought Alias Season 2: Disk 2 and it ran perfectly on my DVD player but when I put it in my DVD drive in my computer, it never would even register the disk as being there. I checked other DVD’s and my computer had no problem whatsoever recognizing them. When I examined the Alias disk, I noticed that there was a layer of a film on the base of the disk that had a bunch of visible lines that go at an angle accross the regular lines of information on the disk. I went and got another Alias disk and noticed that there were not any lines on the new one. This disk was completely readable and gave me no problems. It seems as though somehow, this film that they put on the bottom of the disk made my computer unable to read or play the disk but let regular DVD players play it with no problem. I hope this is solved soon because this could really become a problem for me and my backing up habits.

There is nothing to be solved. Video DVDs are supposed to be watched on Computers, not only in standalone units. Your disc is defective. Replace it.

Well, I’m glad you feel confident about this but I don’t buy that it’s just a defective disk. Obviously, it is defective by the definition that it doesn’t work exactly how it’s supposed to but I think there’s more to this since the DVD’s will still run on a regular DVD player with no problem. It makes sense to me that these companies, I got my disk from Blockbuster, could put something on the bottom of their disks to prevent computers from reading them. The lines on the bottom of the disk were not just scratches. They were there by design and with only that one apparent difference between the disk that worked on the pc and the disk that didn’t, I think it’s a anti-copy protection. I’ll keep my eye out for more disks like this and update here.

Unless there is something specifically on the licence agreement for the disc that says it won’t play in a computer I would take it back - DVD Video is an accepted standard, and should play in any device that is DVD video compliant.

@ DougFreaky,

I believe you are unaware as to exactly how Commercial DVD are manufactured.

Commercial DVDs are “pressed” and not “burner” as blank DVD media is burned on your DVD Burner.

I can assure you that Blockbuster did not somehow “put something on the bottom of their disks to prevent computers from reading them”. There is absolutely no reason for them to even attempt to do this. If they did it would be illegal because they are not the owner of the copy write material. The Motion Picture Studio that produced the DVD title is copy write owner of the material and only they have the legal right to alter the DVD. It is obvious from your description of the under side of the DVD title that it contains mastering errors that were induced when the DVD title was manufactured.

It appears that you doubt the information that knowledgeable Forum Members are providing to you. Isn’t the reason you visited this Forum was to seek information concerning your problem. When the information is provided you suddenly become more knowledgeable then experienced knowledgeable Forum Members. In this day and age of mass-produced DVDs it is not unusual to occasionally acquire a DVD that was improperly manufactured.

Strongly suggest that you return the problematic DVD and inform the retailer that the particular DVD skips and freezers during play back. The retailer is not going to take the time and effort to view the entire DVD looking for skips and freezers. If Blockbuster is where you purchased this problematic DVD they are fully aware that there are DVD that were improperly manufactured and contain mastering errors. They routinely deal with this problem all the time.

Look at your computer play back device. It has the little “DVD” logo on the front of it. Look at your commercial DVD title and you will also see that it has the little “DVD’ logo on it. That means that this commercial DVD title is legally required to play in that device. If it doesn’t you have the legal right to demand a replacement or a total refund. That’s the law. So if your commercial DVD title with the “DVD” logo doesn’t play in your computer you have the right to either demand a replacement or a total refund.

Best Regards,
bjkg