AnyDVD creates wrong structure?

vbimport

I just noticed something today after creating a backup. It was a movie with CSS protection and nothing else. With AnyDVD running I created an image of the disc with CloneCD and then burnt it. When I placed the backup in the drive AnyDVD then said it “Found & removed wrong DVD structure!” on the backup. AnyDVD previously identified a normal structure on the original. I tried the above process again on an older DVD of mine that just had CSS protection and the AnyDVD identified that backup as “Found & removed wrong DVD structure!”

Is AnyDVD changing something in the structure that would cause a backup to be identified this way when the original wasn’t?

Follow these instructions.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182650

DB,
Not my forte, but are you sure the OP’s messages are abnormal??

I am not sure how CloneCD works with AnyDVD but could you try making a ISO by other means? i.e. rip the DVD to your hard drive and covert it to an ISO using ImgBurn. Mount it using Daemon Tools or Virtual CloneDrive. Then you can see if CloneCD messed it up or AnyDVD.

I would also recommend send the IFOs off to Slysoft.

I using AnyDVD 6.1.0.2 and CloneCD 5.3.0.1. The CloneCD images are being burnt using ImgBurn 2.1.0.0.

I’m using CloneCD to maintain the layer break for DVD+R DL discs. To rip it with something else and then create an ISO to burn wouldn’t accomplish this. I guess I could try DVD Decrypter in ISO mode.

I made a few more images of discs using AnyDVD and CloneCD. It’s intermittent and occurs on and off in all vintage of discs (2 years old and 6 months old, ect.) I also mounted the images to Virtual Clone Drive and AnyDVD detects some have the wrong DVD structure on the Virtual drive too. Remember these are images from originals that AnyDVD never detected a wrong DVD structure on to begin with.

I beginning to wonder if this is happening on discs with RCE protection on the originals.

I also ripped the backups to the hard drive using CloneDVD to see if it could detect any problems on the backups that AnyDVD identified with wrong DVD structures and it handled them find without identifying any errors.

There’s something on some of the originals that AnyDVD is changing that is later being identified by AnyDVD as “Found & removed wrong DVD structure!” when you put the backup in the DVD-ROM drive. I’ll look into it more to see if it just backups of originals with RCE protection. This is occuring on older DVD’s (2 years ago) before any of the latest protections were introduced. Or put another way, from a time when it was just CSS and RCE protection.

Why? Clonecd burns and retains the original layer break when using Verbatim +R DL media.

Correct. I use CloneCD to make the original image with AnyDVD running in the background. ImgBurn burns the CloneCD images fine and allows me to verify the burn whereas CloneCD doesn’t. CloneCD also doesn’t display the device buffer status when writing to DVD’s where ImgBurn does.

I like CloneCD. I paid for it. ImgBurn just does a couple things better in the DVD burning arena.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. I personally use CloneCD for my " OntheFly" backups. I like it.:wink:

You are right, this should not happen. However, I would not worry much about this, AnyDVD is very sensitive when showing the “wrong DVD structure” message. Maybe a little over sensitive.
I will look into this problem.

Thank you for your reply. I enjoy reading about why people prefer to use the applications they use in conjunction with Slysoft products.

I prefer not having to rip to my hard drive first before I burn. With an 8 meg buffer (and burning at slow speeds), I can produce decent burns “on the fly” using Clonecd–whereas, Imgburn cannot.

I haven’t had any problems with the backup discs on any of my DVD players. It just peaked my interest when I noticed it.

If you want an example to look at, my last disc I backed up while testing this out was XXX - Widescreen Special Edition R1 - NTSC.

AnyDVD reads the original disc as:

Video DVD (or CD) label: XXX
Media is CSS protected!
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

Found & removed RCE protection!
DVD structure appears to be correct.
Structural copy protection not found.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

After creating an image of the original with CloneCD and writing it with ImgBurn to a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc AnyDVD identifies the backup as:

Video DVD (or CD) label: XXX
Media is not CSS protected.
Video Standard: NTSC
Media is region free.

RCE protection not found.
Found & removed wrong DVD structure!
Structural copy protection not found.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

I don’t think I’ve seen this problem on discs without RCE protection on the originals yet.

I use Nero’s “Copy DVD” function to back up discs, this maintains all original file dates, disk label, and copies all content, including DVD-ROM content. CloneDVD only copies VIDEO_TS and it changes the file dates and the disc ID. Not that big a deal for some but I want something as close to the original as possible.

Clone CD doesn’t seem to have a way to not ignore read errors. Nero can be configured to stop if a sector can’t be read. That way, you can check to see if the disc needs cleaned, etc., and try again.

Anyway, using the Nero “Copy DVD” function, sometimes a copied disc will make AnyDVD return “wrong DVD structure”. I have noticed that it has been this way since AnyDVD 5.x, and I have not had any problems at all with the copied discs that return the “wrong DVD structure” message from AnyDVD.

I can’t answer why AnyDVD sometimes gives the “wrong DVD structure” message, but I can say that I don’t believe it’s anything to worry about.

I’m not so sure that CloneCD ignores read errors on DVD’s. I put in a badly scratched original DVD I had lying around and CloneCD came back with a bunch of Cannot read Sector errors in the log window. I would say if you don’t see any read errors in the CloneCD log window then you should be fine for backing up a DVD. Am I overlooking something?