AnyDVD blacklisted by SecuROM 7?

I found that SecuROM 7 is blacklisting AnyDVD or at least some of its functions. Everytime I enable AnyDVD I get a “Emulation detected” error from my SecuROM 7 protected titles :frowning:

Return the game to your dealer with the word “does not work”.

It’s not a game, it’s an encyclopedia like Encarta. It runs fine without AnyDVD, but I would like to use AnyDVD and run it too. Can’t you solve the blacklist? I know that SecuROM isn’t being fair, afterall, AnyDVD is not an emulation tool like Daemon Tools, but blacklists can be fixed.

Nope. AnyDVD is not “blacklisted”. SecuROM detects, that there is a driver involved in the data transfer and alerts. Sony needs to fix this. A lot of recent applications fixed this problem with a patch. Ask the publisher. If he does not respond, return the program.

I own the OAL Dictionary which is also protected by SecuRom 7. I copied it to my HD and it works fine with alcohol and anydvd installed.

Yep, defective copy protection.

There have been some infamous cases of this happening. Back when Neverwinter Nights was first released, Sony slipped in a patch about a month after the game was out that wouldn’t let you play… if you had a CD burner in your system. The problem? EVERYONE has a CD burner. So pretty much 99% of the users couldn’t play the game. Worse it took them 2 weeks to fix it. It was a gigantic debacle that led to Bioware (the game company) completely removing SecuROM from the game so that the players could play the game. It defeated the very purpose of the copy protection.

Sony needs to fix this. They’ve had a bad time recently with copy protection (read the news to hear about their rootkit woes) and I’m sure they’ll rectify the situation.

I hate to say it, but sometimes us legal owners of programs need to resort… to cracks. Sad, but true! I can’t say where to get them, or advocate them further, but that’s just the way it is.

I like to agree, but sometimes it is better to slap the program in the face of the dealer / publisher. As long as everybody buys & pays for non working copy protections, they will continue doing it.
Similar with other more and more common annoyances, like “license keys bound to your computer hardware”. Microsoft made it popular with its product activation. As long as you have a choice, buy a product that does not require activation. Onless you have to buy Windows XP, you usually (still?) have alternatives.

[QUOTE=SlySoft;1226871]Nope. AnyDVD is not “blacklisted”. SecuROM detects, that there is a driver involved in the data transfer and alerts. Sony needs to fix this. A lot of recent applications fixed this problem with a patch. Ask the publisher. If he does not respond, return the program.[/QUOTE]

most likely its the ‘hide atip’ function, and its arguable sure, but that can be used to ‘bypass’ copy protection, which is probably why its blacklisted…

:doh: