AnyDVD and multiple accounts with windows XP

vbimport

anydvd 5.9.4.1
windows xp home sp2

I installed anydvd under my login for windows xp and all is working great. When my wife logs into the same machine on her account she is not able to start anydvd. There are no errors reported, but the program doesn’t seem to start.

I checked the task manager and cannot find an instance of anydvd.exe running while logged into her account.

Any help is appreciated.

imcndn

Have you simply tried clicking on the anydvd executable file to see if it starts. It may be simply that a shortcut is not set up in your wife’s user profile.

Are you are still logged on (fast user switch)? In this case, AnyDVD will be running on your user account, so it cannot be started from your wife’s account. It will still be working, only your wife cannot access AnyDVD’s user interface. Are you sure that AnyDVD is not running when checking task manager?

Issues arise when you have different logins. If you cannot run it from her profile, check in the folder, under her login for the Application Data folder and see if it matches yours. In some cases, my company’s for instance, If the software is installed on one users login, a folder under the Application Data is created. Unless that folder is copied to the default user, as well as the other users, the program will not run.
I cannot say for sure this is the problem; but it is one area with our software that we have found to be a problem.
Good luck.

May I install Any dvd on my laptop and desktop oris there an online activation…

You may, and there is NO online activation, of course!
(Never buy software with online product activation - it sucks!)

Anapod (for iPod) being the perfect example of good software with atrocious online activation!

I don’t care if the online activation is atrocious or not, I refuse to support/buy/whatever anything with online activation.
The only exception is probably the Windows OS - I am afraid that I can’t stay on Windows 2000 pro forever. But for every other software there still is an alternative available. 1-click DVD copy, Norton AntiVirus, Microsoft Office 2003, Adobe, Sonic DVD-Player, DVDXcopy, … will never get my money. They can stick their online/product activation right up their a**.
And I can assure you, Half-Life2 was the last software I have bought from Valve. They can stick their steam whever they want.
(And if they ever release Half-Life3, it will be hell for me to resist the temptation, trust me!)

[Off topic personal rant on]
And please, do not use cracks or other means to bypass the online activation. I am the customer, I pay for a product, I can vote with my wallet.
Don’t use a crack of these programs and think “hey, these bastards! I won’t give you my money because of your online activation!”. No, use software from a different vendor. Give those vendors your money, who respect their customers. They deserve it. Make them rich. Let the others starve.
[Off topic personal rant off]

Tru, why you dont like software with online activation?

Because it treats the users like criminals, for one. It ONLY inconveniences legitimate users. It’s just generally a royal pain in the a$$. I’m a software engineer and I truly HATE activation. It serves ZERO purpose other than to piss off the legitimate customer base.

Is that a trick question?

:iagree:

Nop, I really want to know why you dont like software with online activation. I am curious about it.

That not answer the question. Why it treat users like criminals? Please give details answers. I dont see real reasons. Sorry for bother you, but I really want to know. I think that using online activation, keep pirates out of re-use a registry key. If you hate activation what other way existsyou can make a user to buy a program, like making trials version, or limits functions

I’m sorry, but, you’re wrong. It is most DEFINITELY an answer to the question. By requiring activation, you’re punishing users who paid you good money. It’s an inconvenience to them. Why make them activate? You REALLY are naive enough to think a pirate is going to be stopped by activation? ROFLMAO! Please. NO pirate is going to be bothered with activation…they’ll use a cracked version. So, you make paying customers suffer with the pain in the a$$ activation crap, while the pirate gets the program for free and uses a “clean” copy. What I advocate is what Slysoft does…treating the customer with freaking respect! A simple key system is enough…it keeps honest people honest and makes it at least some work for the pirate. It’s inevitible that the program WILL be hacked and posted all over the Net. DRM in general assumes you believe your customer, who again, paid you money, is out to rip you off. Is that really a good business model to have?? That’s what I mean by treating your customer like a criminal…it’s a mindset that you, as the software author, assume that your legitimate user is going to post your software all over the Net so you must protect yourself from the people giving you money. What a joke.

EDIT: I just reread this and realize I may have come across as giving you a hard time and that’s not my intention at all. So, if I offended you in any way with this post, I apologize. I just have REALLY strong feelings about this, and as a software engineer, I have an appreciation for both sides of this issue.