AnyDVD and DVDShrink files

I am using ANYDVD and DVDShrink, and it seems to be working rather well together. My question is this: What do I need to do with the other, non .vob files in the folder, if I want to join all the vob files together? I just backed up Eagle Eye with DVD Shrink, and it created 6 vob files - VTS_01_1.vob to VTS_01_6.vob, plus the VIDEO_TS.BUP, VIDEO_TS.IFO, the VTS_01_0.BUP and VTS_01_0.IFO. What are those other 4 files for? If I double click either IFO file, WinDVD will open, but not play anything. I would like to join the vob files together and transfer them to a NAS for streaming with TWonkyMedia to my PS3.

a short read here may help to answer your question

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f72/tutorial-dvd-video-file-structure-77646/

Thank you for the link. It was somewhat helpful. Now that I understand what the IFO file does, can I rename it and the joined VOB files and still have it do what it is supposed to do? How would I do it? Should I call the files EAGLE_EYE_01_1.VOB and EAGLE_EYE_01_0.IFO and EAGLE_EYE_TS.IFO? Or change the name to just EAGLE_EYE.VOB? When TVersity sees these files, it only reads them as the individual VOB files.

[QUOTE=rynosims;2215769]Thank you for the link. It was somewhat helpful. Now that I understand what the IFO file does, can I rename it and the joined VOB files and still have it do what it is supposed to do? How would I do it? Should I call the files EAGLE_EYE_01_1.VOB and EAGLE_EYE_01_0.IFO and EAGLE_EYE_TS.IFO? Or change the name to just EAGLE_EYE.VOB? When TVersity sees these files, it only reads them as the individual VOB files.[/QUOTE]

You do know you already have Anydvd that can rip the file to HDD or image right? Have you tried it that way yet? And see if you can put it on the NAS and stream it from TWonkyMedia???

I didn’t know AnyDVD did that. I’ll have to give it a try when I get home. Does it rip into 1 file or multiple files? I’ll play with it tonight for sure. I don’t have the NAS yet, looking to purchase within the week. I’m just using an external USB HDD for right now.

[QUOTE=rynosims;2216048]I didn’t know AnyDVD did that. I’ll have to give it a try when I get home. Does it rip into 1 file or multiple files? I’ll play with it tonight for sure. I don’t have the NAS yet, looking to purchase within the week. I’m just using an external USB HDD for right now.[/QUOTE]

It should rip into a single large file, I haven’t used it but from what other have said it can rip to video file or image.

I used AnyDVD to rip a movie, and it ripped it into several vob files. I figured hot to merge all the files into one big vob file. Now I just have to convert them to something that I can stream to my PS3. Thanks for the help!

Now that you’ve got the vobs on HDD, merge all with VobMerge or VOB2MPG…no re-encoding involved…stream your single .VOB or.MPG to the PS3…try it…
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/VOBMerge

t0nee1 ;You showed me that this could be done with DVDShrink using Main movie .
rynosims; Take a look at this topic:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/dvd-decrypter-264277/#post2211907

[QUOTE=cholla;2218489]t0nee1 ;You showed me that this could be done with DVDShrink using Main movie .
rynosims; Take a look at this topic:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/dvd-decrypter-264277/#post2211907[/QUOTE]

Yes,but since they’ve already ripped to HDD, I suggested merging vobs instead…
However,if the OP wants to re-rip from original or simply backup from ripped files , yes DVDshrink will backup to single VOB…:cool:

t0nee1; I had a decrypted BU of a movie on the HDD I hadn’t deleted yet .I ran it through DVDShrink & got the 1 large .vob .So no need to re-rip.DVDShrink works fine from the files on the HDD.
Of course it has the .ifo & .bup files Shrink puts in but just 1 large .vob.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2216131]It should rip into a single large file, I haven’t used it but from what other have said it can rip to video file or image.[/QUOTE]
coolcolors ; The AnyDVD rip Video DVD to hard disc give you the standard DVD file format usually with many .vob & ifo & .bup files.
The .iso or image file is a single file but as you know if you open it with a virtual drive the image will have the same standard DVD files & folders.

I don’t really understand about .iso files and mounting them and what not. I tried ripping to an .iso file once, but I had no idea what to do with it once it was created. I should do a little more research on that. The PS3 won’t play an .iso file, will it? I don’t have my PS3 here, so I can’t test it out. I only have my Xbox 360.

rynosims ; You don’t need to do this with an .iso(one of the image file formats).Although the .iso would appear as one large file just viewed with Windows Explorer it really is not.To actually veiw an .iso file you would need a virtual drive.An .iso mounted in a virtual drive then opened would look identical to the DVD file format of the same movie.
Many softwares can also work with the .iso file but it will still contain several .vob files.
DVDShrink used as in the link I posted will give you a single large .vob file in a VIDEO_TS folder.There will also be .ifo & bup files in the folder.
Whether you can play this large single .vob on your ps3 or XBox .I don’t know.

I ended up using the DOS copy method and joined the vob files together. Then I used Auto Gordian Knot 2.55 to convert the 1 vob file to an AVI file. This only took a little over an hour, and the picture looks good. I am not at home, so I can’t view it over my HDTV yet, but only a couple days left! I tried to watch through my XBox 360 using Media Center, but it won’t play. It will play using Media Player though. Weird. I downloaded ffdshow, and now the AVI file will play using Media Center on my PC, but not through the XBox. I’ll have to research this some more too. I won’t know for a couple days if it will play through my PS3 or not. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the info and help. I’m sure I’ll have a couple more questions!

And I did figure out how to make a single vob file with DVDShrink. I still like that program over all others.